Old 07-18-2014, 09:49 PM   #1

Problems with cooling Dometic refrigerator/freezer

We recently purchased a 2011 Georgetown 337 XL DS (33') coach. Slowly, we're repairing all the things that need fixing. However, we're stumped by the Dometic refrigerator/freezer.

At night, when it's cooler outside, the refrigerator/freezer seems to cool down to where it should be. During the day, the temperature that displays on at the top of the front of the unit keeps rising well above where it should be. Today, the temperature indicator rose to almost 60 degrees.

There are two vents for the refrigerator/freezer unit on the full wall slideout. We had fans installed in both vent areas on the slideout.

I called Dometic today to ask about the problem. I got a "BS" answer from the support person.

We never had this type of problem when we owned a Winnebago. I'm beginning to believe that the Georgetown was not such a good buy.

Any ideas for solving the Dometic refrigerator/freezer problem? I would really appreciate your help and suggestions.

Rick Lillie
Palm Springs

Old 07-18-2014, 10:10 PM   #2

Well my first suggestion is that you install fans....but since you already did that....I would push your dealer or dometic to furinsh a replacement if possible, that is if you have a warranty. That is not an acceptable temp to hold food safely. There are groups that will do RV fridge repair. Search them out on line...I dont think its so much a coach builder as it is a equipment supplier problem. I have a Norcold unit in our trailer and I have a hard time keeping things from freezing on the top shelf. luck of the draw i guess.

Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 11:37 PM   #3

I have the same problem with my 2011 Georgetown 360. It cools to 34 during the evening, but continues to climb during the day. But my big problem is while driving more than a few hours. It will climb from 34 to 48, even if it is 70 degrees outside. My unit is also on the slide. I have installed a baffle to direct all the air flow over the cooling fins, but it doesn't help. Has anyone added anything that actually works?
Old 07-19-2014, 01:46 AM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

You need some quality ball bearing fans!
Old 07-21-2014, 09:27 PM   #5
Les

We had the same issue with our fridge in a slide. There was too much space between the fans/outside wall, so I cut rigid styrofoam and put it between the outside wall and the fans so that the fans move more air across the coil. It is much better but not perfect.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 07-21-2014, 10:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricklillie View Post
We recently purchased a 2011 Georgetown 337 XL DS (33') coach. Slowly, we're repairing all the things that need fixing. However, we're stumped by the Dometic refrigerator/freezer.

At night, when it's cooler outside, the refrigerator/freezer seems to cool down to where it should be. During the day, the temperature that displays on at the top of the front of the unit keeps rising well above where it should be. Today, the temperature indicator rose to almost 60 degrees.

There are two vents for the refrigerator/freezer unit on the full wall slideout. We had fans installed in both vent areas on the slideout.

I called Dometic today to ask about the problem. I got a "BS" answer from the support person.

We never had this type of problem when we owned a Winnebago. I'm beginning to believe that the Georgetown was not such a good buy.

Any ideas for solving the Dometic refrigerator/freezer problem? I would really appreciate your help and suggestions.

Rick Lillie
Palm Springs
For starters the fans should be together in parallel, not in series. The idea is to create flow, not pressure. You should be aware of the fans capacity, any old computer 4" fan won't do it, you need lots of volume capacity.

You don't need thermostatic auto control but you need a switch where convenient, to shut them off when cool outside.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:11 PM   #7

Have you seen this thread?

Dometic RV 4 door Refrigerator Fan MOD

ab&jb
Old 07-22-2014, 07:12 PM   #8

My friend had the same issue with his refridge. After doing several things and moving the thermistor around on the cooling fins he finally replaced the thermistor. That solved his problem.
Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Tags
dometic, refrigerator