Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2016, 03:20 PM   #21

Angry

We gave up the ghost with FR replacing anything and ordered new Captain's chairs and a dual recliner unit from Shop 4 Seats out of California. Sort of like buying a pig in a poke not being able to see or sit on the pieces, but taking the chance. We went with a fabric vs leather or faux leather. Hoping it will work out. They did offer and we Did purchase a 5 year warranty on the fabric against wear, color, and even rips or tears....so hoping for the best. It is just the two of us so thinking it will be fine. Can't be any worse than the peeling skin flakes all over the coach. Thom and Debbie Don't worry about the small things!
thomanddebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 06:13 AM   #22

For what it is worth. I have a buddy with a Tiffin who is experiencing the same issues....
360true is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 08:24 AM   #23

I received my new covers several weeks ago. Had an upholstery shop here in town to install them. the material is much better than the original. The upholstery shop mentioned the same things we have seen on this thread, the original material is bonded "recycled" leather. the new stuff is much better and should last longer. Well worth the few dollars to have it installed.
Old 11-04-2016, 08:47 AM   #24

Thanks for the update and outcome! Youroo! !
Old 11-04-2016, 09:26 AM   #25

When these poor quality furnishing are falling apart in front of our eyes, one has to wonder how the rest of the RV is doing that you can't see...what other short-cuts the mfg made?

One friend of mine was traveling down the road in his new entry level motorhome and the house batteries dropped out of the battery bay due to a bad welding job.

But, these RVs are absolutely gorgeous when sitting at the dealership.

Depreciation is an amazing word.
Philos3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 01:11 PM   #26
Weekender

You know, I am more inclined to give FR a break on this for the coaches that were fabricated in 2008, 2009, 2010 and even 2011. I think that they were probably sold a bill of goods too when they decided to go with the product that they installed. I bought my unit about 18 months ago and the original furniture and upholstery looked and felt fantastic and I was impressed. Within 6 months I noticed the driver's chair starting to peel. Then gradually, the passenger chair followed and then the sofa cushions. Yes, I have ordered replacement covers and hope that the new is better than the original (manufacturer said it is!). We'll see, but like I said, that 6 year old upholstery was beautiful for 6 1/2 years. I don't think that FR knew that this would happen anymore than I did.
Ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 12:41 PM   #27

Ours is a 2011, 378F, with the same peeling problem. I contacted Karlie at Williamsburg and Bryan at Forest River, the factory is replacing all of our interior seating with new covers. That's couch, euro chair and 2 captains seats. No charge except I will have to have the covers installed on my nickel. I'm happy.

JimF
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 08:46 PM   #28

Angry Peeling naugahide (whatever it is) couch and drivers seat

I have a 2014 Coachman Mirada 35 snd the furniture is peeling whereever it has been sat on. I've been in this coach since September 2016. The prev owner rarely used it. Forest River response is a joke. The $1811 offer for couch fabric is ridiculous!!! Is there a class actiin lawsuit against the manufacturer "Williamsburg Furniture Inc" of Nappanee, In ?
Jane33776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 11:57 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane33776 View Post
I have a 2014 Coachman Mirada 35 snd the furniture is peeling whereever it has been sat on. I've been in this coach since September 2016. The prev owner rarely used it. Forest River response is a joke. The $1811 offer for couch fabric is ridiculous!!! Is there a class actiin lawsuit against the manufacturer "Williamsburg Furniture Inc" of Nappanee, In ?

Is your Coachman Mirada a Forest River Georgetown product? You posted in the Georgetown group and from what I have seen Georgetown has done a good job taking care of the Georgetown interior failures, many many posts in the positive. Perhaps your contacting the wrong group.

JimF
Old 02-19-2017, 08:52 AM   #30

Jane, after rereading your post I think i see what your problem in on factory support, you have a used unit. The factory has done well supporting the original owner but a used unit is purchased as is where is, I haven't seen any occurrence of a factory warranty transferring. Sorry, not fair but seems to be what a lot of folks run into when buying used. I sincerely hope you get some goodwill support, but doubt that will happen.

JimF
Old 02-19-2017, 09:08 AM   #31
I Break Everything

Don't ya just love when people offer no support other than, "you got the cheap stuff..."

The problem is this, it's made of real leather. Real leather sawdust. Anyone selling it can claim it to be real leather. They don't have to say anything about it. We had this happen in a residential chair we purchased a few years ago. Garbage. And that's where it went.

Other than reupholstering, replacement or covering would be the only option unless you go directly through the manufacturer. They are always as helpful as they can be.

Good Luck!

