Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2014, 09:22 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
cjd10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 481
Propane Heater Issue

Seems to be working now but thought I would post if anyone else should run into this.
Heater has worked fine since we picked up coach in September. Been at the beach for last few days with no issues. I use an oil filled portable most of the time and turn the propane heater on in the morning to warm up a little more. This morning however the heater would run but no warm air. Turned on and off several times and could hear the clicking as if it were trying to fire up but still no luck. Propane level on display shows 2/3 full and gauge on tank itself a little over 1/2. Stove and water heater worked fine. As last resort turned valve on tank off for a few seconds then slowly turned back on. Noticed when I turned it back on that it had only been turned on about halfway. Opened valve all the way, went back in and heater fired up fine. Not sure if not enough pressure as the tank ran lower on propane or what but heater seems to be working fine now.
Just thought I would post if anyone has any thoughts or has seen this before. Crossing my fingers that issue is resolved.
__________________

__________________
2014 Georgetown 351DS

Charleston SC
3 Boston Terriers, 1 Frenchie
Gonna miss you Toby. RIP
cjd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:46 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
cjd10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 481
Hmmm.... Scratch all the above. Heater back to no heat. Any suggestions?
__________________

__________________
2014 Georgetown 351DS

Charleston SC
3 Boston Terriers, 1 Frenchie
Gonna miss you Toby. RIP
cjd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:26 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
LKicklight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: CHATSWORTH, GA.
Posts: 1,121
Electric Hot Water Heater

Does your coach not have an electric hot water heater, thought for sure it would have one. Sure is a great propane saver, we have used the hot water heater sparingly on gas sparingly.


Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd10 View Post
Seems to be working now but thought I would post if anyone else should run into this.
Heater has worked fine since we picked up coach in September. Been at the beach for last few days with no issues. I use an oil filled portable most of the time and turn the propane heater on in the morning to warm up a little more. This morning however the heater would run but no warm air. Turned on and off several times and could hear the clicking as if it were trying to fire up but still no luck. Propane level on display shows 2/3 full and gauge on tank itself a little over 1/2. Stove and water heater worked fine. As last resort turned valve on tank off for a few seconds then slowly turned back on. Noticed when I turned it back on that it had only been turned on about halfway. Opened valve all the way, went back in and heater fired up fine. Not sure if not enough pressure as the tank ran lower on propane or what but heater seems to be working fine now.
Just thought I would post if anyone has any thoughts or has seen this before. Crossing my fingers that issue is resolved.
__________________
2500HD 6.0 Gas/Ext. Cab
2011 Crusader 270RET
2003 Sunnybrook T/T 30FIS
2012 Jeep Compass Limited
1985 S-10 One Owner:
LKicklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:28 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
cjd10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 481
Yes our water heater will work off electric also but the CG we are staying in only has 30 amp service. Trying not to pull any more current than necessary since I have the electric heater and refridgerator running. I do like having the electric feature when I am connected to 50 amp service so I can conserve the propane.
__________________
2014 Georgetown 351DS

Charleston SC
3 Boston Terriers, 1 Frenchie
Gonna miss you Toby. RIP
cjd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 12:48 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Gahanna, OH
Posts: 1,414
How you fired up the stove to see if there is air in the lines? It sounds like your furnace is not getting propane.
__________________
2014 Georgetown 351DS
-TruCenter -Front/Rear CHF -Hellwig Links -Tiger Trak -Ran McNally GPS -ScanGauge -Truck Systems TPMS -5 Star Tune
alparmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 01:54 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 5
Main Tank Regulator

I had a similar problem with my George Town Forest River 28' Motorhome and Brazel's RV in Centralia finally figured it out and replaced the Main Tank Regulator which so far has fixed the problem. It was puzzling because everything else worked but the furnace wouldn't light up. I hope this helps.
__________________
Ed Sorger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 05:46 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
LKicklight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: CHATSWORTH, GA.
Posts: 1,121
Amps

Good to know you have the electric as well as the gas. We have become so use to the amp usage we just kind of skirt around it and hope for the best. We run an electric fireplace heater also, plus the hot water heater and the furnace of course. Take Care



Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd10 View Post
Yes our water heater will work off electric also but the CG we are staying in only has 30 amp service. Trying not to pull any more current than necessary since I have the electric heater and refridgerator running. I do like having the electric feature when I am connected to 50 amp service so I can conserve the propane.
__________________
2500HD 6.0 Gas/Ext. Cab
2011 Crusader 270RET
2003 Sunnybrook T/T 30FIS
2012 Jeep Compass Limited
1985 S-10 One Owner:
LKicklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:34 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
cjd10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Sorger View Post
I had a similar problem with my George Town Forest River 28' Motorhome and Brazel's RV in Centralia finally figured it out and replaced the Main Tank Regulator which so far has fixed the problem. It was puzzling because everything else worked but the furnace wouldn't light up. I hope this helps.
Beginning to suspect the regulator.
Returned home today and after unloading tried again. Checked everything again that runs on propane and they all work fine except the furnace. I did manage to get heat twice this morning after turning tank valve off then on but it would only run for five minutes or so before shutting down as if it wasn't getting enough gas. I have an appt in late February for some other work. Guess I'll add it to the list unless dealer can recommend a fix over the phone tomorrow. I will repost when a fix is found.
__________________
2014 Georgetown 351DS

Charleston SC
3 Boston Terriers, 1 Frenchie
Gonna miss you Toby. RIP
cjd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:06 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Dijoeboss's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 376
We bought new 350 in February last year and have we are on the 3rd regulator at the propane tank already, I now carry a spare with me! First one failed after filling the tank for the first time, and the next one went to leaking. ( when the first one failed, I couldn't get any propane appliances to work).
__________________
Dijoeboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:44 AM   #10
Member
 
undr60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 32
I doubt it is the regulator if everything else works on propane. My guess would be the furnace thermocouple.
__________________

__________________
undr60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
heater, propane

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:50 PM.