Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2012, 07:41 AM   #1

Paint on 2011 378

My paint job is the best I've ever seen on an RV...I question whether I should wax it & if so, what kind of was to use?
They must have several coats of clear coat on paint .

Please advise...thanks.
levendoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:06 AM   #2
CLASS "A" Senior Member

I use Mothers on my coach. A fellow in Myrtle Beach that details RVs for a living recommended it due to the ease of use and no problems with streaking. There are plenty of products to chose from different companies. This is just what I use. I have no complaints about it.

Mothers® Product Line Guide

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:50 AM   #3

What color is your 2011 378??
armye7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:56 AM   #4
Kanadian Kamper

Yo Charlie.........

Your last sentence was " I have no complaints about it."

So, if I'm not being too bold, what time might I expect you to drop by to do our rig?

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:11 AM   #5

Service Manager at the dealer we bought from says they have been using Mother's on all their units for years with good results.....I figure with them being in the sales business they oughta know so I'm going to stick with Mothers as well....wax on, wax off, sip beer, wax on, wax off, sip beer <--- repeat many, many times
SinkorSwim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:01 PM   #6

Ive been washing mine with old timers rv wash and wax since new and it shines so bright that I never thought about doing anything else to it.
johnnypal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:48 PM   #7

Send a message via MSN to nemo45 Send a message via Yahoo to nemo45
Quote:
Originally Posted by levendoski View Post
My paint job is the best I've ever seen on an RV...I question whether I should wax it & if so, what kind of was to use?
They must have several coats of clear coat on paint .

Please advise...thanks.
There are 2 coats of clearcoat.
nemo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:31 PM   #8
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Yo Charlie.........

Your last sentence was " I have no complaints about it."

So, if I'm not being too bold, what time might I expect you to drop by to do our rig?
Guess I should have included a little more info meaning I have no complaints about Mother's Wax. So I'll be over last week to take care of it for you.

Didn't I do a good quick job? I bet you didn't even see me!

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Old 02-24-2012, 08:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfsoistman View Post
I use Mothers on my coach. A fellow in Myrtle Beach that details RVs for a living recommended it due to the ease of use and no problems with streaking. There are plenty of products to chose from different companies. This is just what I use. I have no complaints about it.

Mothers® Product Line Guide
Hey Charlie,
So which Mothers product do you use, due to the ease of use and no streaking. The regular or the synthetic or?

Thanks and Happy motoring
barlin44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:29 PM   #10

With clearcoat wax is not required...all it does is collect dust
polkatronron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:50 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by polkatronron View Post
With clearcoat wax is not required...all it does is collect dust
Ditto!
Old 02-25-2012, 12:33 PM   #12
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barlin44 View Post
Hey Charlie,
So which Mothers product do you use, due to the ease of use and no streaking. The regular or the synthetic or?

Thanks and Happy motoring
I use the California Gold Carnauba Cleaner Wax- Safe for Clearcotas & Removes Oxidation & Restores Color- Safe for All Paints

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Old 02-25-2012, 02:11 PM   #13

Quote:
I use the California Gold Carnauba Cleaner Wax- Safe for Clearcotas & Removes Oxidation & Restores Color- Safe for All Paints
Well, it can't restore color on a vehicle with clear coat because you are not getting thru the clear coat to the base color. I doubt if you'd have much oxidation with the clear coat either. Why waste your time?
Old 02-25-2012, 04:35 PM   #14

Quote:
Thanks Charlie for the reply,
Keeping any paint waxed and or sealed will keep particles from settling into the coat of paint, which over a period of probaly years will provide payback while still looking new, "and it sure looks shiney right after waxing". You can tell those that have been negleted theirs over the years.
Besides its good exercice to wax on wax off.
Thanks Barney
barlin44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:50 AM   #15

