Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2014, 10:35 PM   #1

Propane Alarm Issue

Here is my issue. In my 350TS parked at a 50amp site after traveling all day. Getting settled in and the alarm starts going off. Gas is off and not the issue. I've read through some of the other post and I know that low voltage will also cause this. Checked water levels in batteries and they seem good and less than 2 yrs old. Being on the road, I don't have a way of testing the batteries. My question is I'm plugged into power and I can't make this thing stop. I know cutting a wire will kill my propane, so I don't really want to do that. Any suggestions on killing this alarm?
powellmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 10:53 PM   #2

Do you plan on using the propane tonight?
Do you have an option for heat if needed?
Old 02-15-2014, 10:59 PM   #3

We always pack a small electric heater, just in case. So I do have the option of cutting tonight and repairing tomorrow. Was just hoping for other solutions.
Old 02-15-2014, 11:06 PM   #4

Just remove it and unplug or unscrew the wires, I do not know which one you have.

https://www.google.com/search?q=rv+p...w=1227&bih=641
Old 02-15-2014, 11:06 PM   #5

While trying to figure out a solution, I placed a small fan on the floor ne'er the detector and it has stopped alarming. This makes me think that it could be the batteries off gassing. Still strange that during our 6+ hours on the road today that it never went off, only after being hooked up to shore power for about an hour+.
Old 02-15-2014, 11:12 PM   #6

Normal air circulation while moving would prevent gas buildup.
You are now parked so you have less air circulation.

Would it be a problem to vent your battery box?
Old 02-15-2014, 11:17 PM   #7

Thanks Ford. I'll be investigating it further in the am. Now that's its quiet, time for bed. I'll be looking into venting and having the batteries checked.
Old 02-15-2014, 11:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by powellmj View Post
Thanks Ford. I'll be investigating it further in the am. Now that's its quiet, time for bed. I'll be looking into venting and having the batteries checked.
A 6 inch PC 12v fan perhaps with a switch to turn it off when moving.
Old 02-15-2014, 11:36 PM   #9

Find and repair the fumes source. That is what I would do and not to disconnect the detector as it designed to do exactly what it is doing. Telling it is sensing some gases in the area. Fan is good for now.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 12:57 PM   #10

mine did that and was only a yr old, had to replace the unit. For a quick fix you can disconnect the emergency shut off and use the propane as normal, until you have a new alarm install. They switch works of either a hot or ground, not sure which one thro. If you want to disconnect the auto switch its, next to the regulator, you and just take it from being inline. Again I would only do this if its an emergency and re-install once you have a new sensor/alarm installed.
&
Our Baby Dachshund
Cammie
ramair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 02:31 PM   #11

Mine did that once, when the seal around the steps came loose. Might check that.

FordIdaho: Unless things have changed, the 360's batteries are in an open rack under the steps, and the detector is just above the steps

I used to teach Electronic Technology at Idaho State in Poky!
1984 19.5' Beachcraft i/o 5.o liter, 4-bbl (and you thought your Moho sucked gas!)
D/W Carole and Maggie the Teacup Lab (Black Chihuahua)
Freds342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 04:50 PM   #12

My alarm would go off frequently after being on shore power a while. The battery compartment is under the steps and close to the sensor. With my coach if the coach power switch is in the on position while driving then the altenater charges the house batteries and they are at full charge when I plug in to shore power. The charger then keeps charging at too high a rate and that was boiling the batteries and setting off the alarm. I switched to sealed batteries and the alarm has not gone off since. Still need to upgrade the chager system to one that won't overcharge the house batteries while on shore power.
BillMFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:35 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillMFl View Post
My alarm would go off frequently after being on shore power a while. The battery compartment is under the steps and close to the sensor. With my coach if the coach power switch is in the on position while driving then the altenater charges the house batteries and they are at full charge when I plug in to shore power. The charger then keeps charging at too high a rate and that was boiling the batteries and setting off the alarm. I switched to sealed batteries and the alarm has not gone off since. Still need to upgrade the chager system to one that won't overcharge the house batteries while on shore power.

That seems to be the best match to my issue I've heard so far. Batteries checked out good and I put a little extra weatherstripping around the steps just to cover the bases. Four hour drive and no alarm. Parked on shore power and less than 30 mins later, alarm goes off. Switched off the coach power and after a full day, no alarm. Guess I need to look into sealed batteries and a better charger. Really appreciate the help,from everyone.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:44 AM   #14

I also have had the same problem, turning off the battery disconnect usually does the trick. Also a small fan pointing at the stairs will stop it. I have had the problem using the generator while overnighting in a truck stop. If I service the battery's it will take care of for a period of time.
Newellri is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane