Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2015, 10:09 PM   #1

Paint sealant coming off

I'm not sure if I have the terminology correct but I just noticed today the sealant on my 2011GT 378 is starting to peel off. Has anyone else had this problem? What causes it? Bugs? Can it be removed and replaced? This really threw me a curve. It is a full body paint.
buddyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 10:26 PM   #2
Plain Old Member

Are you referring to the clear coat, or the clear mask over the front end?
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 10:52 PM   #3

It's on the front so maybe it is a clear coat mask.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 08-30-2015, 11:00 PM   #4
Plain Old Member

If so, that can be carefully removed with a hair dryer, and a LOT of time. Never comes off real easy. Probably either the 3m product or Diamond Shield. Not sure what GT uses. It can be redone if you can find somebody who does it. Or, just leave it off. I've never been a fan of the masks as once they start pealing, or get nicked, get stuff under them etc, they look terrible. I've seen some removed and the front look like a new coach again.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:11 AM   #5

I believe Forest River uses Diamond Shield for the clear mask.
Coach 350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 10:19 AM   #6

every thing they said, while at Goshen I asked the question during one of the seminars was told no way to clean or buff just remove and replace per Forestriver
brianj
take us
tncruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 12:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tncruiser View Post
every thing they said, while at Goshen I asked the question during one of the seminars was told no way to clean or buff just remove and replace per Forestriver
brianj
Based on what John said and your post about what you found out at Goshen it seems like this is going to be quite a job. Now I have to decide if at some point I peel it off and leave it that way or replace the shield. Of course the other option is to buy a bra for the front.
Old 08-31-2015, 05:51 PM   #8

Paint Sealant Coming Off

I have a FR 2010, Lexington GTS and when I purchased the unit in 2014 it had Diamond Shield on the front cap hood and even the running boards. It was discolored and with mold and look bad so I contacted Diamond Shield and they had a rep, who they said was in the area, stop bye. I had him remove it for $200.00 and the MH front looks like new.
Diamond Shield will tell you they have improved products and tried to sell you a new application but no go here.
Diamond Shield was good to work with considering the coach is not new. A quote from our local RV shop, who is a Diamond Shield dealer was around $2500.00 to remove and repaint if required.
If it is a Diamond Shield product they will ask for you to send pictures, good luck.
Lewis96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 05:53 PM   #9

If you're talking a true "clear coat" that may be different. From what I've heard, some dealers charge up to $900 to put it on and it comes with a warranty. Recommend finding out what you have before pealing it off.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:01 PM   #10

Replac clear cover coat

Look up window tinter. Have them remove and replace the clear plastic sheeting with the 3M clear product and your front end will look like new!!
Mort
mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 08:42 PM   #11

buddyu,

It sounds like your coach had a "clear bra" installed and it is peeling off. The term for the clear film these days is Paint Protection Film (PPF). It has improved immensely over the last few years. Today's film has multiple layers and the top of the line films actually have self healing properties. There are several manufacturers that supply film that will carry up to a 10 year warranty. (My installer will take care of any problem as long as I own the vehicle.) Some are XPEL, Suntek, and 3M.

I have the Suntek installed on the entire front of a high end sports car and love the protection it provides against rock chips, and it is very easy to remove bugs and road crud. It will be the first thing I will install on my new MH where it needs protection.

Your best bet is to find an auto detailing/window tinting shop in your area that installs PPF or "clear bras". They will be able to safely remove the old film and replace it with a better film. They will also be able to correct any paint defects before reinstalling a new film.

Look for reviews on YELP, or look on the manufacturers websites for certified installers. Look around and find someone you feel comfortable with. Don't be surprised if the installers are young kids in their 20's! At least here in So Cal a lot of them are.

Hope this helps!

Scott
sdgscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 09:03 PM   #12

I know the company that did the full body paint. Typically would they be the one that installed the shield?
Old 08-31-2015, 09:16 PM   #13
Plain Old Member

Not necessarily. Can't vouch for GT, but Tiffin has the guys from Diamond Shield come in and do it after the coach comes back from paint. I can only guess GT does similar.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:53 PM   #14

That makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums