Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2017, 02:37 PM   #1

Propane Gauge Internal Lights not Accurate

The propane gauge on the tank itself appears to be working fine. It has gone down now to between 1/4 and 1/2. However the internal 4 "LEDs" started on 3/4 full, briefly went to 4/4 Full once on a fill up, but has never left 3 /4 full ever since. Anyone else have this problem? Where are the pick ups for the inside panel lights? Is there any similarity to how the water & dump tanks pickup work?
270S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 04:02 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270S View Post
The propane gauge on the tank itself appears to be working fine. It has gone down now to between 1/4 and 1/2. However the internal 4 "LEDs" started on 3/4 full, briefly went to 4/4 Full once on a fill up, but has never left 3 /4 full ever since. Anyone else have this problem? Where are the pick ups for the inside panel lights? Is there any similarity to how the water & dump tanks pickup work?
Yup, same happened to me in October. Said I had 3/4 tank remaining. The whole 3 weeks. I thought that a little odd, but when I checked the tank gauge, it was only 1/4 tank left. Really no similarity to holding tanks.
Schvarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 07:00 PM   #3

Where, How are the tank capacity pickups?
From the pressure gauge or somewhere else?
270S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 07:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270S View Post
Where, How are the tank capacity pickups?
From the pressure gauge or somewhere else?
That's well beyond my knowledge! All i know is the gauge was correct and the interior system was not.
Old 12-06-2017, 01:31 PM   #5

I am having the same issue on my 17 Rev 24C. I checked wiring connections, etc, found no issue there. Unfortunately on mine, the tank is mounted under the coach and the gauge is only visible if I crawl under to look. Hope some guru on the forum has a solution.
droadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 01:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schvarak View Post
Yup, same happened to me in October. Said I had 3/4 tank remaining. The whole 3 weeks. I thought that a little odd, but when I checked the tank gauge, it was only 1/4 tank left. Really no similarity to holding tanks.
My LEDs show 3/4 since last spring. I was not sure if the RV sipped propane or the gauge is amiss.

Now I have the incentive to top it off.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 01:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by droadrunner View Post
I am having the same issue on my 17 Rev 24C. I checked wiring connections, etc, found no issue there. Unfortunately on mine, the tank is mounted under the coach and the gauge is only visible if I crawl under to look. Hope some guru on the forum has a solution.
Mine's in a compartment, easily accessible.
Old 12-06-2017, 01:41 PM   #8

I ordered the Mopeka dual tank propane system with the monitor. It should be here by the weekend. What I've read looks pretty good. I also got a pair of Tank Tires to keep the tanks up off the platform.

Mopeka Products, LLC – Mopeka Tank Check Sensor
Past: 2018 Flagstaff MicroLite 21FBRS
Past: 2005 Flagstaff Classic 625D
TV: 2016 Ford F-150 3.5 EcoBoost
marinerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 02:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinerjoe View Post
I ordered the Mopeka dual tank propane system with the monitor. It should be here by the weekend. What I've read looks pretty good. I also got a pair of Tank Tires to keep the tanks up off the platform.

Mopeka Products, LLC – Mopeka Tank Check Sensor
Wondering what a tank tire is?[emoji16]
Old 12-06-2017, 02:28 PM   #10

Very interesting! I will look forward to a "user" report.
Thanks
droadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 04:04 PM   #11
Site Team

For horizontal motorhome tanks, the level sensor is built into the level gauge on the tank. The gauge is sealed from the level float in the tank, so it can be removed without affecting the tank.

If the gauge is reading correctly, but the remote indicator is reading wrong it's probably the remote unit is out of calibration. It could be a bad sending unit, but that's unlikely.

I'm not sure how to calibrate the remote indicator you have, but the mfg. should be able to give you the instructions on how to do it.
Old 12-06-2017, 04:22 PM   #12

If you are using the Mopeka dual tank propane system with the provided monitor it is set up for 20 LB tanks. It will show full for a long time if you have it attached to a 30 or 40 LB tank because it is looking for a 20 LB tank.

If you are using the smart phone app with blue tooth you will need to connect and set the tank size and low level alarm. Now the phone will show the right tank volume but the remote that came from tank check will not. The provided monitor still is set for 20 LB it is a dumb remote and can not be calibrated.

I really like this product It works as advertised with the blue tooth on a smart phone.

Hope this helps Tim
TimVWulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 04:51 PM   #13

Final important question, just what is a tank tire?
Old 12-06-2017, 06:55 PM   #14

This is a tank tire fits on the bottom of your propane tank

https://www.amazon.com/gp/slredirect...getName=sp_atf

Tim
Old 12-06-2017, 07:15 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimVWulp View Post
This is a tank tire fits on the bottom of your propane tank

https://www.amazon.com/gp/slredirect...getName=sp_atf

Tim
The mystery is all over! I don't know how I went 8 years of TT rving without using two of them on my dual tank system. Or for that matter 50 years of propane grill cooking. Seriously, thanks for the answer!!
Old 12-06-2017, 07:40 PM   #16
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schvarak View Post
The mystery is all over! I don't know how I went 8 years of TT rving without using two of them on my dual tank system. Or for that matter 50 years of propane grill cooking. Seriously, thanks for the answer!!
Don't feel bad. I was wondering the same thing. To me it looks like something from the good idea fairy. I can find better things to spend $50 on.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 09:55 PM   #17

My LP tank and battery indicator light at the control panel has never show correct level even the RV was bought new and have only 8,000 miles on the odometer.

Before my trip, I always fill up my tank since the LP dealer is right on my way out from my subdivision, this way, I would never have to worry about my LP for the trip. During my trip, once in a while, I just check the tank pressure gauge to make sure that I have enough for the rest of the trip. For me, I would only need about 1/2 to 3/4 of the LP tank for a 2.5 months trip. This is better than relying on the indicator panel.
tamdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 12:49 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delco Bobby View Post
My LEDs show 3/4 since last spring. I was not sure if the RV sipped propane or the gauge is amiss.

Now I have the incentive to top it off.

Had my listed as 12.2 gallon tank filled today. It took 7 gallons. LED was still showing 3/4 full.

LED now indicates I have a full tank.

BTW, cost almost $28.00 in Philadelphia suburb.

Old 12-23-2017, 03:10 AM   #19

I have used this product for about 1 year. Just replaced the battery in the tank sensors. This system works very good with a smart phone blue tooth app. You will need to setup the app to the tank size you have and set an alarm for how low you are comfortable with. The wall mount monitor works well also but is calibrated for 20 LB tanks only and can not be calabraded to match an other take sizes. The wall mount monitor will read full with 30 - 40 LB tank until the propane level falls below a full 20 LB tank level.

I really like this product and works as advertised with a smart phone app.

Hope this helps Tim
Old 12-23-2017, 09:36 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimVWulp View Post

I have used this product for about 1 year. Just replaced the battery in the tank sensors. This system works very good with a smart phone blue tooth app. You will need to setup the app to the tank size you have and set an alarm for how low you are comfortable with. The wall mount monitor works well also but is calibrated for 20 LB tanks only and can not be calabraded to match an other take sizes. The wall mount monitor will read full with 30 - 40 LB tank until the propane level falls below a full 20 LB tank level.

I really like this product and works as advertised with a smart phone app.

Hope this helps Tim
Thanks for the suggestion.

Tags
light, propane