I have always waxed once a year even with clearcoat. I believe after a season of travel there are micro scratches in the surface coat. A little additional protection doesn't harm anything. Mothers is my product of choice.
Bill m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:38 AM   #16
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo45 View Post
Well, it can't restore color on a vehicle with clear coat because you are not getting thru the clear coat to the base color. I doubt if you'd have much oxidation with the clear coat either. Why waste your time?
No kidding! I just typed what was printed on the bottle. The product is made for numerous applications. I rather waste my time protecting my investment than just finding something to pick apart when information is being shared. We're here to help each other not see how many posts we can get by just being negative.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Old 02-26-2012, 12:19 PM   #17

Quote:
No kidding! I just typed what was printed on the bottle. The product is made for numerous applications. I rather waste my time protecting my investment than just finding something to pick apart when information is being shared. We're here to help each other not see how many posts we can get by just being negative.
I wasn't picking apart your info. Just adding my opinion. Yes, it would say on the label that it would restore the color, the are lots of vehicles out there without clearcoat. Also being safe for clearcoat doesn't mean it is needed. Muther's waxes are great products and if I was going to wax myself that's probably what I'd use. What I was trying to say was with two coats of clearcoat you don't need to. Now, having said that, when we are down here in the valley (Rio Grande) we get our motor home washed and waxed mainly because we can ge it done for $70. We have it done twice in the 5 mos. we are here, when we get here and just before we leave. While we are back home we wash it twice also, when we get there and just before we leave. We don't wax it ourselves. And when you stop and think about it, really, how much more is a clear coated vehicle going to be worth in 5 or 6 years because you waxed it? But, heh, that's just old lazy me. Still, I'm not dissing your info. It's good information and so is mine. I was trying to help the lazy ones like me.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:29 PM   #18

“Clear coat” is a name given to the multi-stage paints used today. A “base coat” is applied with a pigment (color). Then, a top layer of clear paint is applied over the top of the base coat to add depth, brilliance and provide protection for the base coat.

Clear coats still require the same care as the old single-stage paints. Just because the top coat of paint has no pigment in it doesn’t make it impervious to environmental conditions. Top coats of clear paint still oxidize, and the softer paints used today also allow contaminants to easily embed in the surface. These softer paints require modern formulations and technology to protect them against damage.

In short, the need for proper care and maintenance of clearcoat paints is just as important as years ago. Actually, because of their softer, fragile nature, they really should be maintained better than the older single-stage paints.
louis cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:27 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by louis cherry View Post
“Clear coat” is a name given to the multi-stage paints used today. A “base coat” is applied with a pigment (color). Then, a top layer of clear paint is applied over the top of the base coat to add depth, brilliance and provide protection for the base coat.

Clear coats still require the same care as the old single-stage paints. Just because the top coat of paint has no pigment in it doesn’t make it impervious to environmental conditions. Top coats of clear paint still oxidize, and the softer paints used today also allow contaminants to easily embed in the surface. These softer paints require modern formulations and technology to protect them against damage.

In short, the need for proper care and maintenance of clearcoat paints is just as important as years ago. Actually, because of their softer, fragile nature, they really should be maintained better than the older single-stage paints.
Not quite, they do put UV inhibitors in the clear coat. While the clear coat may oxidize some, certainly the base coat is not going to oxidize and you are not going to get to it with the wax anyhow. As proof, no color on the rag when applying the wax or buffing as you used to get when you waxed non clear coated paint. The clear coat is softer but that is so it doesn't scratch as easy. When a wax label says "safe for clear coat" that means there is not abrassive material in the wax so as not to scratch it, as there might be with say a rubbing compound. Anyway I bow to the Sensi, wax on, wax off. Only its not going to be me doing it. Not for $70 twice a year.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:21 AM   #20

On my 2011 378 I received a booklet from the paint company that gave instruction on maintaining the paint, how to clean it and what to use for wax as well as the instruction on frequency of waxing (clearcoat does require wax). I would suggest you read the manual.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote