Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2012, 07:55 AM   #1

Propane Shut Off Valve Temp

Anyone with a newer model Georgetown ever stuck their finger on their propane shutoff valve (just downstream of the pressure regulator by the main tank connection)?

It appears this remains on at all times and then fails to off(closed) if the LP detector alarms or is without power. I'm trying to understand what "normal" temp is for these puppies. Mine is so hot I can only keep my finger on it for a second or two.

I guess this design also means that if your coach batteries go dead you loose the capability to use any propane.

I found this when looking for a point to install a low pressure quick disconnect for my bbq. I also found that my main propane tank fitting was only finger tight, kinda woulda thought that would be on the manufacturer/dealer inspection list......and I've been using it for almost 2 months......glad I don't smoke.....
SinkorSwim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:06 AM   #2

it must have been tight enough not to leak (yet) as the detector did not shut it down,good catch on your part. i plan on installing an of on switch to my detector
when i open the circuit it will close my propane tank allowing me to safely fuel up
and no need to turn the vale for storage
brianj
take us
tncruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 12:01 PM   #3

My LP shut off solenoid is also warm when it's been on for a while. It's got a plastic cover over it. The plastic cover is warm but not hot to the touch last time I checked.

And I agree, from what I understand it's a normally closed solenoid valve. So if power is lost (batteries go dead) it fails to the off position. Also in my coach it's wired directly to the house batteries. So if you turn off the whole-house 12v cutoff it doesn't cut this off So if you forget and leave it on it'll drain your batteries.

My entry steps are also wired directly to the batteries.
Old 03-18-2012, 12:18 PM   #4
Tim & Lisa Trempert

It is normal for it to be so hot you can't keep your finger on it. It is one of the reasons you always want to disconnect your battery using the battery disconnect switch when you are not using your RV. It will drain your battery dead in just a few days.
Old 03-18-2012, 02:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trempert View Post
It is normal for it to be so hot you can't keep your finger on it. It is one of the reasons you always want to disconnect your battery using the battery disconnect switch when you are not using your RV. It will drain your battery dead in just a few days.
Yep it’s NORMAL, very hot all the time.

But it isn’t normal for the connection to the tank to be finger tight.
Tested OK two times by the dealer and once by me, then I shook the hose and propane squirted out. That’s where the 2/3 of tank went on the first short trip, down a rough rd.

VERY very red faced dealer!

ab
Old 03-18-2012, 04:12 PM   #6

Thanks all, nice to know it's temperature is a "feature" not a bug.

Surprisingly enough my battery disconnect switch also powers down my LP/CO detector. The dealer was even surprised by this. I will double check that it also isolates the propane valve.

One sunny day I'll disconnect the lead from the battery and put a meter inline to veryify I have zero DC draw with the battery disconnect switch set up the way it is. It's still a little chilly and wet in coastal BC for "optional" maintenance activities yet.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:33 PM   #7

Just wondering if you resolved your issue with the warm/hot safety valve. My Georgetown MH has a hot valve as well and I'm curious if this is an issue.

What prompted me to explore and find the hot valve was I have been having trouble with battery life when dry camping. I assume that a hot valve means that its drawing power which would be an unwanted drain on my batteries.

Thanks
Doug
VTX 1800 Scooter
BCRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:11 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCRider View Post
Just wondering if you resolved your issue with the warm/hot safety valve. My Georgetown MH has a hot valve as well and I'm curious if this is an issue.

What prompted me to explore and find the hot valve was I have been having trouble with battery life when dry camping. I assume that a hot valve means that its drawing power which would be an unwanted drain on my batteries.

Thanks
Doug
The valve is normally closed.
THEREFORE it must have 12V holding it open.

LAWYERS so far we’ve found 2 things we could live without.

1. The steps always open, makes it kind of hard to get out when legally parked (less than 18” from the curb).

2. The propane valve is TOO HOT TO TOUCH, scarrrry!

ab
Old 05-23-2012, 04:01 AM   #9

Yep cutoff solenoid too hot to touch is normal.

Have you tried switching all your lights to LEDs for extended dry camping battery life?

Bypassing step auto out is easy with a small bar magnet or slightly harder wiring in a switch. Postings for how to do both in this forum. We just use a magnet.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:21 PM   #10

No I haven't tried the LEDs yet but sounds like a reasonable idea. Whats the issue with the auto step? We have a switch by the front door that keeps it out all the time. I will search the forum...thanks
VTX 1800 Scooter
Old 05-23-2012, 07:37 PM   #11

Lots of posts on led lights, we love ours most due to no heat, the temp of the halogens in those small holders scared me as after a few hours of use they had already burnt all the reflective coating off the backs of the holders.

Issue with door is that situationally you may need it NOT to open when you open the door, our example is tightly packed ferries. There are ways to bypass the auto open feature with magnets or a hard wired switch.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:42 PM   #12

Hey Ian...I did some looking around on the internet and thought you might get some insight into the hot switch issue that started this thread.

Here is the link...

RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Propane safety shut-off valve
VTX 1800 Scooter
Old 05-26-2012, 06:55 PM   #13

You are not the only one, had my unit a year and coming back from run up north, noticed my propane was dropping fast. Stopped at Flying J in PA and you could hear the gas seeping our. I guess they can work loose, will have to be extra carefull from now on.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:27 PM   #14

Just today, Monday, checked the LP gas solenoid with a IR therm. In the breeze it measured 150, calm air its 180F. It absolutely shuts off with the battery disconnect so is not a parasite while the coach is laid up, but pretty good load while dry camping.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:52 PM   #15

Not sure whata everyone is worried about.
1. Do you not understand the purpose of this valve being energized?
2. It is a safety device that will disconect power via the propane detector and shut down so you do not have a massive explosion.
3. If you are considering removing it I wouldn't.

This valve has a large strong string it so when de-energized it will close and seal the tank from any explosion. The 12 volt DC coil has to compensate and pull of the spring to keep the valve open. This naturally causes heat which is normal. No need to worry because it is surrrounded by lots of air and willnot catch fire. The only way this could fail if the coil gets an open which would shut the valve or if the coil insulation breaks down and shorts some of the windings in which case will blow the inline fuse and the valve will close.

If you do not use propane then just test/trip the propane detector and it will de-energizethe coil and close the valve. When you want to use propane just push the reset on the propane detector.

Any questions?
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote