Old 03-13-2010, 12:24 PM   #1

Propane Detector Mystery

I have a 2003 30' georgetown and wondering about my propane detector

It is a CCI Controls model

When I turn it on, nothing happens, no light comes on and no sounds. I checked the fuses I can find and they all seem fine.

In the propane tank area there are two wires with bare ends hanging just above the tank. These wires are not connected to anything. When I touch these two wires together an alarm sounds (high pitched squeel) from the detector area.

So perhaps they are supposed to be attached to something, although I can't see anything.

Does anyone have any insight to this situation?

Old 03-13-2010, 12:28 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjensen View Post
I have a 2003 30' georgetown and wondering about my propane detector

It is a CCI Controls model

When I turn it on, nothing happens, no light comes on and no sounds. I checked the fuses I can find and they all seem fine.

In the propane tank area there are two wires with bare ends hanging just above the tank. These wires are not connected to anything. When I touch these two wires together an alarm sounds (high pitched squeel) from the detector area.

So perhaps they are supposed to be attached to something, although I can't see anything.

Does anyone have any insight to this situation?
What has happened is that the CCI control module failed, when it does so it shuts a solenoid valve at the tank and stops the flow of propane. The previous owner rather than replace the electonic module, removed the solenoid from the tank (thus the hanging wires) and replaced it with a section of solid pipe.

CCI modules were notorius for failing. So bad so they have since gone out of business (from what I last saw). To repair you would need to buy a new LPG detector kit which would include the solenoid. Probably cost a bit over $200 I'm guessing.

Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 12:36 PM   #3

LP Gas Detector

Thank you for your reply.

I talked to the previous owner, and he said the detector worked fine. However, maybe he wasn't being truthful.

What you are saying makes sense though.

So I guess I can tell if there is no solenoid, however, I don't know what I am looking for.
Old 03-13-2010, 02:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjensen View Post
Thank you for your reply.

I talked to the previous owner, and he said the detector worked fine. However, maybe he wasn't being truthful.

What you are saying makes sense though.

So I guess I can tell if there is no solenoid, however, I don't know what I am looking for.
Doesn't matter because it isn't there is my guess. the solenoid valve is a box about 4 or 5" square that will be mounted on the pipe coming out of the propane tank. The wires hanging there should be connected to it but aren't because the LPG detector doesn't work. The previous owner is lying to you. I know because on our last RV ours failed as we were getting ready to head out for a week trip elk hunting in cold conditions. No time to order and get a new control module so I removed the solenoid valve and replaced with a section of pipe. The valve will not work unless it is connected to the control module. If the module fails the valve closes, thus you would have no propane for your apliances to work. Now it is possible that the solenoid vavle failed and the control module is still good and that is why he removed the valve, but I find it highly unlikely due to the poor reputation of the CCI units.

I think I may still have our old solenoid around from our other rig. It was working fine when removed. If you would like it to try out I can see if I can find it. PM me and give me an address and I will send it to you, I have no use for it.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 03:16 PM   #5

LP

Thank you for your generosity.

However we live in Alberta Canada, so I don't know if it is worth it to send it.