Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2012, 08:55 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Lund
Posts: 156
Propane Shut Off Valve Temp

Anyone with a newer model Georgetown ever stuck their finger on their propane shutoff valve (just downstream of the pressure regulator by the main tank connection)?

It appears this remains on at all times and then fails to off(closed) if the LP detector alarms or is without power. I'm trying to understand what "normal" temp is for these puppies. Mine is so hot I can only keep my finger on it for a second or two.

I guess this design also means that if your coach batteries go dead you loose the capability to use any propane.

I found this when looking for a point to install a low pressure quick disconnect for my bbq. I also found that my main propane tank fitting was only finger tight, kinda woulda thought that would be on the manufacturer/dealer inspection list......and I've been using it for almost 2 months......glad I don't smoke.....
__________________

__________________
SinkorSwim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:06 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
tncruiser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: east tn.
Posts: 416
it must have been tight enough not to leak (yet) as the detector did not shut it down,good catch on your part. i plan on installing an of on switch to my detector
when i open the circuit it will close my propane tank allowing me to safely fuel up
and no need to turn the vale for storage
brianj
__________________

__________________
liven life in east TN and wherever my
2011georgetown280ve, and
2016 fordexplorer and hemi RAM
take us
tncruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 01:01 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
jsutherl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 312
My LP shut off solenoid is also warm when it's been on for a while. It's got a plastic cover over it. The plastic cover is warm but not hot to the touch last time I checked.

And I agree, from what I understand it's a normally closed solenoid valve. So if power is lost (batteries go dead) it fails to the off position. Also in my coach it's wired directly to the house batteries. So if you turn off the whole-house 12v cutoff it doesn't cut this off So if you forget and leave it on it'll drain your batteries.

My entry steps are also wired directly to the batteries.
__________________
2008 Georgetown SE 350DS BunkHouse
jsutherl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 01:18 PM   #4
Tim & Lisa Trempert
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 439
It is normal for it to be so hot you can't keep your finger on it. It is one of the reasons you always want to disconnect your battery using the battery disconnect switch when you are not using your RV. It will drain your battery dead in just a few days.
__________________
Tim & Lisa
2011 Georgetown 350
Trempert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 03:51 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
abjb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trempert View Post
It is normal for it to be so hot you can't keep your finger on it. It is one of the reasons you always want to disconnect your battery using the battery disconnect switch when you are not using your RV. It will drain your battery dead in just a few days.
Yep itís NORMAL, very hot all the time.

But it isnít normal for the connection to the tank to be finger tight.
Tested OK two times by the dealer and once by me, then I shook the hose and propane squirted out. Thatís where the 2/3 of tank went on the first short trip, down a rough rd.

VERY very red faced dealer!

ab
__________________
2012 Georgetown 360
SHE wanted "a new motorhome"
abjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 05:12 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Lund
Posts: 156
Thanks all, nice to know it's temperature is a "feature" not a bug.

Surprisingly enough my battery disconnect switch also powers down my LP/CO detector. The dealer was even surprised by this. I will double check that it also isolates the propane valve.

One sunny day I'll disconnect the lead from the battery and put a meter inline to veryify I have zero DC draw with the battery disconnect switch set up the way it is. It's still a little chilly and wet in coastal BC for "optional" maintenance activities yet.
__________________
SinkorSwim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:33 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
BCRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 28
Just wondering if you resolved your issue with the warm/hot safety valve. My Georgetown MH has a hot valve as well and I'm curious if this is an issue.

What prompted me to explore and find the hot valve was I have been having trouble with battery life when dry camping. I assume that a hot valve means that its drawing power which would be an unwanted drain on my batteries.

Thanks
Doug
__________________
Doug and Sharon
2010 Georgetown 300FWS
Jeep Wrangler Toad
VTX 1800 Scooter
BCRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:11 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
abjb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCRider View Post
Just wondering if you resolved your issue with the warm/hot safety valve. My Georgetown MH has a hot valve as well and I'm curious if this is an issue.

What prompted me to explore and find the hot valve was I have been having trouble with battery life when dry camping. I assume that a hot valve means that its drawing power which would be an unwanted drain on my batteries.

Thanks
Doug
The valve is normally closed.
THEREFORE it must have 12V holding it open.

LAWYERS so far weíve found 2 things we could live without.

1. The steps always open, makes it kind of hard to get out when legally parked (less than 18Ē from the curb).

2. The propane valve is TOO HOT TO TOUCH, scarrrry!

ab
__________________
2012 Georgetown 360
SHE wanted "a new motorhome"
abjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:01 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Lund
Posts: 156
Yep cutoff solenoid too hot to touch is normal.

Have you tried switching all your lights to LEDs for extended dry camping battery life?

Bypassing step auto out is easy with a small bar magnet or slightly harder wiring in a switch. Postings for how to do both in this forum. We just use a magnet.
__________________
SinkorSwim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:21 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
BCRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 28
No I haven't tried the LEDs yet but sounds like a reasonable idea. Whats the issue with the auto step? We have a switch by the front door that keeps it out all the time. I will search the forum...thanks
__________________

__________________
Doug and Sharon
2010 Georgetown 300FWS
Jeep Wrangler Toad
VTX 1800 Scooter
BCRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:38 AM.