Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2018, 07:13 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modmike View Post
I feel your pain but there is nothing to do except play Mr. Fixit.

The stairs should NOT be coming out. I also have a 2016 and there is a safety that engages and pulls in the steps when the ignition is turned. I suspect that the 12 volt wire form the motor controller to the switched ignition wire is disconnected.
The ignition interlock only retracts the steps if the ignition switch is set to on (engine running etc.) and the door is closed. The absence of the ignition interlock will not cause the steps to extend. The OP appears to have a door magnetic switch issue which makes it appear the door is opened (negating the ignition interlock input) extending the steps and then the door magnetic switch suddenly closes and then the ignition interlock retracts the steps. It's a vicious cycle.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 08:39 PM   #22

Really?

I am sure you are right, just never tried. Will check next time I’m out. Again, not doubting you.
Modmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 02:55 AM   #23

It is sad to read this and similar threads about RV quality these days. We currently have a 2007 Itasca Navion that, overall, has been nearly problem free. Over the last 12 seasons we had minor problems all with after-market stuff. Certainly no build quality issues. We have a new Georgetown on order. I'm hoping that wasn't a mistake but starting to worry that it was.
2018 Chevy Spark
Formerly - 2007 Itasca Navion (Sold and gone)
Mr. October is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 05:46 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. October View Post
It is sad to read this and similar threads about RV quality these days. We currently have a 2007 Itasca Navion that, overall, has been nearly problem free. Over the last 12 seasons we had minor problems all with after-market stuff. Certainly no build quality issues. We have a new Georgetown on order. I'm hoping that wasn't a mistake but starting to worry that it was.

You can always cancel your order.
Decon Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 06:41 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decon Blue View Post
You can always cancel your order.
Only if I want to give up my 10% non-refundable deposit.
2018 Chevy Spark
Formerly - 2007 Itasca Navion (Sold and gone)
Mr. October is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 07:07 AM   #26

The RV industry Moto: "Quantity...is job ONE."
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 02:10 PM   #27

They left out part of the moto -One in three.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 06:05 PM   #28

I have also had a lot of issues with my 14 month old Georgetown GT5, 36B5..bought new in June 2017 it's supposed to be a 2018 model. Anyway, back in June lost a slide motor on the bed slide, replace 2 of the 3 roof vent covers because they are cracking and falling apart sorta like a 15 year old Terry tag camper I once had. I have never seen vent covers rot away like these did. One flew apart and crumbled to pieces last Friday night while driving to Myrtle Beach...we were surprised for sure. I'm going to but covers to put over them, hopefully the new ones will last longer than a year. I also bought something recommended called 303, supposed to spray it one once or twice a year and they will last longer..?...I suppose the parts are now being made in China...sheesh. Anyway, right out of the dealer lot we had to get the ac on the engine charged up, it took about 5 cans of freon and also oil and other things, I guess it came from Ford that way .we also had frame moldings around the couch/dinnette slide pull away as it went out due to dragging the floor, I am suspecting the floor is actually bowed upward...I've had about 8 campers, tag trailers, and this is our fourth class A...By far the cheapest materials and workmanship i have ever seen. Oh and aafter having one slide motor replaced on the bed slide back in July ...it was dragging and stopping and starting as we slid it in to leave Myrtle Beach today....I am thinking that Forest River just like Thor, has bought up more RV companies than they can control,...or is it they buy them up so they don't have to compete with quality workmanship.....I might switch to a Tiffin next time I buy and I'm already looking....Have a great day folks.
Retired Electrician, Miller Brewery, 31 yrs.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 06:21 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewolfpaq82 View Post
the rv industry moto: "quantity...is job one."

👍👍👍
Decon Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 05:38 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneikeys View Post
I have a 2016 Georgetown and are having way too many Quality Controll issues. My steps pop out while driving for no reason. My wood trim around the slide out is cracking. The sliding door in the back to the bedroom track has broken and the rails have come loose as well making that door not functional at all. For the amount I paid for this RV I am Appalled at the lack of quality of materials used and broken and defective equipment!!! I called the dealer where I purchased it from and was told there was only a 1 year warranty and will not be covered I was floored!!! What can you do to fix these issues? THIS IS COMPLETELY INEXCUSABLE!!!

Respectfully,

Mr. Steve Schneider

[emoji35] [emoji35] [emoji35] [emoji35] [emoji35] [emoji35] [emoji35] [emoji30] [emoji30] [emoji30] [emoji30] [emoji30] [emoji31] [emoji31] [emoji31] [emoji31] [emoji31] [emoji31] [emoji33] [emoji33] [emoji33] [emoji33] [emoji33] [emoji34] [emoji34] [emoji34] [emoji34] [emoji34] [emoji107] [emoji107] [emoji107] [emoji107] [emoji107]

My 2018 GT 5 R5 has a lot of issues. Most of them could have been resolved at the factory if there was a good quality control program in-place. I am dealing with poor quality parts, rust issues, lack of attention to deal, no testing after installation and poor workmanship. Some of the issues include: rusty stairs, rusty wheel covers, exposed wiring, missing wiring harness, wires improperly installed, wood trim not sanded, hole in the bedroom floor, missing moldings, blinds falling off, the front end of the stove coming apart, sensors not working, computer module had to be replaced and now I have a possible transmission problem. FR is working to fix the problems, but my unit was only available for one trip in 2018. The motor home has been in the shop for more than five months. The selling dealership was required to check this unit out prior to the sell and they missed a lot of things. If the coach is missing a wiring harness, how do checkout the electrical components? I am also dealing with a lot of rework from the second dealership. Techs are use pliers on plastic parts. The factory rep is really nice put they need new leadership at the factory. The service center needs trained technicians and new processes need to be put in-place when ordering parts. My new customer service rep is good and she returns emails and phone calls. Because of all these issues, I have wasted time and money. If FR has all these issues, a one year warranty is not long enough time to identify and repair all the problems. Once the repairs are completed, I will need to send my coach to Ford. What a mess!
azino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 05:50 AM   #31

Anything man made is going to break that’s just the facts of life. Not to say it isn’t frustrating for sure. Having said that, anything with a warranty needs to be inspected with a fine tooth comb right before the warranty expires especially in the RV world. With the push for “bigger but lighter with more stuff and better fuel mileage” something has to give. The main issue I see is we might be a bit too forgiving and too handy. Consumer demand is what changed the auto business and we need to collectively say “enough” over her in RV land. At the end, a push for longer warranty will solve the QC issues for sure.
emoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 07:00 AM   #32
I Break Everything

We've owned Two Jaycos, a Keystone and a Georgetown FR. Everyone of them had problems. Keystone was the worst. I don't even want to think about those years, ever again.

There could be some issues with trim, paint, etc. here and there, but I think we have to keep in mind these manufactures don't make the parts. They do assemble them, and all companies have these issues. I'm pretty sure there are more than a few Tiffin owners cussing them right now and the opposite. Are you mad? who made your slide motor? Did Ford manufacture the engine or transmission?

It's part of it. million dollars or hundred thousand. We don't have to like it, but man it's almost like a good lot of us are oblivious to RV problems when you should have known this stuff going in.

If anyone is reading this considering buying an RV, new or used...you are gonna have issues. Some big, some not, get ready. Good Luck.

2015 Georgetown Forest River 351DS Class A
2008 Keystone Cougar 293SAB 5th Wheel
2007 Jay Flight 30.5RLS 5th Wheel
2006 Jay Flight 29BHS TT
mikel68 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
georgetown, quality