Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2018, 08:05 AM   #1

Pex lines and fittings same as house ?

I need to modify some plumbing and wanted to confirm with you guys if the pex tubing and fittings are the same stuff for residential homes that I can get from Home Depot etc
Nomore9-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 08:13 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomore9-5 View Post
I need to modify some plumbing and wanted to confirm with you guys if the pex tubing and fittings are the same stuff for residential homes that I can get from Home Depot etc
Yes it is.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 08:19 AM   #3

If it really is Pex, yes. Many RVs also have braided PVC. You can use many of the same internal connectors and crimping on these as the Pex. Most of the PEX (and braided PVC) I've seen in RVs are 1/2 inch.

Be aware that some connectors like the shark-bite ones, will work on the PEX, but won't work on the braided PVC as their external diameters are quite a bit bigger.
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 09:58 AM   #4

Possibly, there are four popular PEX fitting types which include Crimp, Push-fit , Expansion, and Press.

There are two types of pex tubing, Pex A and Pex B but not sure what the differences are between them.

I recently had a pex crimp fitting fail on my last camping trip. In lieu of camping without being able to turn the water pump on, I ran into the nearest town and bought shark bite fittings and other items to repair the leak. I was planning on the shark bite fix to be temporary but think I'm going to leave it in for good as I think it will outlast my interest in owning this camper.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 12:50 PM   #5
larryandamy

PEX same as house?

Yes it is. The crimp rings are cheap, but the crimper is $65. I bought both at Home Depot, did my 4 crimps and then returned the crimper to Home Depot.
I told them what i did and they had no issue giving me a full refund on the crimper.
larryandamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 01:01 PM   #6

Or...

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryandamy View Post
Yes it is. The crimp rings are cheap, but the crimper is $65. I bought both at Home Depot, did my 4 crimps and then returned the crimper to Home Depot.
I told them what i did and they had no issue giving me a full refund on the crimper.
Or you could simply rent the crimper from Home Depot. $11 for 4 hours, $16 for a day. It's a little more ethical.

Larry in North Carolina
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 01:30 PM   #7
larryandamy

I did what I did with full disclosure to the Home Depot service desk. They never mentioned that they rent the crimper and said that what I did would be fine as long as it was returned in original packaging and in like new condition. Thanks for the reply about the renting option. But your judgment on my ethics is not appreciated. Your response did not need that sentence. Too much of this kind of stuff is going on in these forums.
larryandamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 01:35 PM   #8

Go to Wal-Mart.com.. A crimper can be had for $16 or so. Keep it and extra rings on RV tool bag.

Toad 2015 Toyota Tacoma
Tbonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 01:35 PM   #9

FWIW, on my trailer, somehow FR managed to use pex crimp connectors on the braided tubing... I'm wondering how they got the tube into the connector - I couldn't.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 01:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Or you could simply rent the crimper from Home Depot. $11 for 4 hours, $16 for a day. It's a little more ethical.

Larry in North Carolina
X2^^ Unethical to use and return just because you dont need it again.
Old 06-25-2018, 02:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
X2^^ Unethical to use and return just because you dont need it again.
Quote:
I wanted a shut off valve for the water line behind toilet, paid the $65 for the crimper and a few dollars for assorted rings, then put the crimper and rings in my tool box...it will save me a trip back to Home Depot some day. BTW: A water shut off valve makes visually checking the black tank level much easier.
modemem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 03:00 PM   #12

Ethics

Quote:
I did what I did with full disclosure to the Home Depot service desk. They never mentioned that they rent the crimper and said that what I did would be fine as long as it was returned in original packaging and in like new condition. Thanks for the reply about the renting option. But your judgment on my ethics is not appreciated. Your response did not need that sentence. Too much of this kind of stuff is going on in these forums.
Ethics is a state of mind.
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 03:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post

Larry in North Carolina
Being a cheap skate, $11 or $16 is a rip for a fancy pair of pliers.

For a few dollars more, I bought one along with a bag each 1/2" and 3/4" clamp cinch rings. I used what I needed and keep the rest in the tool box with a few of the most used brass fittings. Use it at home and on the road. It pays in the long run as I have used it pretty often.

https://www.amazon.com/Cambridge-Cin...x+ring+crimper

To the OP, the crimp ring tool will only release when the clamp is totally cinched. It is designed to work on various sized of crimp rings. The easiest crimp removal tool is a pair of side cutters. I have also carefully used an angle grinder with a thin cutting wheel.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 04:46 PM   #14

x3
Old 06-25-2018, 05:02 PM   #15

Speaking of Home Depot, I can't believe they put used stuff back on the shelves in "repaired packaging". Yeah, like I'm going to buy a used item at a new price. LOL.
Brewhedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 05:16 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
FWIW, on my trailer, somehow FR managed to use pex crimp connectors on the braided tubing... I'm wondering how they got the tube into the connector - I couldn't.
It just takes some careful fiddling.
johnbryanpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 08:20 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
I think what FR used on the braided lines in my TT were more like Oetiker hose clamps. These are similar to PEX rings but have more pronounced ears that get crimped with a pliers like tool.

X2 on the valve at the toilet. That was one of the first mods I did. For that, Sharkbite fittings worked great.

2015 GMC Sierra SLE 1500 w/Timbrens
5.3L V8 3.42 Gears Reg Cab 8' Bed
Curt Trunnion WD Hitch
Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller
Waterops1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 05:36 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterops1 View Post
I think what FR used on the braided lines in my TT were more like Oetiker hose clamps. These are similar to PEX rings but have more pronounced ears that get crimped with a pliers like tool.

X2 on the valve at the toilet. That was one of the first mods I did. For that, Sharkbite fittings worked great.
Oetiker manufactures PEX clamps, in particular StepLess® Ear Clamps PEX Series 167. They have the same geometry as other manufacturers.
johnbryanpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 07:17 AM   #19

Quote:
Amazon sells a good crimper with an assortment of PEX connectors for about $30. I picked one up to store in the camper just in case....