Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2015, 08:50 PM   #1

Problem removing wheel covers on 2014 Georgetown 328TS

I tried today to remove the front Kaper II wheel covers and I couldn't get any of the three lug nuts (with the "dents") on either wheel to break loose with the factory provided tool. This is the first time I have tried to remove the wheel covers so I suspect they were just over-torqued at the factory. Before I try something with a little more leverage to break them loose I wanted to see if someone can confirm that these do loosen with a counter-clockwise turn.
WayneT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 08:55 PM   #2

Yes they turn CCW. Best to take off with a socket and ratchet and then put back on with the Kaper supplied tool.
Hampton Roads VA
2016 174 Days camping, 2017 66 days 2018 24 days 2019 48 days 2020 25 days 2021 6
mogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 07:23 AM   #3

The supplied tool is just about worthless...I bought a socket (don't remember the size), extension, and breaker bar and leave it in the storage compartment I designated for roadside emergencies and repair tools and parts.
DarrenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 04:34 PM   #4

Thanks for the tips. A 1 1/8 inch socket and a breaker bar worked nicely. Needed about a 12 inch extension to reach the lug nuts on the back wheels. I loosened the nuts on all wheels and re-tightened them with just the Kaper supplied tool, so should be easier next time.

Now I can proceed with installing my TST 507 flow-thru sensors on the front wheels.
Old 07-02-2015, 07:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneT View Post
Thanks for the tips. A 1 1/8 inch socket and a breaker bar worked nicely. Needed about a 12 inch extension to reach the lug nuts on the back wheels. I loosened the nuts on all wheels and re-tightened them with just the Kaper supplied tool, so should be easier next time.

Now I can proceed with installing my TST 507 flow-thru sensors on the front wheels.
I was able to install my TST 507 flow thru sensors without removing anything from any of my wheels.
Please explain.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 09:14 PM   #6

Iggy, On the back wheels it was easy to screw the flow thru sensors on the existing valve stem extensions (though I am still debating whether to change out the inner flexible steel braided extensions to solid steel extensions).

The problem on the front wheels is that the position of the valve stem (no extensions on the front valve stems) and the opening in the wheel cover is such that there is no room to screw on the extension without removing the cover. With the wheel cover removed, the extension will screw on but then there is not quite enough clearance to fit the cover back on. I am currently debating whether to get a short 45 degree extension which would put the sensor outside of the opening, or just enlarging the opening in the wheel cover about half an inch to provide enough clearance without an extension.

I don't know but this might only be an issue with 19.5 inch wheels.
Old 07-03-2015, 07:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneT View Post

This oughta be on everyones PDI as the provided tool is worthless and if you really NEED to get those covers off on the road somewhere it is gonna come as a big surprise. What I die was get the Harbor Freight 1/2 inch torque wrench they always have on sales for around 12 bucks (lifetime warranty!) ...instead of a breaker bar since it comes in handy for other stuff...you definitely need the 12" extension along with the 1 1/8" socket.
Now I torque em to 50 lbs and all is well.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 05:00 AM   #8

I don't use the torque wrench but that is an excellent idea. If those lug nuts aren't on tight enough they can cause that wheel cover to make a clicking noise while driving. If they are too loose you have to worry about them coming off. On my old GT I had to use a washer under the lug nut because it would bottom out before it was tight enough to keep the wheel cover from making the noise.

Charleston SC
1 Boston Terrier, 1 Frenchie, Two Siamese
Gonna miss you Toby, Sage, and Izzie. RIP
cjd10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2014, cover, georgetown, wheel