Old 05-14-2009, 05:54 PM   #1
Canadian Georgetown 350ds

Power Awning

I have a 2009 Georgetown 350dsse

On this motorhome we have the power awning from Dometic

We were camping and ever night the awning rolled up. It was not windy and my battery was good.

After reading the manual it says when the tempature hits zero degrees it rolls up the awning

I called a few service guys but they couldnt answer the question if I can shut that feature off.

We can never hang lights or anything from the awning as where I live it hits the freezing mark often.

Help or suggestions

Old 05-14-2009, 06:10 PM   #2

Power Awning

Mine has rolled up when I started the generator; but not everytime. I think they have a mind of their own as no one can give me an answer. Mine has a control panel inside the storage compartment and I can turn off the wind sensor.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:43 PM   #3

Ours rolled itself back up twice while we were camped on the Oregon coast in January. Temps outside were 34 degrees at the lowest point and there was no wind.

I don't think this can be turned off as I have seen no procedure for it. I think their thinking is that if it is cold enough to snow they don't want a snow load building up on the awning at night while you sleep. You just might wake up in the morning to find your awining laying on the ground broken.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 01:18 PM   #4
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Mine has a control box inside the compartment to the right of the door. There's a switch there to disable the wind sensor. There's definitely something about them and temperature. My daughter woke me up one night because she heard a beeping coming from the motorhome when she got home from work. It was below freezing outside and when I finally tracked down the noise it was coming from the box in the compartment. I switched the box to the disable mode and the noise stopped. As for the awning closing itself we've never had it do that yet and at Myrtle Beach with some of the wind gusts at the beach I really thought it would have closed.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 07:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfsoistman View Post
Mine has a control box inside the compartment to the right of the door. There's a switch there to disable the wind sensor. There's definitely something about them and temperature. My daughter woke me up one night because she heard a beeping coming from the motorhome when she got home from work. It was below freezing outside and when I finally tracked down the noise it was coming from the box in the compartment. I switched the box to the disable mode and the noise stopped. As for the awning closing itself we've never had it do that yet and at Myrtle Beach with some of the wind gusts at the beach I really thought it would have closed.
We too have never had the wind close the awning, just the cold. I thought there was something wrong with the sensor so I took it to our local Dometic dealer (thank god it wasnt the FR dealer as they are a bunch of worms!) Anyway they tested the sensor and said it was fine, that the wind has to be consistant for more than a minute to activate and put the awning away. Doesn't give me much confidence that is for sure. I put it away manually now if we are going to be away or am unsure of it. I really like the convienience of the power awning but I miss the old manual one on our last rig that I could set up, tilt it, tie it down and forget it.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 08:02 PM   #6

It's been a year since I've owned a Georgetown with the power awning. This weekend the awning rolled about 6 times in one day. There was no wind and temp was 90 degrees. The batteries were fully charged as I have solar panels. Anyone else have this problem?
Old 08-17-2009, 08:17 AM   #7
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire View Post
It's been a year since I've owned a Georgetown with the power awning. This weekend the awning rolled about 6 times in one day. There was no wind and temp was 90 degrees. The batteries were fully charged as I have solar panels. Anyone else have this problem?
Had it rained prior to your trip? Possibly water getting into the controls somehow and the heat / sun possibly creating a steam of sorts? I'm just guessing. Did it stop when the temperatures dropped down?

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Old 08-17-2009, 08:43 AM   #8

Nope; no rain. I even deactivated the wind sensor via the remote control and it still did it.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:34 PM   #9
CLASS "A" Senior Member

You may want to contact customer service about this. Here's the manual and website info. Hope this helps. Let us know what they advise or when serviced what the problem was.

http://www.dometic.com/39ddef5d-f22c...b38c2008.fodoc

http://www.dometic.com/enus/Americas...ctdataid=67029

Good luck, Charlie

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Tags
awning