Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2012, 06:08 PM   #1

Preparing for winter

Hi, i just purchased a 351 model (2012) and we love it.

We live in Canada (Gatineau, Quebec) across the river from Ottawa and our winters can be cold. I will put antifreeze in all pipes like I always did but I need information for other stuff.

I will remove both 12V bateries but should I leave the one for the motor?

you see I entend to start my RV every week all winter (same goes for generator) to keep all liquid from freezing and consedation.

It will remain outside on asphalt all winter.

Should I remove all TV's from the Motorhome and store them inside?

thanks
Old 10-10-2012, 07:23 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon35
If you are going to run generator every week you will want to leave the house batteries in. I was at an RV seminar this summer where we were told it is necessary to run the generator for 1/2 hour under no less then 1/2 load every month. The instructor suggested that we could start the generator and turn on both air conditioners as we went down the road. He told us that it needed to work to dry everything out. If you have fire place you could turn that on plus an other heater. We do not take the TV's out but we do go south right after new years. Gatineau mybe a little colder but it gets real cold in Waterloo ON as well and our TV's have been fine.
Protect-A-Tow
Falcon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:20 PM   #3
Kanadian Kamper

First thing to check is the electrolyte (water) levels in all batteries is at the proper level for all cells. If you have sealed (maintenance free batteries) never mind. Then make sure all batteries are properly charged up.

As far as the engine part of the motorhome, you may want to add the correct amount of fuel stabilizer (readily available in the automotive section at Canadian Tire and such) then make sure you have the gas tank completely filled (to mix the stabilizer and the gas) and to minimize condensation from developing. Remember, the generator uses the same gasoline as the motorhome engine, so you may want to run the genny with the stabilizer/gas mixture.

When you do your monthly testing, start the motorhome, start the genny, turn on as many things as you can electrically to give the genny a good workout for at least a half hour or more each time. DO NOT turn on the televisions during the periods of really cold weather (basically until you're ready to go camping again).

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:36 PM   #4

A couple of electric space heaters makes a good load for the generator for those once a month "use me" times. Be careful to plug them into outlets that are on different circuit breakers to avoid popping a breaker. My 327DS has two circuits; one for the GFCI protected outlets, the other for everything else.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:32 PM   #5

Hi Gobuzzgo, I live in Québec, Qc, do not forget to purge your water heater and let it open. The others important elements , the washer/dryer and the ice cube machin if you have some!

Good luck
senforex is offline   Reply With Quote