Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2014, 07:11 PM   #1

Problems with in dash Clarion vx 401

Wondering how many other owners have experienced problems with the in dash audio system? Specifically, the clarion vx 401 installed in 2013 378 xl. Recently started having unit automatically switch itself from the surround sound (av in) mode to digital tuner mode and also does the same thing while in the camera mode. Sometimes will stay in other mode 5 minutes sometimes 30 seconds. My warranty expired three months ago and what a run around trying to get any info from Clarion. Their customer service is terrible!! If you have a problem beyond the 12 month point you can forget about any help from them. After being referred to United Radio Service (told this is who does all of clarion repairs) spoke with two people in two different cities in NC, then referred to one of their repair facilities in NY. Was told to send unit in for evaluation and there was a flat 175.00 charge for repair plus additional 14.00 return shipping fee. Said they would contact me for credit card payment after eval. Received call from repair facility today and secretary says technician can not duplicate the problem. Was unable to talk with technician as he had left for today. Said they would retest unit on Monday and get back with me. Important note, I googled this problem there are several complaints over the past couple of years with unit doing this but I have not found anyone who ever resolved this issue other than replacing the unit. I found a factory new unit on ebay for 210.00 and decided to order it today rather than take my chances of throwing money (190 total) at a repair facility that may or may not repair the unit before returning it. Would be interested in hearing from other members whom have experienced this problem and what if anything you have done to resolve this issue. I'm sure hoping my problem is a rare one and it does not repeat itself in the new unit again in 15 months.
wvphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 09:35 PM   #2

As you eluded to, you're not the only one with this issue. I also dealt with it too recently http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ues-65675.html Clarion Canada was very helpful, might be worth sending it to them if you don't get any results from your guys.
chill960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 11:24 AM   #3

I've been trying to help my Dad troubleshoot problems with his Clarion unit as well in his 2013 Georgetown, but have not had any luck. It switches modes all the time, DVDs often stop randomly and other random issues. Their front TV also only works in black and white when watching movies. When I checked into that it turns out they only ran a single cable for the component connection instead of all 3 needed for the blue/red/green connection. I'm very disapointed in the quality of the system considering the cost paid for the RV. Anyone have any luck replacing their unit?
sgettelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 03:40 PM   #4

I found out from a canadian clarion rep the problem is with a intermittent cable internal in the unit. I will copy the email from him as to what part is needed to repair the intermittent switching problem. You would probably need to take the unit to a repair shop to have the cable installed unless you have some electronic repair experience ie capability of soldering on circuit boards. Below is his the gentlemans email he sent to me along with his contact info of where to obtain the replacement part. I also have the replacement instructions i can provide if you decide to order the part and repair vs replacing the unit. Hope this helps you.

Hello Phil,

First, let me start by assuming you are in the US. It is not practical for you to send your VX401 to Canada to be repaired, I strongly recommend you use a local repair shop to fix the VX401.

The VX401 switching to Digital Tuner is a problem that we have seen a few times in the past. To correct the problem you need to change a part that has an intermittent failure. This part was used in both the VX400 and VX401. We sold thousands of these 2 models in Canada and have only seen a few with this problem. From our experience, the part you need to change is 3WZ2X01350401 and that should solve the problem. You can order it from PacParts if you are in the US and have your local repair shop install it. It does require disassembling the VX401 but it's not that complicated or difficult, just time consuming.

PacParts: Clarion 3WZ2X01350401
Clarion 3WZ2X01350401
SIRIUS_HD_CABLE - VX400

Regards,

Graham Lovell
Administrator, Service Department
Phone: 905.829.4600 X7012
Fax: 905.829.4634
E-mail: glovell@clarioncanada.com

<mime-attachment.gif>
Clarion Canada Inc.
2239 Winston Park Drive
Oakville, ON L6H 5R1
Old 07-25-2016, 05:06 PM   #5

Instructions

Thank you for the reply Phil, could you please post or send me the instruction?, email is skgettelman @ Hotmail com. Thank you!
sgettelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 08:03 AM   #6

I will attempt to email you the pdf file I have showing disassembly instructions. Please let me know if you do not receive and I'll try again.