Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2014, 04:09 PM   #41
Retired US Army CW4

I posted this some time ago, but I'll put it up again for anyone that didn't see it and is experiencing this problem. I did this to my 2014 329DS. It still creaked and popped for a couple of weekend trips but then it stopped and I haven't heard it since. I used the Maxima Motorcycle Fork Oil (you can get it at most motorcycle shops).

I spoke with a Lippert rep and they are well aware of the problem. Here is the solution he sent me:

ADDING ANTI-STICTION FLUID TO LCI HYDRAULIC SYSTEMS

Introduction:
If there is a popping noise in a Lippert Leveling system, Lippert has approved adding a quart of anti-stiction fluid. Approved fluids are listed by brand name and fluid characteristics below:

1. Torco RFF Grade 15 (Fig. 1)

2. Maxima Fork Oil Grade 15 (Fig. 2)

3. Caterpillar Hydraulic Oil Additive 1U-9891 (Fig. 3)

For maximum results in the shortest amount of time, please follow the preparation and procedure exactly as written below. Failure to follow the preparation and procedure may result in delayed resolution of the audible disturbance.

Preparation:

1. Obtain a clean container (large enough to hold a quart of fluid)

2. Obtain a fluid extraction device (siphon, turkey baster, etc.)

3. Fully retract all hydraulic cylinders and jacks.

Process:

1. Using the fluid extraction device, remove one quart of fluid from the power unit reservoir.

2. Add 1/2 quart of the specified fluid.

3. Extend all hydraulic cylinders and jacks fully.

4. Add the remaining amount of the specified fluid.

5. Fully retract all hydraulic cylinders and jacks.

6. Run the Auto-Level feature on the Level-Up system per the instructions found in the Owner's Manual.

NOTE:

If the noise persists, the addition of a second quart may be necessary. Follow steps 1 through 6.

Fig. 1 Fig. 2 Fig. 3
Attached Thumbnails
Tom and Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 04:48 PM   #42

I've had the same problem. I traced the noise to where the jack is bolted to the frame. The plate rubs ever so slightly against the frame, thus the noise. I spray silicone lube between the 2 pieces of metal and problem solved for about 3-4 months. Haven't built the courage to try a more permanent fix.
mr. mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 05:01 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. mars View Post
I've had the same problem. I traced the noise to where the jack is bolted to the frame. The plate rubs ever so slightly against the frame, thus the noise. I spray silicone lube between the 2 pieces of metal and problem solved for about 3-4 months. Haven't built the courage to try a more permanent fix.
If you are talking about the mounting bolts and plates of the jacks to the frame moving/rubbing that would suggest that those bolts are loose.
Their shouldn't be any movement there.
How about a picture of where you are talking about?
Thanks
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 05:09 PM   #44

That was the first thing I checked when I was down there. To test my theory, I had my wife and daughter walk around while I held my hand on each connection point. I could feel just a slight pop if you will when the rig swayed. It isn't much friction, but it's enough to cause some resonance that I personally find irritating. It doesn't bother the wife, but I just can't let it go, so very so often I get the old can of spray lube and it takes care of it for a while.
mr. mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 05:23 PM   #45

I am not a Class A guy, but wonder if the seals on the jacks start to set in place after several days in one position. Movement around in the MH causes slight compression or expansion on the jack, which moves the seals around the shafts by millimeters and perhaps they "pop" as they move. I would try retracting the jacks and then running them back down to see if it stops. If it does, perhaps spray them with some white lithium grease and run them up and down a few times. Again, I am new, but have had a bottle jack holding up a heavy load make a "pop" sound when it first started to move.
D_B Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 05:28 PM   #46

We are finely back in the MH and was reading this post when i realized ours isn't popping. Not sure why not but it's not. We move north Friday so I'll see if comes back. Hope not.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:38 AM   #47

Mr. Mars, if I understand you correctly it is not a hydraulic problem at all. As Iggy mentioned, it sounds like your bolts are not torqued and why you have movement which causes the pop. Not sure if the manual has the torque values, but I'm sure someone here knows what they are.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:32 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
We are finely back in the MH and was reading this post when i realized ours isn't popping. Not sure why not but it's not. We move north Friday so I'll see if comes back. Hope not.

