Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2010, 07:46 PM   #1

Power Shades

My buddy just got back from the Hershey show and said some of the new Georgetowns have power shades for the front window. Do any of you have this or have you installed an after market unit? I'm thinking of calling FR to get more info. I'll share if I find anything out.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:35 AM   #2

I installed power shades on my 2008 Georgetown. The original shades seemed worthless as it was impossible to reach them while driving. Since then the only time I used them was when I was parked and the coach was facing west . The sun was setting so it came through the windshield at that time. It seems that while driving the upper part of the windshield is tinted and the drivers seat is set back far enough that the sun has never bothered me while driving. It could be that I have never been headed directly west at the right time of the day. Maybe other owners can give their experiences; but I see no reason for the expense.
Crossfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 12:16 PM   #3
CLASS "A" Senior Member

I found out 5 minutes after we picked up our 2007 Georgetown 370 that the visors were useless. One of my initial projects was to install power visors. I purchased a set from Camping World with a remote on sale. They are called Smart Visors but I'm not sure if they handle them anymore. They are made by Carefree of Colorado. It's a bit of work to fish the wires down to the control box but really not too difficult. I did have a problem with the remote after one year but after I called them they shipped another to me with a new control box and I sent the other back through Chesaco RV. They really help block out the sun and all at a push of a button.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 04:25 PM   #4

Picked up two A&E manual shades at the Little Rock CW on the bargin table for $40 each. Took off the useless shade and installed these. The DW can adjust when needed.
ArkyGeorgetown330TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:40 PM   #5

The power shades are now be offered as an option on the new 2011
Georgetowns. The dealer I am talking to just found this out last week. I will order my new unit with them.

Mike
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
The power shades are now be offered as an option on the new 2011
Georgetowns. The dealer I am talking to just found this out last week. I will order my new unit with them.

Mike
That's what I was hoping to hear. I will have to check with my dealer or FR if the can be retro fitted. Thanks.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:07 PM   #7

WOW !!! Power shades.

What will they think of next. A self-wiping toilet?

Eventually, we won't have the strength to do anything, if we depend on all the creature comfort items to do it for us.
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 12:09 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by milzat View Post
WOW !!! Power shades.

What will they think of next. A self-wiping toilet?

Eventually, we won't have the strength to do anything, if we depend on all the creature comfort items to do it for us.
Well, actually a Toto bidet seat would be nice. That one is on the back burner until I get the washer/dryer put in and some ride rite airbags installed. And oh yea, the wife really wants those power shades.

Besides I figure I get enough exercise lifting my beer I can have a toilet that cleans my bottom for me
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 03:11 PM   #9

Talked to F.R. today and was told they have to be added during manufacture because they have to be wired in. They are electric.
we2lovecamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 04:58 PM   #10

We just ordered our 350TS on the weekend with the shades. The other option being offered now is an automatic transfer switch which I think toggles the power between the genset and shore power when you plug in. Both options are quite reasonably priced so I ordered both.

MIke
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 04:59 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWJeeper View Post
Well, actually a Toto bidet seat would be nice. That one is on the back burner until I get the washer/dryer put in and some ride rite airbags installed. And oh yea, the wife really wants those power shades.

Besides I figure I get enough exercise lifting my beer I can have a toilet that cleans my bottom for me
I see I'm not the only one that has to check with the wife befor I do anything LOL, and as for the Air Bags, I picked mine up at Olympic Off road in Tacoma, $350, and I installed myself real easy

Hatchet
Chevy 2500HD Diesel
07 SandPiper F305

Days camped 2011 "3" so far,
Hatchet58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 05:46 PM   #12

Just wish they could be added after purchase. I have called Wade Accessories in Florida and they are going to call me back with an estimate on installing manual shades(same as used on Tiffen products).
we2lovecamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by we2lovecamping View Post
Talked to F.R. today and was told they have to be added during manufacture because they have to be wired in. They are electric.
That stinks, but I'll pursue further as Carefree shades can be wired in after market. Maybe I'll see if I can buy and hook up myself with some help.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:31 AM   #14
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bresdogsr View Post
That stinks, but I'll pursue further as Carefree shades can be wired in after market. Maybe I'll see if I can buy and hook up myself with some help.
They're not difficult to do. The kit includes a in-line fuse to protect the circuit. It's just a little tricky getting the wire across the windshield cabinets. There is a pocket to run the wires through and then down the columns on each side. I went with the remote control version so I didn't have to mount the push buttons for each visor in the dash.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 08:55 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfsoistman View Post
They're not difficult to do. The kit includes a in-line fuse to protect the circuit. It's just a little tricky getting the wire across the windshield cabinets. There is a pocket to run the wires through and then down the columns on each side. I went with the remote control version so I didn't have to mount the push buttons for each visor in the dash.
Thanks for the info. That may be the route to take.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:40 PM   #16

The wife and I were in indana in July and took a tour of the factory and we saw how they were installing the NEW Power Sun Shades, they are way better then the pull down visors. We have an 08 378XL and after seeing them I ordered them on line, 2, 43" remote operating shades that come all the way down to the dash. They work GREAT...I believe they were about $90.00 each ....free remote and free shipping...on e-bay installing can be tricky...you have to remove both side corner post and fish the wire through to down under the dash. If anyone needs better details on how to install them, drop me an e-mail and I will do my best to explain....

jnjdickson515@verizon.net

Joe
JDickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 08:47 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDickson View Post
The wife and I were in indana in July and took a tour of the factory and we saw how they were installing the NEW Power Sun Shades, they are way better then the pull down visors. We have an 08 378XL and after seeing them I ordered them on line, 2, 43" remote operating shades that come all the way down to the dash. They work GREAT...I believe they were about $90.00 each ....free remote and free shipping...on e-bay installing can be tricky...you have to remove both side corner post and fish the wire through to down under the dash. If anyone needs better details on how to install them, drop me an e-mail and I will do my best to explain....

jnjdickson515@verizon.net

Joe
Thanks for the info. Were they the Carefree shades? Do you have the ebay link?