Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2014, 01:50 PM   #1

Poor / no TV reception

So, we've never really been able to tune in many channels over the antenna, and in some cases, none at all. I'm wondering if the antenna is even hooked up. I've heard various comments on folks loathing the antennas they put on the new GT's, but surely we should be able to get a few channels.

We are usually in a park w/ cable, but the occasional times, like now, that we're not, we can't seem to get even local channels. Right now we are in Niagra Falls. Recently when camped 30 mi from Memphis, couldn't get a single channel.

The selector box in cabinet above passenger is set to "antenna", and the antenna booster switch in back of cab is "on" with the green light illuminated. TV set to tune channels over the air / antenna. Connections going into selector box are all tight. No issues when tuning channels when hooked up to cable.

Ideas?
Buck & Patsy, the boston-mix guard dogs
43D18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 02:09 PM   #2
Kanadian Kamper

Looks like you've got everything covered. You're right.........it should work.

I would test the continuity of the coax starting at the connector of the antennae on the roof. I made my own kind of audible testing equipment to do some work on our rig a few years ago. I would bet there's an open connection somewhere between the actual antennae and the selector box coax end. When you move the selector to cable, you're saying your televisions work just fine.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:46 PM   #3

Is there anything in the set-up menu on the TV that needs to be changed from "cable" to "over the air?"
Clemdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 11:27 PM   #4

Have you had the tv do a channel search to find channels in the area you are in?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

108 days camped 2013
74 days camped 2014 so far
iluvlcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 11:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvlcy View Post
Have you had the tv do a channel search to find channels in the area you are in?

EXCELLENT thought!
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:45 AM   #6

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchleder View Post
EXCELLENT thought!
X3. Everytime you move you've got to rescan for local channels.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 10:59 PM   #7

I have experienced the same problem. Had no channels after a scan and all inputs correct. My neighbor was receiving 7 channels right next to me with the crank up older model. We ran a coax cable from his antenna to the back of my selector box and guess what. Yep, 7 channels! We trouble shot all the things we could think of and came to the conclusion it must be a bad antenna. Looking for a replacement now.
pkhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 11:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemdog View Post
Is there anything in the set-up menu on the TV that needs to be changed from "cable" to "over the air?"
Yes, as indicated in my post, tv is set to tune over air
Old 08-03-2014, 11:52 PM   #9

Quote:

Um, yes...that's the issue. It's not tuning any channels.
Old 08-03-2014, 11:53 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiscampsin View Post

X3. Everytime you move you've got to rescan for local channels.
Yes, of course. Figured that was a given.
Old 08-04-2014, 03:45 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43D18 View Post
Yes, of course. Figured that was a given.
It should be. However, it never really hurts to ask. Sometimes it's the obvious things that are causing the problem.
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 07:42 AM   #12

I was camping last week at Rough River here in Ky. I was about 50 miles from Louisville, and couldn't get good reception. The channels were found, but would fade in and out. It even picked up some from Bowling Green, but had the same issue.

At home in the driveway near Owensboro, I get about 12 channels that are crystal clear and perfect. I'm guessing that all the trees at the campground blocks reception.
mlangdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:34 PM   #13

I found on our current trailer that I could never get cable to work in the trailer. turns out they cut the copper wire to short and it wasn`t making contact at one of the connections. I redid the connection and then my cable worked in the trailer. the other issue I just found was that my antenna was no good. It never really worked that good from new. In my driveway, which is 40 miles outside Chicago, I was lucky to get the 10 local stations. when they switched to digital I lost all but one station and it would junp in and out. I dealt with it for years until I replaced the factory antenna this year with a Jack antenna. I now get 71 (yes 71) stations in my driveway. and at the campgrounds that we didn`t get any signal we can now get near 20 stations! best $35 I spent on the trailer. I checked all connections before the swap and all was OK. I`ve heard the same from others with similar complaints. If all your connections are good I would consider a change to the Jack antenna!

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:41 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Guy View Post
I found on our current trailer that I could never get cable to work in the trailer. turns out they cut the copper wire to short and it wasn`t making contact at one of the connections. I redid the connection and then my cable worked in the trailer. the other issue I just found was that my antenna was no good. It never really worked that good from new. In my driveway, which is 40 miles outside Chicago, I was lucky to get the 10 local stations. when they switched to digital I lost all but one station and it would junp in and out. I dealt with it for years until I replaced the factory antenna this year with a Jack antenna. I now get 71 (yes 71) stations in my driveway. and at the campgrounds that we didn`t get any signal we can now get near 20 stations! best $35 I spent on the trailer. I checked all connections before the swap and all was OK. I`ve heard the same from others with similar complaints. If all your connections are good I would consider a change to the Jack antenna!

Please tell us more about the kind of antenna you chose....

born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:40 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Guy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
Please tell us more about the kind of antenna you chose....

More info
We had a chance to test a King Jack against our Winegard with the Wingman add on.
Before the digital conversion we received 1 good and 1 not so good analog channels at our south central CO. location.
After the analog to digital conversion 0 channels.
I changed the Winegard to a Jack and the Jack could find 1 not usable digital channel, proof to me that Jack works even if we're too far away for it be watchable.

A friend has an omnidirectional antenna that doesn't work at his house, our King picks up several (30+) hand held on his roof using the coax that goes to his antenna.

Here are some links
King controls
Products | King

Camping world
KING Digital HDTV Antenna Replacement Head - King Controls OA-8000 - Over-the-Air Antennas - Camping World

Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_1f87123niq_b
Old 08-07-2014, 08:41 PM   #16

Thanks for your input. I`ve never heard of it called the King Jack antenna. Your results are similar to mine and other people that have switched to the Jack.

Iwannacamp, the second link in abjb`s post is the Jack. in the other link it is on the right in the 3rd or 4th line.

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:51 PM   #17

On my GT 351DS I have a little tiny amplifier button on the cable output in the cabinet above the passenger seat. When amplifying I have a tiny green light that comes on. I have been keeping it turned off except when tuning and watching tv over the air.

In my driveway I get no channels when it's off and 11 when it's on. Worth a shot.
DustyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:06 PM   #18

Tried that. Hooked rabbit ears inside and got more channels. That isn't hard since my rooftop gets zero!
pkhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:32 PM   #19

Time for the BIG question.

Is anyone satisfied with their omnidirectional antenna?

ab&jb
Old 08-07-2014, 09:52 PM   #20

Mine has seemed to work just fine!

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Krazymace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
reception, tv reception