Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2010, 10:42 PM   #1

Overheating on climbs

Just got back from a recent trip into the mountains. Everything went well until suddenly, on a climb, the 'check engine' light came on and I noticed that the engine was overheating. The transmission temp seemed fine. Let it cool down, then I had a 5 mile grade that I took at 2000 RPMs at a speed of about 25mph and it did not overheat. Drove on the flat at 65mph and it did not overheat. It seems to occur at RPMs over 3000 while climbing. Any ideas? It's Saturday, Ford dealership opens Monday but I would like to be on the road if I can fix it.
Hankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 10:55 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Did you have the AC on? The air blows thru the AC's condensor that is mounted in from of the radiator. This air is hot due to passing by the hot fins of the condensor. The hot air cannot pick up heat from the radiator fins, which can cause overheating.

An old trick (mind you uncomfortable) to reduce overheating, is to turn on your heater. The heater core is a small radiator & when the heater fan blows air thru the core, it can help lower the temp of the engine's coolant.

https://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/3...600x600Q85.jpg
revrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 11:03 PM   #3

Possible malfunctioning fan clutch (If so equipped) or bad thermal switch on the electric radiator fan (if so equipped), dirty or clogged radiator fins. Also may be bad water thermostat.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 08:26 AM   #4

What was the outside temp at the time? I am sure you have checked coolant level by now. By viewing your profile I see you own '07 G'town. Should not be giving problems already unless you have put a bunch of miles on it or maybe it has been sitting for 2 years..! One is as bad as the other as far as maintenance is concerned. Check the belt tensioner to be sure it is not stuck. Fan clutches are hard to check for correct operation. As the air passing through the radiator becomes hotter the "clutch" mechanism for the fan engages to let the fan draw more air through the radiator. Checking the clutch requires blowing hot air on a cool fan clutch to check engagement. Also worth noting, pure water cools more efficiently than anti-freeze. People who live in very cold climates have to use a stronger mix ratio for their coolant. There are those that prescribe to the "more is better" theory when changing coolant and will put a mixture in the radiator that is not capable of cooling efficiently in extreme heat conditions. Check for any kind of leaks that could be finding their way to your belt making it slip. Please post the results if you or the dealer find your problem as it will help us all.
Old 08-22-2010, 11:03 AM   #5

check ford fan clutch..issues in the past
ravenmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:17 PM   #6

Addendum. Took the motorhome over the north Cascade highway in Washington, left the heater on the whole time and it never overheated. Took it into Ford dealer this morning, there was a "Technical Service Bulletin" issued by Ford on this problem. They have replaced the coolant crossover tube (which is where the problem lies) and the thermostat. They roadtested it and it appears okay. Next trip, in 2 weeks, to Arizona from Vancouver Canada will tell the story.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:20 PM   #7

Thanks a bunch for the information, I will have to call Ford and check into that on ours.
www.nwjeepn.com
Old 09-01-2010, 11:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankster View Post
Addendum. Took the motorhome over the north Cascade highway in Washington, left the heater on the whole time and it never overheated. Took it into Ford dealer this morning, there was a "Technical Service Bulletin" issued by Ford on this problem. They have replaced the coolant crossover tube (which is where the problem lies) and the thermostat. They roadtested it and it appears okay. Next trip, in 2 weeks, to Arizona from Vancouver Canada will tell the story.
Great update. Hope that solved your over heating issue.
You coming to Arizona to see the Grand Canyon or are you Snow Birds?

Weather will be perfect when you arrive.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:21 PM   #9

I'm glad you found the problem and it sounds like it was easily fixed. Our Georgetown didn't overheat (even in Arizona with 112 temps and the a/c blasting) or on long grades so I wonder if in subsequent years they addressed that problem?
days camped in 2011: 37 (up to Aug 1st)
2Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:16 AM   #10

thanks eveyone for your suggestions. The work done by my Ford dealership was covered under warranty (I have a 2007 Georgetown on a 2006 F53 platform). Heading out on a 6 week trip through Montana, Utah, Arizona and will hope to hit New Mexico and possibly Colorado. Should be a great test for the motorhome.
Old 09-02-2010, 01:40 PM   #11

They must have fixed that on later chassis as we have an '09 GT on an '08 chassis and have been to AZ and back towing a heavy toad with high temps and neither the coolant temp or the transmission temp has ever gone above 1/2 way.
www.nwjeepn.com
Old 09-02-2010, 02:46 PM   #12
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankster View Post
thanks eveyone for your suggestions. The work done by my Ford dealership was covered under warranty (I have a 2007 Georgetown on a 2006 F53 platform). Heading out on a 6 week trip through Montana, Utah, Arizona and will hope to hit New Mexico and possibly Colorado. Should be a great test for the motorhome.
I have the same 2006 Chassis on a 2007 Georgetown 370. By chance do you know the number for the TSB?

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 07:22 PM   #13

Went on a short road trip with the motorhome, no problems with overheating, although I did have a problem with the jacks and slide outs. Thanks to the forum, I found the answer and fixed it myself. Someone asked about the Technical Service Bulletin, sorry for the late reply but I was away. It is TSB 06-21-15 for the coolant crossover pipe.
Old 10-09-2010, 10:51 PM   #14

Final update on this old problem. We have driven from Montana, through Wyoming, Colorado, New Mexico and now in Arizona without any overheating problems, actually, without any problems at all (except for snow in north-west Montana). I hope any information I have left here will help someone else.
Hankster
Old 10-10-2010, 05:59 AM   #15

Following your travels, I was wondering if you drove the highway from Ouray Colorado to Durango, on the Million Dollar Highway? I haven't been that way for years, but do remember it as being hairy even in a car. Considering going that way next year, want to do some offroad riding around Silverton, but not sure if I really want to pull my rig up there.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 07:32 PM   #16
Jan Goldfield

I have driven all over Colorado from Silverton to Durango and back, the million dollar hwy and jeeped in Ouray. I would be afraid of trying to pull an RV through some of those roads.

2009 Cherokee Grey Wolf 28BH
2009 Ford 150
pondlady is offline   Reply With Quote