Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2019, 10:42 AM   #1

Plastic vent cover replacements?

We have one vent cover that was cracked after a hail storm last year. I covered the crack with dicor and it has been fine since. I figured it might be a good idea to replace it or at least have a replacement on hand. I have one in the bathroom and one in the rear bedroom. I only want to change out the plastic cover. Can someone share which type to purchase from amazon? I see there are a few different types but figured all of the GT models have the same type and that someone on here has ordered a replacement for theirs.
Old 09-18-2019, 12:01 PM   #2

We don't have a GT but I'm not sure it makes any difference; the holes all seem to be the same size. After a big hailstorm last year we replaced our shattered vent covers with Camco covers. They've been on for about 15 months and a few hailstorms and they're fine so far.
ekrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 12:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekrus View Post
We don't have a GT but I'm not sure it makes any difference; the holes all seem to be the same size. After a big hailstorm last year we replaced our shattered vent covers with Camco covers. They've been on for about 15 months and a few hailstorms and they're fine so far.
Thanks. Do you recall the model of the cover? I was wanting to just replace the lid and not any of the frame. It seems that most are the slide in type lids but I noticed some actually clip on the outside frame. Just didn't want to get on the roof the see until I am ready to swap it.
Old 09-18-2019, 12:28 PM   #4

just a note....when searching for lid, look for ones that are...or claim to be UV Resistant. Changed all the ones on our 2007 Jayco in 2008 or 9...Brittle and cracking. Got UV resistant ones from etrailer and in 2017 when we sold the trailer they were still soft and pliable with zero cracking.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 12:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
just a note....when searching for lid, look for ones that are...or claim to be UV Resistant. Changed all the ones on our 2007 Jayco in 2008 or 9...Brittle and cracking. Got UV resistant ones from etrailer and in 2017 when we sold the trailer they were still soft and pliable with zero cracking.
I'm thinking about going with the metal covers. They cost a little more but seems they would be much more durable.
Old 09-18-2019, 12:46 PM   #6
Grammar Pedant

I just replaced a vent cover after a hail storm pulverized several plastic fixtures on my roof.

I put a metal lid on the 14" vent on the front of my trailer (link in the other thread). We don't use it much, anyway, and the lid also is light-blocking. However, the main purpose was that it won't crack from hail.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 01:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67L48 View Post
I just replaced a vent cover after a hail storm pulverized several plastic fixtures on my roof.

I put a metal lid on the 14" vent on the front of my trailer (link in the other thread). We don't use it much, anyway, and the lid also is light-blocking. However, the main purpose was that it won't crack from hail.
Went ahead and started unscrewing the frame form the inside and I have the slide in type. It looks like I can remove and replace without even getting on the roof!

Will definitely go with the metal ones. We have had a camco cushion tucked in the cavity since we had the camper because of the heat.
Old 09-18-2019, 02:02 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to Hi Rider
I had to replace two. I was able to pull part number for the entire vent off the frame and called the manufacturer for the Part number for the lid and ordered off amazon. It was easy, but I can't say it would be for everyone.
2020 - 162 Days and 5,359 Miles
2021 - 113 Days and 3,835 Miles
2022 - 35 Days and counting, and 3,372 Miles and counting
Hi Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 02:02 PM   #9

Replacement.

You can replace the standard grade plastic lid very easily. It’s cheap too.
hankpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 03:20 PM   #10

Had rain on my head from vent in toilet due to tree branch. RV park had 5 models to choose from. They were all 14" X 14" but how they slid onto the frame were different. To replace: Remove 4 screws from frame inside, remove crank handle, remove screen, release operator arm and slide old vent off (maybe it can be done from inside). Reverse the process with new vent cover. You could consider replacing with fan model if none there now but that requires having a 12V line at the site and replacing the entire assembly plus caulking.
First Mate = Xiangbing
Crew = Radar, NiuNiu & NaNa
BobHanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 03:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobHanke View Post
Had rain on my head from vent in toilet due to tree branch. RV park had 5 models to choose from. They were all 14" X 14" but how they slid onto the frame were different. To replace: Remove 4 screws from frame inside, remove crank handle, remove screen, release operator arm and slide old vent off (maybe it can be done from inside). Reverse the process with new vent cover. You could consider replacing with fan model if none there now but that requires having a 12V line at the site and replacing the entire assembly plus caulking.
I think I am going to have to get on the roof. Getting the new lid thought that hole is not going to happen from the inside
Old 09-18-2019, 03:57 PM   #12

