Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2014, 12:45 PM   #1

Problems, Problems

We have a 2010 Georgetown motorhome that we purchased new. We have had NOTHING but trouble with it practically since we bought it. My question: Has anyone out there had trouble with the shocks/struts? My husband took ours in today to have aligned and was told that the one tire that was flat on one side was probably due to worn out shocks/struts - (There is only 15,000 miles on this motorhome). Has anyone ever had this problem before? We're really to the end of our rope with this thing. Seems like everytime we use it, something else goes wrong with it. Then you can't find anyone reliable to work on them. That's a whole other story! Any help would certainly be appreciated.
shunsinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 12:54 PM   #2

Can't help much but what you can do is look at the website RV Service Reviews and fill in the blanks. You may find a good service company near where you are. Sorry to read about your trouble
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 01:06 PM   #3

You unit is 4-5 years old with 15,000 miles on it I do not think it is abnormal at all.

As for the flat tire could be a bad valve stem/core, are these the original tires?

I have not heard of a bad shock causing a flat, I would like to know more about this if you know what the tire people said.
Old 06-13-2014, 01:21 PM   #4

"Flat on one side"? Does that mean that it did not wear evenly, or that the tire went flat? If it has more wear on the edges, that is an alignment problem. I have heard of several brand new coaches that required alignment. Some tires have been replaced under warranty because of this. I still haven't checked ours, but it's on the "to do list".

Don't give up. By now, I'm sure you've worked all of the bugs out. That is the nature of the RV beast. You have to be prepared for anything. I have a mini toolbox that includes common tools along with solder gun, DMM, epoxy, tire plugs, etc., etc.
Old 06-13-2014, 01:21 PM   #5

I think the OP was talking about flat spots or cupping on the tire inself
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 01:23 PM   #6

We've owned 3 large class A HM's over the past 15 years. When my best friend bought one and asked for some advice, I told him "stick a $1,000 bill in the corner of your wallet and at the end of a 2-3 month winter trip, if you have any of it left after repairs, consider yourself LUCKY".
Unfortunately, RV's are prone to have thing fail and they are not, as you well know, cheap to fix! Best of luck on whatever you decide to do.
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 01:24 PM   #7

BTW, has your DH changed the brake fluid? I believe it has to be changed every two years per warranty. Also, your tires probably have one or two years left before they should be replaced.
Old 06-13-2014, 01:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchleder View Post
We've owned 3 large class A HM's over the past 15 years. When my best friend bought one and asked for some advice, I told him "stick a $1,000 bill in the corner of your wallet and at the end of a 2-3 month winter trip, if you have any of it left after repairs, consider yourself LUCKY".
QFT!
Old 06-13-2014, 01:44 PM   #9
Mod free 5er

Had friends that bought a $300,000+ MH new, don't remember the brand, she said the 1st year, no problems, year 2 thru 4, she said every time they used it for a week or more it cost them $2,000+ in repairs of some sort and none crash related. 5th year they sold it and said "Good Riddance" and stay in motels for less money. BTW they had been campers for over 25 yrs.
Old 06-13-2014, 02:01 PM   #10
Plain Old Member

I can see how bad experiences would drive you out of it for sure. Fortunately we didn't start having any major problems until 2012. Ever since then, the last 3 have had numorous problems. It definitely wears on you, but I hadn't had enough of it to quit yet. I think the general consensus is the more you pay for it, the more it costs to maintain and repair it. This wasn't the reason we got out of the motorhomes, but it was a contributing factor.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 02:46 PM   #11
WDK

I guess the best investment you could have made was to pay for the extended warranty bumper to bumper....that's what we did and now just hoping for the best of times.

WDK
WDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 03:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by shunsinger View Post
We have a 2010 Georgetown motorhome that we purchased new. We have had NOTHING but trouble with it practically since we bought it. My question: Has anyone out there had trouble with the shocks/struts? My husband took ours in today to have aligned and was told that the one tire that was flat on one side was probably due to worn out shocks/struts - (There is only 15,000 miles on this motorhome). Has anyone ever had this problem before? We're really to the end of our rope with this thing. Seems like everytime we use it, something else goes wrong with it. Then you can't find anyone reliable to work on them. That's a whole other story! Any help would certainly be appreciated.
To answer your question, yes the shocks or struts (shock in your case) do wear and leak. They were good quality when outfitted by Ford but its the drivers job is to keep an eye on everything or have it done. When they begin to fail it allows the tire to bounce on every impact instead of absorb and keep the tire on the ground. Cupping is an ongoing process. I realize that doesn't help the overall process of reliability but you can help by noting the problems on the way and don't wait till its a big problem. Most RVers carry tools and always performing fixes. Like one said the worst is over for now but enjoy always!
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 04:32 PM   #13

I never would have imagined that owning an RV is exactly like owning a boat. Boats are holes in the water to pour money into. Rvs must be big boxes to burn money in. Same thing.
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 04:53 PM   #14
WDK

It would seem that you own one or the other, that or you stumbled onto this site by accident....yes, boats, RV's, houses, all money pits but that's what living is all about.
WDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 05:54 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDK View Post
It would seem that you own one or the other, that or you stumbled onto this site by accident....yes, boats, RV's, houses, all money pits but that's what living is all about.
Had a boat, and became the hole in the water. My RV is not so far.
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 06:05 PM   #16

We've had lots of boats and they haven't been holes in the water. Maintenance is more than the average car, but I do it all myself. The RV is a little more to run, but then again, you have an entire house on wheels.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:40 PM   #17

Motor Homes on the road are experiencing the equivalent of a major earthquake! Stuff happens!
Krazymace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:06 PM   #18

We did not buy a motohome to save money. Bought it to enjoy this great country we live in.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forest River Forums mobile app
gmann32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:47 PM   #19

YOLO
Gchcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 07:51 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazymace View Post
Motor Homes on the road are experiencing the equivalent of a major earthquake! Stuff happens!
LOL...a good way to look at it.