Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2015, 01:43 PM   #1

Pink Ceiling Stains

Hello All,

I have a 2012 Georgetown XL 378 which has developed some pink stains on the ceiling between the front A/C and the drivers side slide, it has also expanded toward the front to the next ceiling partition. It does not clean with either water or a mixture of dish soap and water. I and a RV repairman have checked the roof and cannot see any likely spots where a leak might be, but we did not pull the A/C unit up to make sure it was installed correctly.
Anybody have any thoughts on these pink stains?

Thanks

ehpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 08:54 AM   #2

I am having the same problem with my 337XL. I cannot find a leak anywhere and have not checked the Air Conditioner either. Any suggestions are welcome.

ejw7213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 04:11 PM   #3

It's nice to know that at least somebody else has the same problem. Have you talked to Forest River, I spoke with Kevin Stratton and he thinks it is a leak and suggested taking it to a dealer but the one he recommended is about 90 miles away and the RV tech didn't see any signs of a leak so I don't know what to think. The stains do not seem to be growing but no rain here yet.

Old 06-25-2015, 04:26 PM   #4

left over champagne from the office party last christmas?? hehe, i woundnt joke around if I didnt have a remedy. this stuff worked on every ceiling fabric stain ive used it on.havent tried in on anything other than a cloth type fabric...not sure the material on the georgetown...usually takes 2 applications
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	instagone-2packets_grande.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	81113  
Crockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 04:32 PM   #5
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehpeters View Post
It's nice to know that at least somebody else has the same problem. Have you talked to Forest River, I spoke with Kevin Stratton and he thinks it is a leak and suggested taking it to a dealer but the one he recommended is about 90 miles away and the RV tech didn't see any signs of a leak so I don't know what to think. The stains do not seem to be growing but no rain here yet.
Probably the drain from the ac is not draining completely to the outside. The ac cover will have to come off and inspection done on the drain. Would not try to remove the stain or cover it up until the cause is found.
Old 06-25-2015, 10:35 PM   #6

Thanks for the suggestions guys - I have taken the cover off and looked at the drain, however it wont hurt to double check.

Old 06-25-2015, 10:54 PM   #7

How about condensation from the A/C runs in the ceiling, I have a hard ceiling and if very humid with a/c running I get drips around the a/c ducts outlets and I would imagine the ducts themselves will sweat also. I get yellow marks.
jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 12:09 AM   #8
Just a member

Your pink stains, if it is what I think it is, are typically associated with the presence of vinyl coated/impregnated products. I and many others have had to contend with this nuisance stain on our awnings. It is not mildew. It's a by-product (poop) of bacterial micro organisms. The by-product manifests as a dye that is soluble in the plasticizers commonly found in vinyl coated products. The marine (boating) crowd are more familiar with this. We've had some success at removal with a diluted mix of household bleach but again, if that's what is staining your ceiling/s, where's the vinyl component?

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 12:23 PM   #9

Pink Ceiling Stains Pics

I have attempted to add some pics of the ceiling stains, but not sure how they will turn out

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080817.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	290.0 KB
ID:	81182   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080814.JPG
Views:	313
Size:	173.7 KB
ID:	81183   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080822.jpg
Views:	828
Size:	228.2 KB
ID:	81184  

Old 06-26-2015, 12:27 PM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Wet " pink" insulation stain?

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "11 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 01:51 PM   #11

So it could be coming from the AC leaking into the insulation between the ceiling and the roof?

Thanks

Old 06-26-2015, 05:12 PM   #12

gee I dont think ive ever seen fiberglass insulation bleed. i know the glue sprayed on looks that color but I dont believe its water soluble either.
Old 06-28-2015, 09:23 PM   #13

I have the same stains and a leak causes them. The color comes from the wet plywood in the roof. Mine was fixed once but is leaking again. Some drops of water dripped from the kitchen cabinet near the entry door during a recent rain. I believe FR has issues with the roof seal along the big awning. But it could also flow downhill from the AC. I don't have any stains except in and near the cabinets. I think its time to form a group with this same problem and confront Forest River.
BillMFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 12:11 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Probably the drain from the ac is not draining completely to the outside. The ac cover will have to come off and inspection done on the drain. Would not try to remove the stain or cover it up until the cause is found.
If I suspected the ac as leaking, I would pull the grill inside. Look for mineral staining between upper and lower unit, either at bottom of evaporator tray if cracked or plugged or at the gasket.
Old 03-04-2016, 09:09 PM   #15

Update

Does anyone have a new update on these stains? Mine are still there but are not growing, even with a lot of rain. RV dealer checked the area with a camera and did not see any signs of water, they said it was due to too much glue which was leaking thru the ceiling. Forest River does not agree they say it is a water leak???

Old 03-05-2016, 07:48 AM   #16

My stains are still there, not as pronounced as yours. But they have not increased since I replaced my front AC seal. I think the color comes from the Luan roof plywood. I discovered the AC seal leak when I pressured washed the roof.
BillMFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 10:30 AM   #17

Got 2011 constant water leaks, spent thousands on repair, no more Forest River
Camp jayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 01:07 PM   #18

Could have been any other brand.
jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 03:02 PM   #19

I posted in June of 2015 that I had the same problem with my 2012 Georgetown 337XL. I went to the rally in August, where the service manager confirmed that it is a water problem. Even though there was no visible leak, he said it had to be wicking water from some source. In November, they replaced the entire roof of my motorhome.

ejw7213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 10:02 AM   #20

Billmfi - would you mind giving me an idea of where that seal is on the AC unit and how you replaced it

Thanks