Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2019, 09:07 PM   #1

Possibly purchasing a used 2014 Georgetown 315

Hey all, we currently have a travel trailer but looking to get something we can drive. I found a 2014, Georgetown 315 this past weekend. 25k miles. Test drove it and have checked everything. Seems that everything works. Dealer agreed to reseal all of the roof, window and wall seams, replace 4 coach batteries, change all fluids, service genset and put 6 new Goodyear tires on. I'm a little apprehensive to spent $66,000 on a 5 year old coach. Is there something I need to know about this year and model? Any input is appreciated!

Evolution Printing, Manassas, VA
Design ~ Printing ~ Signs
evoprinting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 11:17 PM   #2

I spent $64k on our 2012 250TS. It had 2 new coach batteries as well as a new chassis battery. 6, 1 1/2 year old tires along with a bunch of suspension upgrades. still smells new inside and was kept indoors! couldn't pass it up.

Look it over real good for any signs of leaks. If you can get everything done you mentioned it sounds like a good deal. remember, $66k sounds like a lot, but it half the price of new!

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 04:28 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Guy View Post
I spent $64k on our 2012 250TS. It had 2 new coach batteries as well as a new chassis battery. 6, 1 1/2 year old tires along with a bunch of suspension upgrades. still smells new inside and was kept indoors! couldn't pass it up.

Look it over real good for any signs of leaks. If you can get everything done you mentioned it sounds like a good deal. remember, $66k sounds like a lot, but it half the price of new!
Thanks Dodge Guy! Trying to catch the little things that are inherent with all RVs is what's tough. I realize that some issues will come up but trying to find anything major before signing the dotted line is what I'm stressing about.

Old 05-21-2019, 06:55 AM   #4

The biggest thing is water leaks. And the handling of the F53 chassis. Everything else is pretty simple. I would lose sleep over it!

Old 05-21-2019, 05:33 PM   #5

Those were going for under $100k at competitively priced dealers in 2014... You're getting about 3.5k in new tires and with the other stuff...you're effectively down around 60k net for a modestly used coach. The most commented things on the GT's of that period are the handling and the engine downshifting and "screaming" as it encounters bridge rises etc while on cruise control.
A "5star tune" can correct the shift point for a bit less than $500 and the cheap handling fix (see search for many threads here) and a steering stabilizer (SafeTPlus for us - $400) are the usual fixes with an occasional rear anti sway bar thrown in.
Your prior owner may have done some of this already...and you may not NEED to do any of it...as it seems to me to be highly dependent on the coach and towing set up and how much driving you intend to do. Anyway...for around 1% of what you are paying for the coach...you can fix either problem if it bothers you.
Some folks have reported the FG roof delaminating along the edge or rippling badly. I'd certainly climb a ladder and visually inspect the roof regardless of dealer promises ...before they cover anything up. (We have had 0 problems).
There has also been a large # of people who have had power step mechanism or motor failures including some dangerous shear pin failures. Worth checking carefully...about $600 bucks for a new one. (Ask me how I know!)
On the interior...if you have leatherette seating & captains chairs...check it carefully for shedding and wear. There was some really shoddy & cheap material used and if you see ANY shedding or flaking...you can count on the whole piece going south with a year or two and it is not cheap to buy new chairs of recover them in a quality way. No reason to walk away...but get an adjustment to the price at least.
Hopefully this will help you out...it is not meant to scare you...just to point out things to look for and be wary of before handing over your cash. We love our GT and would buy it all over again. Good luck.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 08:30 PM   #6

Have to agree with Camaraderie. We had a 2015 364 for three years. Great layout with two showers. But, there are three drawbacks to most GTs, (1) poor handling - tends to wander in the lane (expensive upgrades and CHF will help, but it will never drive like a DP), (2) lack of power, (3) the screaming engine noise as it often goes to 5,000 rpm even on small hills. Still, ours really served us well for three years even traveling with three teenagers. In reality, it's your attitude that makes camping fun. Keep in mind, no matter what you have, someone else will always have a better one. So, enjoy what you have to the fullest. Happy camping.
Old 05-21-2019, 11:26 PM   #7

Ok. The handling issue for me was setting the toe to proper specs. Mine was toed out 5/8 of an inch and was all over the road. I did a tape measure alignment and set it to 3/16 toed in and it handles as I would expect. Haven’t driven mine long enough to see how the poet is put down, but it is already better than my V-10 4 SPD 4.30 Excursion with 5star tune. I may get a 5 star tune eventually but I will see how mine does. And yes it’s going to kick down and rev up, that’s what gassers do. I would t expect anything less!

Old 05-22-2019, 09:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Those were going for under $100k at competitively priced dealers in 2014... You're getting about 3.5k in new tires and with the other stuff...you're effectively down around 60k net for a modestly used coach. The most commented things on the GT's of that period are the handling and the engine downshifting and "screaming" as it encounters bridge rises etc while on cruise control.
A "5star tune" can correct the shift point for a bit less than $500 and the cheap handling fix (see search for many threads here) and a steering stabilizer (SafeTPlus for us - $400) are the usual fixes with an occasional rear anti sway bar thrown in.
Your prior owner may have done some of this already...and you may not NEED to do any of it...as it seems to me to be highly dependent on the coach and towing set up and how much driving you intend to do. Anyway...for around 1% of what you are paying for the coach...you can fix either problem if it bothers you.
Some folks have reported the FG roof delaminating along the edge or rippling badly. I'd certainly climb a ladder and visually inspect the roof regardless of dealer promises ...before they cover anything up. (We have had 0 problems).
There has also been a large # of people who have had power step mechanism or motor failures including some dangerous shear pin failures. Worth checking carefully...about $600 bucks for a new one. (Ask me how I know!)
On the interior...if you have leatherette seating & captains chairs...check it carefully for shedding and wear. There was some really shoddy & cheap material used and if you see ANY shedding or flaking...you can count on the whole piece going south with a year or two and it is not cheap to buy new chairs of recover them in a quality way. No reason to walk away...but get an adjustment to the price at least.
Hopefully this will help you out...it is not meant to scare you...just to point out things to look for and be wary of before handing over your cash. We love our GT and would buy it all over again. Good luck.
Excellent info! Thank you very much!

Old 05-23-2019, 09:57 AM   #9

We bought our 2014 315 brand new for 100,000. we love it. I did the CHF and it handles great. we had a few little problems at first but nothing that I couldn't fix myself. like everybody has said check for water leak damage. it is a great unit.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlkrantz View Post
We bought our 2014 315 brand new for 100,000. we love it. I did the CHF and it handles great. we had a few little problems at first but nothing that I couldn't fix myself. like everybody has said check for water leak damage. it is a great unit.
Thanks!

Tags
2014, georgetown