Old 09-28-2016, 03:35 PM   #1

Potential 369DS owner

We have a FR travel trailer and are looking to upgrade to a Class A motorhome. Really like the looks of the 369DS. We will do some traveling in the NW and in the NE so mountains are a concern. Some have advised that we should get a Diesel Pusher. For those with the 369DS or similar models, what has your experience been when traveling in mountainous areas? What are your thoughts on Diesel or Gas Class Cs?

Any advise is appreciated..

Old 09-28-2016, 07:32 PM   #2

The Georgetown comes in two flavors. A regular Georgetown and the Georgetown XL. The XL might be a few more dollars but comes with really great upgraded options that may or may not be in the regular version.
So the model and the options will be your choice.

Now to the Ford V-10 chassis
The engine is solid as a rock and can easily pull a car on the highway at 65 mph if you like with no effort. The new 2016 and on have a 6 speed transmission that sounds like it down shift less the older 5 speeds.
I have travelled up many mountains around the US that range up to 10,000 ft with 10% grades and the Ford V-10 has no issues in pulling you up at a reasonable speed. Now the engine will work hard on steep hills and you will hear much of the noise from the engine during these climbs but that should be a small percentage of the time when travelling cross country. Fuel mileage expect 7mpg or so and diesels get maybe 1 mpg more but you have to think about the additional costs compared to a gas rig.

I have a Georgetown XL 378TS which is on the same 242" wheelbase cassis as your model. 22.5" tires are a must for longer distances which I really like. The one piece fiberglass roof was one item that made me decide to buy as well as the full body paint instead of stickers.
If you are planning cold climates the electric fire place is a great to keep the chill off inside and you do have two gas furnaces on top of that. They also have what they call Artic Pak which has small heat plates on your tanks as well as any water elbow that may be effected by 32 degree weather. They also have double pane windows as an option which is great for hot and cold weather but also dampens outside noise a great deal.

I have carpet and linoleum on the floors but some have now tile which is nice but adds a lot of extra weight and they have had issues of stress cracking after awhile.

My 2012 Georgetown has almost 50,000 miles and I have had issues in the first year just like everyone. Expect things to surface in the first year and this is were a good dealer close by will take care of warranty issues. You know you have a trailer.

Oh if you have $250,000 and want the extra expense of a diesel pusher go right ahead. You will be able to carry lots more stuff but remember the added cost comes with higher price in fuel, diesel additive juice, oil changes, high prices air, oil fuel filter.

Now I can go on and on but I will let other chime in and give their opinions so you get a good over view of the Georgetown.

I for one have been very happy with mine and plan to keep rolling for another 50,000 miles.

Before I go never pay the listed price. You can easily get 20 to 30% of that price depending upon the time of year you buy as well as if you buy a 2016 at the end of the year or a new 2017 at the beginning of the year.

Bottom line enjoy the journey and have fun.

Iggy

P.S. Being in Springfield IL you are close to where they make the Georgetown in Elkhart Indiana

Iggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 11:51 PM   #3

We have owned our 2016 Georgetown 369XL for almost a year. Iggy really hit the nail on the head with his post.

The only correction needed is the 369Ds only comes with one propane heater, not two. I thought at first that would be an issue, but it really does a good job keeping the temperature comfortable.

We have been towing a Jeep Wrangler and been getting 7.5 mpg. We have only been travelling in the PA, MD, VA, and DE area, but it seems to do OK on the hills we have encountered. Can be a little noisy if you get into a situation we're you need to have the transmission downshift, but overall, the new 6 speed transmission does very good.

I know some express concerns of the excessive heat in the cockpit area in the summer due to setting on top of the engine. We drove in 95 degrees and it wasn't unbearable. This would be a non-issue with the diesel pusher, but for the price difference, I am willing to put up with a little noise and heat.

The 22.5 inch tires make a really smooth ride. I have been more furtunate than others who have posted on here as I did not need an alignment or any other modifications to the front end. I do use the Blue Ox Patriot brake for the jeep, but I usually keep the sensitivity turn down because the MH has no problem stopping with the jeep in tow.

We do have the tile floor and love it. It is so easy to keep clean. Sweep and wet mop and it is all done. No need to get concerned if mud happens to get drug inside. We did have one cracked tile replaced. I probably would not have had it replaced if it were not in for other minor work. A few places has grout separating from the tile, but I will plan on having to regrout in a few years. One word of caution, it can be slippery when wet. Especially when getting out of the shower.
Old 09-29-2016, 12:40 PM   #4
Georgia Gets Around

I concur with the above posts. Yes, it will be noisy on a steep grade - it doesn't last forever and we are used to it but I would imagine that noise might scare some into wanting a DP instead. But for the price point, we are very happy with it. It pulls our tow dolly and Jetta like it isn't even there.
We have learned to run our genny with front AC on super hot days - it really is uncomfortable otherwise. We also start and stop earlier on a summer day. I think we were horrified at first at using the genny while driving - it seemed so wasteful - but you do need to run it regularly anyway so why not do it to improve our quality of life?
Old 09-30-2016, 10:09 AM   #5

Had our 369DS since June and have a few weekend trips as well as one long trip from Charlotte to FL and back.

For the money, it is one of the best floor plans out there - just be sure to think about sleeping arrangements if you have regular guests (kids, friends, etc.) as the sofa and overhead bunk are pretty uncomfortable (the king bed, however, is awesome).

As for noise and heat, I can confirm both. Is it too much? I guess tolerances vary, but for us, it is not a deal killer. Yeah, it's a bit of a roar going up hills, but the V10 does just fine. And the heat was really only an issue on 1-95 in July in 103 degree heat and stop and go traffic. We have friends with a diesel pusher and they get less gas mileage, and have heat issues, albeit in the back bathroom which is over the engine. Again, for the money, the gas V10 and the Ford chasis are dynamite.

The only real niggle I have is that we have 2 sets of tanks for black and grey. It makes it a little more of a pain to dump, but if that's all I can complain about...that's not too bad, huh?

Buy the 369. You'll love it. Let me know if you have any more questions.
Old 10-09-2016, 03:17 PM   #6

Forgot to mention earlier but the 369DS has a King size bed which I wish I had in my 378TS.
The 369DS still has more room in the bedroom than the 378TS does.

But I have a beautiful back window in my bedroom.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New 029.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	240.8 KB
ID:	122495   Click image for larger version

Name:	New 039.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	202.7 KB
ID:	122496  

Iggy is online now   Reply With Quote