Old 03-16-2010, 01:24 PM   #1

Picking up new Georgetown Thursday

Greetings,
I have just joined this forum and will be picking up our 2010 330TS this Thursday and was wondering why they do not come with spare tire? Dealer said they quit putting spares on Motor Homes a couple of years ago. Is this true?
Can't wait to get new rig home and start loading it up for a weekend trip.

Old 03-16-2010, 01:29 PM   #2
CLASS "A" Senior Member

to FRF and Congrats with the new Georgetown. Our 2007 came with a spare. It's not mounted on a rim and has a storage space in the rear trunk. As to why they stopped I guess it could be a cost factor? I can't speak for the newer units but the place to store it may be used for some else?

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 01:51 PM   #3

2009 and no spare. I think they eliminated the trunk on all the new Georgetowns when they revised the rear cap early 2009. Cost was probably a factor in this.
2009 Ford Edge AWD Ltd towed
2011 Honda Fit Sport towed
ronhanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 01:59 PM   #4
2011 Berkshire 390bh

I don't think there are many, if any, that come with a spare. We had a 2004 Coachman that had a spare in a "Continental Kit" type of a mount. (Did I just show my age there?) But our 2007 Itasca does not have a spare and the same for the Berkshire 390bh we just looked at.
Old 03-16-2010, 03:26 PM   #5

Thanks for the replys. I just wanted to be sure the salesman was not just feeding me a line. Not that a salesman would do that. I guess thats why I have Goodsams ERS.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:55 PM   #6

As it was explained to me, the newer rigs, especially ones like the Georgetown that have the 22.5" wheel size, is that most owners don't change their own tires but rather call for roadside assistance. Therefore it's not necessary to carry a spare, just have them bring one. The other reason is that you probably wouldn't be able to lift the spare on the tire into a "trunk" or storage area due to the weight. This is the reason that many just carry an unmounted tire. Our 2009 has a "trunk" in the back with a space for the spare.

One thing I should caution you about with your new rig. The front end alignment is rarely right coming from the factory. Forest River will only cover the cost of an alignment for the first 90 days of ownership, hardly enough time for you to see that anything is wrong. We found out the hard way that ours was way out of tolerances on the toe-in and went through a set of front tires inside of 1 year. That's an $878 bill from the tire store for new tires! Therefore I highly suggest that you call Forest River as soon as you get your rig and tell them the steering or handling doesn't feel right and demand they pay for an alignment. I really wished someone had warned me about this when I first got my rig. This isn't only a problem for FR but many other manufacturers as well.

Congratulations on the new rig!
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 06:23 PM   #7

My 2008 315DS did not come with a spare, but it did have a place for it complete with mounting bracket in the right rear storage compartment. I paid about $600-$650 total I think for a new wheel and tire. I did not want to be at the mercy of the tow company, for a used tire from his brother Jim Bob who happens to have the only tire of that size in the county for $900. Mine is a 19.5" wheel. I have roadside but could change it by myself in a pinch if I had too. Yours may have a storage place for it. If you do it might not hurt to at least get a tire.
Old 03-19-2010, 02:19 PM   #8

Thanks for all the replys. We picked up the coach yesterday and took it home. I dorve 80 miles in rush hour traffic through Little Rock and did not hit or run anyone off the road. I really enjoyed driving the coach and look forward to our first outing. Now I just have to figure out this spare tire thing.
Old 03-19-2010, 03:12 PM   #9
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkyGeorgetown330TS View Post
Thanks for all the replys. We picked up the coach yesterday and took it home. I dorve 80 miles in rush hour traffic through Little Rock and did not hit or run anyone off the road. I really enjoyed driving the coach and look forward to our first outing. Now I just have to figure out this spare tire thing.
Great to hear. WOW Rush hour traffic on your first trip home! Hows your wife feeling? Mine didn't breathe until I backed in our driveway. 2-1/2 hour drive on the interstate to home. My heart was in my shoes since it was the first time I ever drove anything that big. She was terrified everytime I went passed a parked car going through town. Now she just petrified ,as for me, piece of cake now.

Charlie

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 03:16 PM   #10

My wife was following behind and said I looked like a pro. Sure is different than pulling 5th wheel.