2015 Georgetown Forest River 351DS Class A
2008 Keystone Cougar 293SAB 5th Wheel
2007 Jay Flight 30.5RLS 5th Wheel
2006 Jay Flight 29BHS TT
mikel68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 12:23 PM   #32

Everyone keeps talking about faux leather or bonded leather. We bought a unit with ever available factory option plus some special adds, however, at no time was our interior advertised as leather, faux leather or bonded leather. It was advertised as leather "LOOK". I did ask what exactly that meant, the factory explanation was it was vinyl with a leather grain stamped into it. I was the worlds pickiest walk through on delivery, the Service Manager finally conducted it as I ran the tech off. They had to call the factory at least a dozen times when I asked questions they couldn't answer. No answer no check, ours was a cash deal and believe they want that money. Any way, a unit at the price point of a Georgetown won't have leather unless it's a very pricey upgrade, we knew exactly what we were purchasing. Of course ours failed in its 5th year and the factory did replace the interior on their dime. We are happy Georgetown owners. Kudos Georgetown.

JimF
Old 02-20-2017, 09:07 AM   #33

I can say, I have been happy with the support I have received from FR and Williamsburg on this so far. To date they have replaced the cushions on the dinette (including the bed conversion cushion), the barrel chair, the covers on the captain's seats and the leather on the couch. The only cost to me was having the seat covers on the captain chairs replaced. Hopefully, these covers will last longer than the last set.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:27 AM   #34

2014 Seat Covers Replaced

I agree that the FR has been straight up in this issue. I have a 378, but with a euro recliner, not a barrel chair as appears to have been in earlier model years. FR sent me covers for the couch and for the captain's chairs. They were not able to send covers for the euro chair as it is no longer being made by Williamsburg. Appears to be pretty good cooperation between FR and Williamsburg. There are several levels of quality of this material, and obviously the lowest level was originally used, but Williamsburg is making good on this.

In the three years of ownership, the folks at FR have always been responsive and have worked with me to settle issues.

Just IMHO.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:14 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360true View Post
I agree that the FR has been straight up in this issue. I have a 378, but with a euro recliner, not a barrel chair as appears to have been in earlier model years. FR sent me covers for the couch and for the captain's chairs. They were not able to send covers for the euro chair as it is no longer being made by Williamsburg. Appears to be pretty good cooperation between FR and Williamsburg. There are several levels of quality of this material, and obviously the lowest level was originally used, but Williamsburg is making good on this.

In the three years of ownership, the folks at FR have always been responsive and have worked with me to settle issues.

Just IMHO.

FYI, our euro-chair was also one that was now unavailable but FR bought a matching new generation euro style chair and shipped it to us. A real surprise as I was not expecting anything. It was not a Williamsburg made item and I have no real idea where they purchase it. FR really went the extra mile for us.

JimF
Old 02-22-2017, 12:41 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyW4 View Post
Went through the same thing on my 2014. Substandard material used on the furniture and captains chairs by Williamsburg Furniture. Went round and round with Forest River, Williamsburg and the extended warranty people. They are all well aware of the problem. Finally gave up and purchased and installed new captains chairs covers from Williamsburg. Much cheaper than buying new chairs. Karlie Fairfield at Williamsburg could not have been nicer and the material was a 1,000% improvement. Had the deteriorating piping in the couch covers replaced at a local furniture shop. There are a lot of threads on this forum about this problem. Do a search and you'll find a lot of info.
We are having the same problem with our used 2011 Georgetown we purchased in August. The worst is the drivers seat followed by the passenger seat and a couple small patches on tje sofa. Anyone able to recommend acompany that can provide quality replacements that don't cost an arm and a leg? Maybe just half an arm 😊
Schvarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 12:53 PM   #37

Glastop, just ordered 4800.00 for couch and two chairs. High quality flexsteel. Everything else out there is pretty much junk. I have worked on this furiously. 2012 378 xl
daddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 04:41 PM   #38

We purchased a 2011 350 TS Georgetown. We are having the same problem with both of the captain chairs and the couch. I have reached out to Forest River and my dealer. I'm still waiting for a response from them . It should not matter if it's new or used. For the amount of money you spend they should last longer than a year. My living room furniture, we have had for over eight years and no problems. And that is with 2 kids, dog, Four adults.
Jimmyjpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 06:31 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360true View Post

Just IMHO.

I am the original owner of a 2013 Coachmen Mirada 35DL. My couch and drivers seat is flaking. Who have you been working with at Forest River?
_nelsonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 08:49 PM   #40

My contact is Bryan Knight at bknight@forestriverinc.com, but he is specifically with Georgetown. Maybe he can forward an email to a good contact for your rig.