Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2016, 05:00 PM   #1

Pull out couch bed

Is it just my unit or do all the units have horrible pull out beds. Ours is absolute junk. I wouldn't let a dog sleep on it. PETA would be after us for cruelty to animals.

It is uneven, folds up like a hammock when you sit on the bed. You can feel the couch pushing through to your spine and ribs. The middle legs are 2 inches off the floor when you get it open and level, that is why it folds up when you sit down on it. The full width support bracket at the end is also too short. I have a 60" 2x4 under that to get the thing semi level.

I don't know if the previous owners had 2 400 lbs guests sleeping on it for a lengthy period of time or what.
JohnnyMeteor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 08:41 PM   #2

They are all notoriously bad, Seinfeld even had an episode about it. There is only one solution, which I plan to get soon.
Modmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 09:44 PM   #3
RJJ

Pull out couch bed

I do a combo set up. I put wood under the end and legs to level, then use an Air Dream mattress. It is similar to the one Modmike referenced, but no integrated hand control. It's air over coil and inflates in about 30 seconds. It's quite comfortable, but it would have been nice to have had a decent sofa bed in the motorhome when it was built.

2015 Georgetown 329DS
2014 Chevy Equinox
RJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 06:54 AM   #4

I think both of you have the correct idea. Air mattress of some sort.

It seems to me that someone at FR never gave any thought to the fact that the couch would be sitting on the slide out, and be 2 inches above the stationary floor. You open the thing up and lo and behold the legs are 2 inches short of the floor.

I'm thinking of going with 2x4 pieces under the legs and then 3 pieces of 1/2 inch ply wood in the folding sections of the frame. The frame being 1/2 inch channel should work nicely with the plywood.

Then top it off with an air mattress.

Or, and wife hates this idea, a small tent and a couple of sleeping bags for the quests. Or directions to the nearest motel.
JohnnyMeteor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 10:19 AM   #5

My First Georgetown came with an air mattress for the sofa bed...after replacing 3 mattresses I went with a foam mattress. the Air Mattresses don't seem to hold up and develop small pin holes. The current GT has the foam mattress and the couple of times I have had folks sleep on them, they felt they were pretty comfortable......granted it was only for 1 or 2 nights at a time, but no complaints yet.
Old 07-13-2016, 10:30 AM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I've slept on mine a few times, mostly when I come in late and the little one is already in bed with momma. We put a 1 1/2" memory foam topper on top of the foam mattress and it's comfortable enough. Had a thicker topper on, but couch wouldn't close up right. Not a fan of the air mattress. I am looking into replacing the couch with a couple recliners though. The couch is just not that comfortable to sit on.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 12:23 PM   #7

Pull out bed

Yes they are junk.

Just replaced ours with a Villa brand. Wow what a difference. Much better even with an air mattress.

Paperbill
2012 Georgetown
paperbbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 01:23 PM   #8

An easy fix that I have done is to order a replacement foam mattress with a denser foam. I'm 225lbs and felt very comfortable sleeping, no feeling the dreaded cross bars!
We got ours from RV Surplus in Elkhart IN.
good luck!
Marvlab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 11:50 PM   #9

replace your moho mattress with one of these.EXCELLENT

Air Dream air over coil Sofa Bed Mattress

The Air Dream by Leggett and Platt. The newest and finest air-over-coil sofa bed mattress available Air Dream air over coil mattress by Leggett and Platt. Closeup of the handheld air pump. UL rated electric pump Air Dream air over coil mattress by Leggett and Platt. Air dream sofa bed mattress Air Dream air over coil mattress by Leggett and Platt. Air dream sofa bed mattress
Air Dream Air Mattress
The Leggett and Platt Air Dream air-over-coil mattress cutawayThe Air Dream has arrived
Your guests will be truly grateful for the sleeper sofa and you will not want to go back to your own bed once you experience the Air Dream.

Made by the recognized leader in innovative sleep products, the Air Dream will feel like nothing you've ever imagined. Thanks to the innovative air chamber this sleeper sofa mattress transforms into a truly supportive sleep surface once the sofa bed is opened and the mattress is inflated.

The patented Air Dream sofa sleeper mattress system offers the same plush dimensions and luxury feel as a premium bed. Experience comfort you never dreamed possible in a sofa sleeper. Featuring patented air-over-coil technology, this innovative mattress inflates in less than one minute and operates with an easy-to-use hand pump.
New easier-to-adjust firm-to-soft sleeping surface with new valve design
Adjusting the sleep surface from firm to soft is now easier than ever before. A simple touch of a button located on the inflation valve makes individualized comfort easy to achieve. The valve also allows for simple deflation of the mattress by lifting up on a release tab.
Palmtreepat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed