Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2011, 09:13 PM   #1

Power sun visor

Hi,

I just picked up my new Georgetown. I ordered it with the power sun visor, which comes with manual shades on the side windows. The power visor works great (couldn't do without it) but, when I tried to lower the driver-side shade to block the sun from that side, it kept flipping up. Are the manual shades intended only for use while parked, or do the shades maybe require a little adjustment?

Gary Shapiro, 2011 Georgetown 29' Class A
Dash, Molly & Lily - now at the Bridge and forever in my heart
Shadow - 4-year-old Greyhound
Hannah - 1 1/2-year-old GSD rescue
dashonthedash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:42 PM   #2
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Probably just needs an adjustment since they are manual. There would be no interlock with the ignition that would cause it to flip up. Is the power visor one large visor across the front or two? Ours didn't come with any so I purchased a pair and installed them myself. The stock manual visors are a waste. You can't reach them while driving, so unless there's someone else to adjust them for you, they don't help at all.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:15 PM   #3

The power visor is one large visor across the front. The shades replaced the curtain, which was not included. The power visor has a maximum drop point when the ignition is on, and will drop all the way when the ignition is off, doubling as a privacy shade. The side shades will lower and stay, but then will flip up after a bit of driving. This could be normal if they're only intended as privacy shades.

Gary Shapiro, 2011 Georgetown 29' Class A
Dash, Molly & Lily - now at the Bridge and forever in my heart
Shadow - 4-year-old Greyhound
Hannah - 1 1/2-year-old GSD rescue
dashonthedash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 07:26 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashonthedash View Post
Hi,

I just picked up my new Georgetown. I ordered it with the power sun visor, which comes with manual shades on the side windows. The power visor works great (couldn't do without it) but, when I tried to lower the driver-side shade to block the sun from that side, it kept flipping up. Are the manual shades intended only for use while parked, or do the shades maybe require a little adjustment?
Glad to hear the front shades work great. I just ordered them to be installed in my 2010. Had one too many bad episodes with the sun.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:54 AM   #5
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfsoistman View Post
Probably just needs an adjustment since they are manual. There would be no interlock with the ignition that would cause it to flip up. Is the power visor one large visor across the front or two? Ours didn't come with any so I purchased a pair and installed them myself. The stock manual visors are a waste. You can't reach them while driving, so unless there's someone else to adjust them for you, they don't help at all.

cfsoistman.....

We have a 2010 GT378TS. Where, what kind and cost of shades did you purchase?

How difficult were they to install? Did you get the automatic or manual?

If you got the automatic, do you think one could install them and wire them into the fans up front?...or do away with the fans altogether? We never use them.

Thanks for yur advice.
gartonhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 11:25 AM   #6

Send a message via MSN to nemo45 Send a message via Yahoo to nemo45
Quote:
Originally Posted by bresdogsr View Post
Glad to hear the front shades work great. I just ordered them to be installed in my 2010. Had one too many bad episodes with the sun.
Where did you order them from and what did they cost? My dealer told me it would be $800 to $900 to have them installed.
nemo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 03:22 PM   #7

My manual shades have a locking knob on the back that you turn when you lower them where you want them.
ArkyGeorgetown330TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 04:42 PM   #8

I purchased two 43 inch drop down shades and they cover the whole front of the windshield. I think they are better because my wife can lower her side by itself if she needs it. I also put two smaller ones up on each side , but they only come down 18" , They were not to hard to install, but it did take most part of two days between the wiring and everything else, but they do work great. Cost $79.95 buy two, one for each side and you get a free remote. They are on ebay under the name Shadeproinc or you can call them at 1-800-328-5100 Sizes from 30" to 54" wide and they do drop down all the way to the dash or anywhere in between.
Joe & Jeannette
2008 Georgetown XL 378
JDickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:28 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo45 View Post
Where did you order them from and what did they cost? My dealer told me it would be $800 to $900 to have them installed.
I am having them installed at my dealer Boat N Rv in Hamburg PA. The are the factory shades and are $575 installed. When I get my baby back I'll try to post pics.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDickson View Post
I purchased two 43 inch drop down shades and they cover the whole front of the windshield. I think they are better because my wife can lower her side by itself if she needs it. I also put two smaller ones up on each side , but they only come down 18" , They were not to hard to install, but it did take most part of two days between the wiring and everything else, but they do work great. Cost $79.95 buy two, one for each side and you get a free remote. They are on ebay under the name Shadeproinc or you can call them at 1-800-328-5100 Sizes from 30" to 54" wide and they do drop down all the way to the dash or anywhere in between.
Joe & Jeannette
2008 Georgetown XL 378
Can't find them on ebay, but I am definitely interested.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:25 PM   #11

Quote:
dashonthedash Power sun visor
Hi,

I don't know where you are located but the same shades on our new Georgetown barely work due to the cold weather around here (-23C -9F). If this is not the cause perhaps the spring can be wound tighter in the same fashion as any standard blind.