When ours popped, it started after several days of the jacks being down and continued for 10 days. It was not just one jack creaking. It was all 4. Since then, I haven't heard any noise, but jacks have only been down a few days at a time. I think the longer they are down, the more likely they will start creaking. I'm taking the Lippert Bulletin to my dealer and ask them to put the additive in my tank. Can't see any harm in doing that.
Krazymace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 03:34 PM   #49

I siphoned and replaced fluid per Lippert's instruction using Maxima Fork Oil as recommended. Raised and lowered jacks and got lucky for a full day. After that it gradually came back, once we hit high 80's to 90 degrees creaking and popping came back with a vengeance.

Since we are leaving FL soon as we are heading back to NH, we will see what happens.

This has been our first long stay in one place so not sure how that factors Anybody?
nhjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 03:37 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhjoe View Post
I siphoned and replaced fluid per Lippert's instruction using Maxima Fork Oil as recommended. Raised and lowered jacks and got lucky for a full day. After that it gradually came back, once we hit high 80's to 90 degrees creaking and popping came back with a vengeance.

Since we are leaving FL soon as we are heading back to NH, we will see what happens.

This has been our first long stay in one place so not sure how that factors Anybody?

Good to know. When ours were the worst was when daytime temps were 80+ and nighttime was near freezing. Wondered if that was a factor. Other times it was warm, but not as cold at night. Jacks didn't creak.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:34 PM   #51

Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon35
Mine are 90 percent better but change in temps still makes it pop sometimes.
Protect-A-Tow
Falcon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 11:36 AM   #52
Retired US Army CW4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhjoe View Post

After I did the fluid replacement it took a couple of trips (raising and lowering jacks several times) for the creaking to stop. Before I did this I had gone around to each jack with a socket and a good sized bar to ensure all of the mounting bolts were tight (they were). After changing the fluid the creaking was reduced by at least 95%.
Tom and Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 08:28 PM   #53

Hello all, I have just taken delivery of a 2014 Sanibel (Primetime) and when we set it up at our lake lot we noticed a loud clicking or popping noise come from the left side of the unit close to front jack (LCI 6 point system). As well, after we hit auto level and all is level this is when the snapping and popping starts. It also starts to drop about an inch and half very 24 hours causing us to have to re-level every day sometimes 2 or 3 times a day. Once the jacks have fallen the noise stops and the jacks do not fall any further. Does anybody know what is going on? We are taking back to the dealer in about 3 weeks but in the meantime it drives me crazy listening to the noise these jacks make.
Jim.mcgallan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 09:09 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim.mcgallan View Post
Hello all, I have just taken delivery of a 2014 Sanibel (Primetime) and when we set it up at our lake lot we noticed a loud clicking or popping noise come from the left side of the unit close to front jack (LCI 6 point system). As well, after we hit auto level and all is level this is when the snapping and popping starts. It also starts to drop about an inch and half very 24 hours causing us to have to re-level every day sometimes 2 or 3 times a day. Once the jacks have fallen the noise stops and the jacks do not fall any further. Does anybody know what is going on? We are taking back to the dealer in about 3 weeks but in the meantime it drives me crazy listening to the noise these jacks make.

Sounds like you have a leaking pressure valve that is letting fluid drain bank into the tank. That valve should always be closed unless it exceeds a set PSI.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 08:55 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim.mcgallan View Post

I can appreciate the noise driving you crazy. My jacks never dropped. Stayed level, but the noise continued to get worse. I just completed the fluid replacement. Hoping that does the trick.
Old 07-10-2016, 09:51 PM   #56

Jacks- we loosened the bolts that hold the jacks to the frame and reinstalled with a 1/8 rubber washer between the jack steel and the RV frame. Popping gone
Jphatch248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 08:22 AM   #57

Hi, So here is a bit of info you may find interesting. Had the jacks down and wheels on the ground when a very windy storm came through. Both rear jacks had bent rods. Terrible screaming when I pulled them up and down. Ordered new jacks. Here is the catch, all of the GTs use the same jack for all positions. 8000 pound Aluminum units. Two issues:
1> 8,000# is right at the rear limit for each side. You BETTER NOT raise the wheels off of the ground. This is why they advise you not too. For $100 more/Jack retail FR could have used a 15,000# jack on the rear (even give this as an upgrade option). Also, they use a bolt on bracket but weld it (don't know if it matters but it is another weird one).
2> The differential in CTE between Aluminum and the steel bracket is high enough to cause the creaking if the 6 attachment bolts are not Locktite and torqued properly. Be very careful in using the rubber washer. Added flex could allow enough extra side motion to cause a bent rod.

2012 Georgetown 378XL
Toad 07 Lexus RX350
intercept is offline   Reply With Quote