Old 01-08-2014, 07:14 PM   #1

Pointers for driving in snow / on ice?

It has been cold enough for long enough and we are planning on making a break for warmer weather on Friday.

It has been so cold that salt and deicers haven't worked. That means we will be driving on packed snow and ice for the first few hours. Other than taking it easy, leaving more space, etc., are there any special tricks to driving a big rig down the road on ice and snow?

Jim Sullivan
2014 Georgetown 335

Old 01-08-2014, 07:30 PM   #2

Seatbelt!
Depending on the road I would carry a set of chains, a couple of big bags of cheap kitty litter.
Did I say seatbelt yet?
No quick moves or hard braking, slow down before you drop down hill not in the middle.
Don't forget your seatbelt...
Stop when you get tired.

Old 01-08-2014, 07:41 PM   #3
Infractee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
Seatbelt!
Depending on the road I would carry a set of chains, a couple of big bags of cheap kitty litter.
Did I say seatbelt yet?
No quick moves or hard braking, slow down before you drop down hill not in the middle.
Don't forget your seatbelt...
Stop when you get tired.

I second all the above with the added emphasis on seatbelts!

We drove for several hours during and after a snow/ice storm last Christmas and I am not sure if this is correct or not but it worked for me, as the first time on a downhill that I just slightly tapped the brakes the trailer wanted to come around and meet me... After that I turned my brake controller gain down to a 3 (normally kept on a 9) and I manually squeezed it as needed. I was reminded pretty quick that the trailer has no ABS.... LOL

Like I said, I was doing it without any idea of what proper trailer brake procedure was on ice, infact, I still do not know what the "proper" procedure is, only telling you what worked for me.
Old 01-09-2014, 01:11 AM   #4

howdy: what I did for driving this year in snow while pulling 8x5x18 trailer full of quads was to unplug lights and this disables brakes, and it worked good .you don't want to deal with trailer during this condition. Just slow down at top of hills and creep down slowly then you will get there safety.dont leave them plugged in your asking for it. Pete
Old 01-09-2014, 01:50 AM   #5

2014 Georgetown 335 is not a trailer.

Go slow and take your time.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:23 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith4216 View Post
2014 Georgetown 335 is not a trailer.

Go slow and take your time.
LOL you beat me to it. Seemed like every response was not MH related.

It's just like driving a car except you have a lot more weight and have to start slowing down sooner. If your coach has ABS, don't pump the brakes like we used to. Keep pressure on them and let the ABS do it's work.

Oh, and when you get to your destination grab a hose and try to get as much salt off the undercarriage as possible. I use Salt Terminator, the one with the hose attachment. That stuff really works. I've used it both in the north and in the south. When we lived in FL I sprayed my boat and trailer with it every time they were dipped in the ocean. Now, I spray our cars with it to keep things rust free.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Sullivan View Post
It has been cold enough for long enough and we are planning on making a break for warmer weather on Friday.

It has been so cold that salt and deicers haven't worked. That means we will be driving on packed snow and ice for the first few hours. Other than taking it easy, leaving more space, etc., are there any special tricks to driving a big rig down the road on ice and snow?

Jim Sullivan
2014 Georgetown 335

Best advise is ... DON'T DRIVE IT AT ALL..

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 12:44 AM   #8

Jim we are right behind you. We are leaving Monday or Tuesday. I would assume you are well on your way. Hopefully things are going well. I drove our Berkshire last year on some snow covered roads and it is not fun. Its hard to tell what is going on way back there and it can get away from you very fast. There are truck washes that do a good under spray so try that not sure the name but it's a chain just watch for the billboard signs.
Old 01-11-2014, 06:29 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
Jim we are right behind you. We are leaving Monday or Tuesday. I would assume you are well on your way. Hopefully things are going well. I drove our Berkshire last year on some snow covered roads and it is not fun. Its hard to tell what is going on way back there and it can get away from you very fast. There are truck washes that do a good under spray so try that not sure the name but it's a chain just watch for the billboard signs.
Global or Blue Beacon I forget which one.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:40 AM   #10
semi-senior member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Best advise is ... DON'T DRIVE IT AT ALL..
X2

2014 Ram 3500 DRW 6.7HO
Aisin 6speed Auto
SE Mo
denandra2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
snow