I replaced mine with 2 of these:

https://www.campingworld.com/unbreak...%2Fvent-covers

Good luck!

Rudy - 10 year old long haired dachshund, RIP
2011 Georgetown 350TS
2013 Chevrolet Equinox toad
RudysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 04:36 PM   #13

Another that replaced with the polycarbonate here.

Couple years now and good as new.
Old 09-18-2019, 05:42 PM   #14

And something else...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclinton View Post
I think I am going to have to get on the roof. Getting the new lid thought that hole is not going to happen from the inside
And something else. At each end of the slide-in tube on the lid (cover) is a tab. It's part of the tube, but cut so it's separate. You bend these so they go over the ends of the mating slide-in tube on the frame. This keeps the cover centered on the frame, so it doesn't slide off in either direction.

Use a needle-nose pliers. Bend one end before you slide it on. Slide the other end on and bend it when the cover is in place.

If you have trouble visualizing this, post back and I will make a drawing.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 09:33 AM   #15
D W

Quote:
When you first posted that you wouldn't have to get up on the roof I was wondering how you were going to get the new lid through that hole?

Unless you're triple jointed you still have to get up there to unlock the hinge tabs with a needle nose pliers, then relock the tabs on the replacement.

While you're up there, take the opportunity to check all your seams and sealings.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 09:38 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
When you first posted that you wouldn't have to get up on the roof I was wondering how you were going to get the new lid through that hole?

Unless you're triple jointed you still have to get up there to unlock the hinge tabs with a needle nose pliers, then relock the tabs on the replacement.

While you're up there, take the opportunity to check all your seams and sealings.
Yup, wishful thinking I went ahead and ordered one to replace the bathroom vent cover. Metal on the bedroom and an "unbreakable" one for the bathroom. Maybe avert future problems....
Old 09-19-2019, 01:22 PM   #17

Quote:
Yup, wishful thinking I went ahead and ordered one to replace the bathroom vent cover. Metal on the bedroom and an "unbreakable" one for the bathroom. Maybe avert future problems....
Your saying vent cover, but are you actually meaning lid? The lid is the thing that cranks up and open. The cover is the aftermarket cover that protects the lid or allows you to drive with the lid open.

I suspect that your replacing the lid since your talking about working from inside the unit, because a vent cover is totally installed from the roof and screws a frame bracket down around the vent lid that the vent cover then attaches to.

2019 Ram Bighorn, CC/SB 2500 4x4 6.4L/8 Speed, Max Tow 14,460 lb/2,940 lb payload.
2019 F-150 King Ranch 3.5 Eco, 12,800 lb/1,546 payload.
2020 Coachmen Apex UL 289TBSS
2019 Quality Trailers 16'x7' 7K GVWR Utility Trailer
2019 IronBull 22'x102" 14K GVWR Equipment Trailer
Larry0071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 05:00 PM   #18

Just finished the project......replaced my rear with a metal lid and the bathroom with a tinted "unbreakable" one off of amazon. Glad I decided to go ahead and replace the bathroom even though it was fine. Turns out it was cracked. I am also glad I checked seals as a glob of dicor on my front cap had been tore off. I suspect it was a tree at the last park we were at as I also lost a wifi antenna the broke off the rear. It wasn't too serious but if left alone I would had some water inside. A good lesson to check the roof often and especially after I come in contact with something......

Tags
cover, replacement, vent