Old 10-14-2015, 03:33 PM   #1

Pump Camera

One of the few things I don't like about driving the Georgetown is trying to maneuver in tight areas such as some gas stations. I try to plan ahead to get fuel at stations with plenty of room, but that is not always possible. A few weeks ago, I installed an inexpensive rear view camera near the fuel filler door. It has made things much easier.

The camera used is a Pyle PLCM38FRV which was purchased at Amazon. Also used was some RG-59 coax cable and 20 gauge 12v power wire run along the chassis from the camera location to the front dashboard, and two type F connector to RCA adapters to connect the video cable.

Rather than install a new power switch for the camera, it is tied to the front map light circuit, so the existing dash switch can turn on the camera as needed. The camera coax cable is connected to the auxiliary video input of the dash rear view monitor.

I could get a better view if I was brave and drilled a hole in the Georgetown to use the flush mount kit that was included with the camera, but I'm satisfied with the slightly obstructed view having the camera installed in the basement door gap.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pump Cam 01.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	300.7 KB
ID:	91534   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pump Cam 02.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	372.9 KB
ID:	91535   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pump Cam 03.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	265.7 KB
ID:	91536  

Old 10-14-2015, 04:52 PM   #2

What video did you use the monitor? Was their a spare video input you used?

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 06:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
What video did you use the monitor? Was their a spare video input you used?
The rear of the dashboard LCD monitor has an auxiliary video input which was unused. It is a yellow RCA plug. Using an F connector to RCA adapter plug, it connects right on to the RG-59 cable I installed from the camera. After switching on the camera, I press the auxiliary input button on the front of the LCD monitor to change from the rear view camera to the pump view camera. It is one of the buttons below the LCD screen in the third photo.
Old 10-14-2015, 09:33 PM   #4

Didn't know that.
Great idea and information.
Here is the wiring diagram for the camera dash monitor if anyone needs.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CM709M1_Manual.pdf (1.03 MB, 60 views)

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 06:46 AM   #5

I installed a second camera at the near top of the ladder on the rear of my 2015 364TS. Purpose was I wanted to see over when I am in full tow mode which includes a tandem tow dolly w/8x10 deck for golf cart and a Fiesta in back. Stock camera wouldn't adjust high enough to see behind, so I adjusted it down to monitor the items on the tow dolly, and use the new one to look over so I can see how close someone is following. I found a 7" monitor w/camera and mounting equipment on Walmart. Com for a cheap price. Had to special order a 50'rca video cable to make it down the ladder, under the carriage and up into dash. Ran power cables to dash as well so I could tie into power to go on and off w ignition. I drilled a hole about 2" away from the bottom of the inside ladder mount, found a rubber grommet at Lowe's and a pack of wire loom, rca cable and power cable from camera down ladder and into grommet are all in the loom and zip tied to ladder to keep from bouncing. Mounted the monitor on the center of dash just above the in dash camera, works great and dies exactly what I needed. Discovered the monitor has a second video input, and the camera at the gas lid is a great idea, but on my unit the gas door protrudes just enough to see it clear on the side view mirror and I've never been out of the hose range at any stop so not really an issue for me. We do however have a 6 & 9 yr old, and often when going somewhere close, within 2 hours or so of home my wife will drive her Explorer so we can get around easier. The kids invariably want to ride in the coach which is fine however no adult eyes to monitor them. Well I found a second camera that fits with the monitor whole system is a Pyle, and my intention is to mount it to the left of the overheard cabinetry over the access door and angle it to monitor the sofa behind the drivers seat and dinette. I found some ivory cable hide strips at Home Depot to hide the wires to get them to the edge of the dash on the passenger side. So a time consuming project but we'll worth it overall...

SternHappens is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
pump