Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-25-2011, 11:33 PM   #1

Propane

I was wanting to know if by chance if I would ever run out of propane while out dry camping in my motorhome but still had my 5 lb tank. Could I refill my motorhome or use the 5 lb tank to run my motorhome. Has anyone done it or is there any adaptors or hoseies to use.
texasgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 12:55 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Wish I could answer your question on adapters and such, but I can't. I can tell you that dry camping, eats a lot of propane. I'm not sure a 5 lb. tank will get you very far. No generator, no furnace, hot water, and cooking maybe a day, with the refer on propane.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 01:30 AM   #3

I'm not sure about using a 5 lb tank, but when I park my motorhome on my recreational property, I hook up a 100 gallon tank using a 'stay awhile' adapter in my propane line. You can probably buy it at most propane shops or RV shops such as camping world. It should work for the 5 lb tank as well. Good luck.
The Hankster
2007 Georgetown XL 359TS
Hankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 07:46 AM   #4

It's the age old question, "How long is a piece of string." It all depends on conditions for your propane use. If your sucking hard with your furnace and generator, not so long. If you have solar, the weather is warm and friendly, and your not baking bread and cookies every day, your run time with a 5 gal aux. tank is appreciably lengthened. Though I've never actually tested the length of use for my 5 gal aux, I would guess it to be a week or better.

I suggest you do a few "millage" tests on your current propane fixed tank and that will give you an idea of how much your consumption is in given circumstances.
Old 12-26-2011, 08:20 AM   #5

There was an aftermarket adaptor on the propane tank of our Coachmen Mirada class A when we bought it. And yes I carried a spare 5lb bottle in one of the storage compartments. You didn’t “fill” the coach tank but rather ran off the spare bottle & had to unhook when on the move.

Probably just going to take some leg work on the web to find it.
2011 Silverado 2500 4WD, LT, Ext Cab, LB
Duramax 6.6L V8 Turbo Diesel
Allison 1000 6-Speed Automatic Transmission
3 Happy Campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 07:15 PM   #6

Found the adaptor

Camco 59123 RV Propane Brass Tee with 4 Ports and Extension Hose

This adaptor allows you to hook up both a table top grill & or a spare 5 - 20 lb propane bottle if the MH tank runs out.

Amazon.com: Camco 59123 RV Propane Brass Tee with 4 Ports and Extension Hose: Automotive
2011 Silverado 2500 4WD, LT, Ext Cab, LB
Duramax 6.6L V8 Turbo Diesel
Allison 1000 6-Speed Automatic Transmission
3 Happy Campers is offline   Reply With Quote