Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2013, 01:26 AM   #1

Preventive Maintenance

I full time in my RV but sadly, we don't really go anywhere. We aren't retired yet but live in the RV full time. I've lived in the RV for 5 years and time has really passed. I haven't really done much in the way of preventive maintenance in that time but after having just replaced the tires in the rig and the batteries, it begs the question of what preventive maintenance I should be doing?

At Camping World, they told me I should be checking the water in the battery every 3 months. Surprisingly, the battery lasted 5 years with me not ever checking the condition of the battery. Coincidentially, it went out on the same day I was heading in the Camping World to get the tires replaced anyway. I also ran completely out of propane that same day. Filled that back up too.

How often should I have the oil replaced even though the miles are next to nothing? How often should I be having the generator oil replaced or serviced if all I do is start it once a month?

Another different question is related to fresh water tank. We get our water from the city but my wife thinks we should keep water in the fresh water holding tank in cases of emergency. That seems like a big hassle with having to worry about shocking it periodically to ensure it doesn't grow algae or something. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance for any comments.
georgetown50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:20 AM   #2

The one time where you stay loses water for any reason, you will wish you had some water in the tank. Just a thought.
cstover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:50 PM   #3

Even if you don't use it much, you should still change the oil at least once a year; the oil does get stale if it sits there too long. As for the generator, since you obviously don't use it, make sure you do check the oil periodically and change the oil every few years. As Camping World noted, you should be checking the water in your battery, since you're probably always hooked up to power and, even if you have a multi-stage converter, the water will eventually boil away.

Gary Shapiro, 2011 Georgetown 29' Class A
Dash, Molly & Lily - now at the Bridge and forever in my heart
Shadow - 4-year-old Greyhound
Hannah - 1 1/2-year-old GSD rescue
dashonthedash is offline   Reply With Quote