Old 10-03-2014, 10:29 AM   #1

Power being cut off to the RV park

Today, the RV park I'm staying is having maintenance done and power is being cut off periodically throughout the park. For the next three days, some sort of maintenance is being done requiring the power to be cut off at times we aren't sure of except sometime between 9-6.

I plan on periodically running the generator. Should I run it all the time or just every few hours? Someday told me I didn't have to run it all the time so I just want to confirm.

Is there anything else I need to do to avoid problems with power surges? Should I unplug the RV from the power source?

Old 10-03-2014, 10:35 AM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetown50 View Post
Today, the RV park I'm staying is having maintenance done and power is being cut off periodically throughout the park. For the next three days, some sort of maintenance is being done requiring the power to be cut off at times we aren't sure of except sometime between 9-6.

I plan on periodically running the generator. Should I run it all the time or just every few hours? Someday told me I didn't have to run it all the time so I just want to confirm.

Is there anything else I need to do to avoid problems with power surges? Should I unplug the RV from the power source?
Unless you have some sort of power management system, I would definitely unhook just to be safe. You can't be sure of surges,etc, from them working on the parks power.

You only need the generator to run the 120 volt stuff (air conditioner, microwave, fridge on electric, any outlets, etc.) The 12 volt stuff will run off your batteries, but you will need to start the generator when the batteries get low in order for the converter (which operates off 120 volt) to recharge the batteries.

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 11:36 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Unless you have some sort of power management system, I would definitely unhook just to be safe. You can't be sure of surges,etc, from them working on the parks power.

You only need the generator to run the 120 volt stuff (air conditioner, microwave, fridge on electric, any outlets, etc.) The 12 volt stuff will run off your batteries, but you will need to start the generator when the batteries get low in order for the converter (which operates off 120 volt) to recharge the batteries.
I will need to have the generator on to watch TV then right?

The refrigerator should switch over automatically to propane right? But then when I turn on the generator, it sounds like I could them get it to run off the generator and not propane. True?

The hot water heater would my only other concern. When I unplug the electric, I know there is a switch to put me over to propane and not electric, but I'm also wondering if I am running the generator, would the hot water heater run off the generator if I had the switch in the electric position as it normally is?

Thanks.
Old 10-03-2014, 12:23 PM   #4
Site Team

Answers in blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetown50 View Post
I will need to have the generator on to watch TV then right?

Correct, if the television is of the 120 volt type (as most are)

The refrigerator should switch over automatically to propane right? But then when I turn on the generator, it sounds like I could them get it to run off the generator and not propane. True?

If the fridge is set to auto, then that should be correct, but I would defer this to a true motorhome owner to be sure.

The hot water heater would my only other concern. When I unplug the electric, I know there is a switch to put me over to propane and not electric, but I'm also wondering if I am running the generator, would the hot water heater run off the generator if I had the switch in the electric position as it normally is?

Thanks.

As long as there is water in the heater this should be correct. Your switch to run it off propane/dsi should be inside the coach. If you are referring to a Suburban brand water heater that has the electric element switch located on the front of the water heater itself.... You can run the electric element and the propane at the same time, or either one separate. This may help:

Suburban's electric switch and much more

The electric element should work off the generator (as long as the element is turned on)........but will not default to propane like a fridge. You have to turn the propane/dsi switch on inside your motorhome to run it off propane.

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 01:27 PM   #5

WMTIRE, is correct on all, Is your whole unit wired for the generator? If it is everything will work as if plugged in. Some might not have the capacity to run everything depending on the size. Then they start choosing what they want to wire to the gen set. For me if I had one I would want to be able to run my whole unit same as being plugged in.
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 01:49 PM   #6

If I were you, I would find another campground until the electrical issues are completed.
Old 10-03-2014, 01:59 PM   #7

Power being cut off to the RV park

If you are concerned with power surges, I would high tail it to the nearest CW and buy the TRC 50amp Digital Surge Protector. It will save your RV and it electronically monitors you power supply coming in and provides safe power regulation to protect your RV. This what I use and I will not get caught short again in campgrounds with power issues.
" On the go to see something amazing"
- Psalm 107:23-24
lrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 02:23 PM   #8

Each day, first thing in the morning, I'd switch the fridge and hot water heater to propane and then unplug from the park power source. After 6, again each day, once you've confirmed power has been restored I'd replug into the park power source and switch the fridge and hot water heater back to 120v for the night.

If your battery's in good shape it should do fine running on its own for 9-10 hours each day and it will recharge during the night once you're reconnected to the park power source.

I'd only use the generator if you absolutely need 120v during the day and turn it off when you're done. I'd leave the fridge and hot water heater on propane while running the generator. The propane savings would be minimal if you switched to 120v when running the generator and if your generator sets it speed depending on load it should run a little quieter not powering the fridge and hot water heater while it runs your TV or whatever 120v item you're using.
2012 (6 nights), 2013 (32 nights), 2014 (26 nights), 2015 (37 nights), 2016 (14 nights)
mTn_biKer65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 02:59 PM   #9

I would move to another park for a few days but I'm sick with a cold and am not up to it.
Old 10-03-2014, 03:02 PM   #10

Thanks for your response.

Tags
power