Mike
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:24 AM   #12

SHADEPRO INC
They are not always on ebay, they only advertize there when they have a surplus of stock, but you can call them at 1-800-328-5100 maybe they can send you out a brochure.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:33 AM   #13
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gartonhl View Post
cfsoistman.....

We have a 2010 GT378TS. Where, what kind and cost of shades did you purchase?

How difficult were they to install? Did you get the automatic or manual?

If you got the automatic, do you think one could install them and wire them into the fans up front?...or do away with the fans altogether? We never use them.

Thanks for yur advice.
I bought mine from Camping World when they were on sale. They are made by Carefree of Colorado. I wnet for two shades with the remote control. They weren't too difficult to install. I'm sure they would be easier for someone on the slimmer side of life and young. It's amazing what your body will tell you after you do something you're not used to doing. I ran the wiring down the sides under the trim. I think it was 3 long drywall screws holding each in place. I pulled them under the hood and over to the driver's side where I mounted the control box on the wall at the floor. I see Camping World still sells them.

SmartVisor & Power SmartVisor

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...martvisor/5493

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Old 01-25-2011, 07:47 AM   #14

WOW! Camping World has them on sale for $50.00 I thought I did good at Shadepro Inc for $79.95 each. When you bought two they came with a so called free remote.... It pays to shop around.
And yes you take the three or so screws out of the side window posts and run the wiring down and out of the way.
Joe
2008 Georgetown XL 378
With the remote power shades
Old 01-25-2011, 09:49 AM   #15
Kanadian Kamper

I'm assuming this thread is to offer an alternative to the factory sun visors which are really too small and way to high, for when you're driving. I also assume there is sufficient strength in the overhead bulhead to drill into when mounting the power blinds.

The links which show the aftermarket offerrings (whether at Camping World or not) show there are gaps between the individual blinds which probably would not do for privacy drapes at night.

Does anyone know if they ever see these power blinds in-store, or do you always have to order them?

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:26 AM   #16
CLASS "A" Senior Member

I've never seen them at any stores or even any RV Shows I can remember, I installed ours for driving. As I stated before, the stock visors are just about useless. Way too small and out of reach for the driver. We used ours once along with the curtain at the Hershey RV Show because the flood lights they set up for night time still lit up the interior too much. So I lowered them and they blocked out the light much better than the curtain alone.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Old 01-25-2011, 11:19 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDickson View Post
WOW! Camping World has them on sale for $50.00 I thought I did good at Shadepro Inc for $79.95 each. When you bought two they came with a so called free remote.... It pays to shop around.
And yes you take the three or so screws out of the side window posts and run the wiring down and out of the way.
Joe
2008 Georgetown XL 378
With the remote power shades
Looks like we're stuck with the shade pro price. The campingworld web site says it no longer supports the sale of the carefree power visors, so I called the local campingworld and they said they no longer sell them and that they have been discontinued. I think I am going to grab up a pair.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:05 PM   #18

I ordered 2 43" shades, one for each side and when installed there is only about a 1" gap in the middle of them, so they do cover 98% of the windshield. I would suggest to anyone to buy them in pairs as you do get the free remote which save you from wiring uop to a up & down switch.
And yes the overhead plywood is strong enough to hold them in place, I've had mine up for at least 6 months with no problems.
Good Luck
Old 02-11-2011, 10:51 AM   #19

Quote:
I am having them installed at my dealer Boat N Rv in Hamburg PA. The are the factory shades and are $575 installed. When I get my baby back I'll try to post pics.
Update: The $575 was only for the night time shade not the dual power shade which is a day uv blocker shade as well as the night shade. This is $950 which includes changing out the plastic A pillars to ones with 2 groves vs the one in the unit with one grove. No sure if I want to spend that much. May look into alternatives. $950 is alot of gas.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:59 AM   #20

Quote:
Update: The $575 was only for the night time shade not the dual power shade which is a day uv blocker shade as well as the night shade. This is $950 which includes changing out the plastic A pillars to ones with 2 groves vs the one in the unit with one grove. No sure if I want to spend that much. May look into alternatives. $950 is alot of gas.
I ordered the shades from shadepro also. My dealer also gave me a price of $900 for installing the power shades with the new pillar covers. I thought this was high. I ordered two shades so got the remote control and shipping free. Now the fun starts, installation.