Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2019, 07:36 PM   #41

Lightbulb To toad or not to toad! That is the question

22000 miles and have never towed. When we feel the need, we find Enterprise to be quite convenient and very reasonable (and they p/u). I know for everyone that doesn't ,there are others that will. The only thing I tow is my trailer with RZR. Works for me
ronncda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 09:32 PM   #42

45000 Miles in 4 years no tow. At 28 foot we can drive to a lot of places but if we stay for a period we rent and Enterprise picks us up. In DC we used public transportation but in St Augustine we rented. We have been to all but 4 states and it works for us. We like simple but we have moments we wish we towed. Everyone is different and what works for on does not work for all.
KNMIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 09:39 PM   #43

We've had a 31' Class C and it is very driveable in cities, choose parking and entrance and exits carefully, and a lot bigger Class A' s get around well too with the same caveats.
Convienence is a big plus when towing. We have always rented at our destinations when we had a reason to do so. But there are some more remote areas where the nearest rental location can be many miles away. So, planning is key.
In Rapid City this year my rental car, KIA Sorento, was $100/day including extra insurance (wildlife) and taxes and fees. The $50 /day rental car is elusive, possible from a tier 2 rental outfit (had a nice Crown Vic in Branson 7-8 years ago like that).
When calculating your rental costs I would use $100/day, it's more real.
We still don't have a toad after 13 years of Rving, but I could see it as something I may do. Both our cars can be flat towed but I am not crazy about the idea of trimming the front fascias for the base plates on a $50K car.
There are cons to pulling a toad, I don't want to rain on anyone's parade though.
ChrisParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 04:30 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
We took 2 trips in the class a before going to Ford and buying a new F150 4x4 to use as a toad. Total setup was $3500. After 2 years decided the best way to go was back to a 43’ 5th and F350.
I have been tempted to go Class A a few times, but then when I read this thread I am satisfied with my Montana 5er and my diesel truck. What really seals the deal for me is that I have my truck for daily driving when not camping and for those times when I need a truck.

Should I ever decide on a diesel pusher (Class A) knowing my wife I do think I would opt for a toad. Being able to go into town is a great convenience when camping, plus a small car gives you the freedom to see whatever attractions your destination has to offer. Isn't that what hitting the road is all about - seeing the sights?
MOODMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 07:06 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLdr1 View Post
We tried both ways when we had a Class C motor home. Looking back we've both decided it was smarter for us to rent a car from Enterprise. If we go back to a motor home it will be a small Class C, Ford Transit or Sprinter based, and we will not have a toad.

If you win I have a lightly used Blue Ox system, the tow bar, Patriot Braking system, and rock shield sitting in my garage I need to sell...
Send me your email and info for the Blue Ox to: larry.pennington@roadrunner.com
Penary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 09:26 PM   #46

I looked at it a little different. I found a used 2003 Jeep Liberty for 3,000.00 with the 2,000.00 (approx) for the Blue Ox setup, it is paid in full. If I rented, there would be additional cost on the trips. I upgraded to a 2007 Liberty. Still full paid.

I find it works for me. My two cents is to find something to pull 4 wheel down. I can unhook the toad in about two min.
Tax_Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad