Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2014, 09:22 AM   #1

Propane Heater Issue

Seems to be working now but thought I would post if anyone else should run into this.
Heater has worked fine since we picked up coach in September. Been at the beach for last few days with no issues. I use an oil filled portable most of the time and turn the propane heater on in the morning to warm up a little more. This morning however the heater would run but no warm air. Turned on and off several times and could hear the clicking as if it were trying to fire up but still no luck. Propane level on display shows 2/3 full and gauge on tank itself a little over 1/2. Stove and water heater worked fine. As last resort turned valve on tank off for a few seconds then slowly turned back on. Noticed when I turned it back on that it had only been turned on about halfway. Opened valve all the way, went back in and heater fired up fine. Not sure if not enough pressure as the tank ran lower on propane or what but heater seems to be working fine now.
Just thought I would post if anyone has any thoughts or has seen this before. Crossing my fingers that issue is resolved.

Charleston SC
1 Boston Terrier, 1 Frenchie, Two Siamese
Gonna miss you Toby, Sage, and Izzie. RIP
cjd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:46 AM   #2

Hmmm.... Scratch all the above. Heater back to no heat. Any suggestions?

Charleston SC
Old 01-20-2014, 10:26 AM   #3

Electric Hot Water Heater

Does your coach not have an electric hot water heater, thought for sure it would have one. Sure is a great propane saver, we have used the hot water heater sparingly on gas sparingly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd10 View Post
Seems to be working now but thought I would post if anyone else should run into this.
Heater has worked fine since we picked up coach in September. Been at the beach for last few days with no issues. I use an oil filled portable most of the time and turn the propane heater on in the morning to warm up a little more. This morning however the heater would run but no warm air. Turned on and off several times and could hear the clicking as if it were trying to fire up but still no luck. Propane level on display shows 2/3 full and gauge on tank itself a little over 1/2. Stove and water heater worked fine. As last resort turned valve on tank off for a few seconds then slowly turned back on. Noticed when I turned it back on that it had only been turned on about halfway. Opened valve all the way, went back in and heater fired up fine. Not sure if not enough pressure as the tank ran lower on propane or what but heater seems to be working fine now.
Just thought I would post if anyone has any thoughts or has seen this before. Crossing my fingers that issue is resolved.
2012 Jeep Compass Limited
1985 S-10 One Owner:
LKicklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:28 AM   #4

Yes our water heater will work off electric also but the CG we are staying in only has 30 amp service. Trying not to pull any more current than necessary since I have the electric heater and refridgerator running. I do like having the electric feature when I am connected to 50 amp service so I can conserve the propane.

Charleston SC
Old 01-20-2014, 12:48 PM   #5

How you fired up the stove to see if there is air in the lines? It sounds like your furnace is not getting propane.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:54 PM   #6

Main Tank Regulator

I had a similar problem with my George Town Forest River 28' Motorhome and Brazel's RV in Centralia finally figured it out and replaced the Main Tank Regulator which so far has fixed the problem. It was puzzling because everything else worked but the furnace wouldn't light up. I hope this helps.
Ed Sorger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 05:46 PM   #7

Amps

Good to know you have the electric as well as the gas. We have become so use to the amp usage we just kind of skirt around it and hope for the best. We run an electric fireplace heater also, plus the hot water heater and the furnace of course. Take Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd10 View Post
Yes our water heater will work off electric also but the CG we are staying in only has 30 amp service. Trying not to pull any more current than necessary since I have the electric heater and refridgerator running. I do like having the electric feature when I am connected to 50 amp service so I can conserve the propane.
2012 Jeep Compass Limited
1985 S-10 One Owner:
LKicklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Sorger View Post
I had a similar problem with my George Town Forest River 28' Motorhome and Brazel's RV in Centralia finally figured it out and replaced the Main Tank Regulator which so far has fixed the problem. It was puzzling because everything else worked but the furnace wouldn't light up. I hope this helps.
Beginning to suspect the regulator.
Returned home today and after unloading tried again. Checked everything again that runs on propane and they all work fine except the furnace. I did manage to get heat twice this morning after turning tank valve off then on but it would only run for five minutes or so before shutting down as if it wasn't getting enough gas. I have an appt in late February for some other work. Guess I'll add it to the list unless dealer can recommend a fix over the phone tomorrow. I will repost when a fix is found.

Charleston SC
Old 01-21-2014, 08:06 AM   #9

We bought new 350 in February last year and have we are on the 3rd regulator at the propane tank already, I now carry a spare with me! First one failed after filling the tank for the first time, and the next one went to leaking. ( when the first one failed, I couldn't get any propane appliances to work).
Dijoeboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:44 AM   #10

I doubt it is the regulator if everything else works on propane. My guess would be the furnace thermocouple.
undr60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, propane