Old 03-06-2014, 11:53 PM   #1

Picking up 2014 GT 351DS

We are picking up our new motor home on Saturday. We did a punch list last week, and have given the dealership a week to fix any issues that we found. Will the dealership give us a tutorial on the inverter/generator and other parts of the coach, or it that something we figure out on our own? We are upgrading from a TT to or first motorhome. Planning our first weekend trip next weekend, and worried we won't be prepared.

Old 03-07-2014, 01:04 AM   #2
Happy Member

I recommend to ask away...it's your only shot.
someone here had a PDI list for MH which I wish I had when I did ours, I missed a fw things.

if you have the res fridge, ask about the batt's and the process of switching between gen-batt's-or direct plug in.

check your jacks manually n auto. I had a problem with ours on the second trip and it was due to a pump (so they say)
play a DVD movie in the main TV make sure it's not black n white
check the subwoofer (most of us replaced it) if you still have the chance to have the dealer upgrade it go for it....(as long as it doesnt cost u a dime)

check the passenger and driver windows (they tend to rattle a lot at highway speeds, have them fixed it..

that's about it from my .02 cnts

Congrats on your new coach and welcome!

2013 FR GT 351DFS
GT4six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:28 AM   #3

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...4&d=1295968282

you might try this one, there are several.....take the time to go over everything. Ask about and check the front end alignment as well. I know we had to get the front end aligned on our GT when we had it

'Pa Pa's Palace'

2014 Sportscoach Crosscountry 405FK
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
CSMRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:42 AM   #4

Check everything....I mean everything and have them show you how to operate everything. I found out weeks later that ours didn't have the refrigerator's inverter installed. Also, most of the coax where installed incorrectly to the switch box and some of the coax terminals had bad crimps. Have them check the tire pressures and get them to install a valve extender for your rear outer tire. The rear inner has an extender, but the outer doesn't and it's nearly impossible to get a gauge in there.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:47 AM   #5

Piggy backing on what JKJJS said about the subwoofer. The subwoofer itself is not bad. However, the amplifier they installed in our 351's is way underpowered. It is not even close to matching the rating of the woofer and it will cut out. On our first road trip we lost bass the entire way...only the tweeters worked. Come to find out the gain on the tiny amp had to be turned way down in order for it not to overload. I ended up buying another amp suitable to run the woofer and tossed the POS.

Enjoy the coach. You'll get lots of complements on the paint scheme. Oh, and don't forget to do the cheap handling fix, and the..., and the...
Old 03-07-2014, 09:27 AM   #6

Cheap handling fix......ok pros, explain!
Old 03-07-2014, 12:20 PM   #7

It's basically making the front or rear sway bar work a little more efficiently to get rid of some of the sway you will experience as you or trucks pass you. The sway bars have two positions and Ford installs them on the softest position. Here is a link.

Cheap Handling Fix - iRV2 Forums
Old 03-07-2014, 02:50 PM   #8

Congratulations on the new rig! If you enjoy it as much as we do ours you are going to love it. As others have said, cheap handling fix and front end alignment will make driving it more enjoyable. Keep a notepad handy as you will find things that will need to be fixed. Thankfully most of ours were cosmetic. We found the great folks on this forum were more knowledgeable on some of our questions than the dealer.

Charleston SC
3 Boston Terriers, 1 Frenchie
Gonna miss you Toby. RIP
cjd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:13 PM   #9

I am so insanely jealous of you! Ours won't be here for another 2 months!!!!

Have fun, and please, post if you find anything major to look out for, would love to have the info when we are looking at ours.

Garren
Old 03-07-2014, 10:48 PM   #10

I am not convinced yet that the "cheap handling fix" is even needed. We also have 2014 GT351DS picked up in November. We have taken ours out 4x's now going from So Cal to AZ and Northern California and I've never experienced any significant sway due to big rigs passing or winds. Maybe the newer rigs handle better but it's been a non issue for us.