Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2015, 02:30 PM   #1

Question about generator/ trans switch

If I hit a bump, the transfer switch might kick out and the a/c shuts off. So when this happens, you have to turn off a/c to let the transfer switch pull back in and restart the a/c. Also sometimes the generator will kick off all together, I've checked wiring connections and have found nothing to cause this..... Any suggestions??

2013 Georgetown XL 350
Bunkhouse
2002 F250 4X4 CC
2012 Jeep Liberty
Dijoeboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 02:59 PM   #2

Honestly I don't feel the transfer switch is disconnecting when you hit a bump. It is held in magnetically as long as you have power from generator or shore power.

I would check your generator if as you said shuts down. I would 1st check oil level to insure it isn't shutting down for high temp or low oil pressure.

At least this information will help you start checking.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 03:25 PM   #3

Oil level is good, checked it last night, it will only shut off if you hit a bump, it will restart and run again.... Its not overheating, I'm think in maybe a loose connection but have been unable to find it yet....

The transfer switch kicks out and the a/c will kick off,the microwave display goes off, generator still running, then the transfer switch tries to pull back in and can't because of the draw the a/c has cause it's still electrically turned on by thermostat, I have to turn thermostat off, let transfer switch pull in, wait for the the microwave to display and then I can turn the a/c back on. It doesn't do this all the time, but it's enough that it starting to annoy me!

2013 Georgetown XL 350
Bunkhouse
2002 F250 4X4 CC
2012 Jeep Liberty
Old 05-15-2015, 04:25 PM   #4

I have had my generator do this on a few occasions. Always when it is hot weather and generator has been running for a while and only when I have been going slow over a speed bump or backing up and hitting the brakes. Seems like the hot oil is sloshing to one side causing the generator to sense low oil and stop the AC power momentarily. I have noticed if the oil level is even slightly below full it will tend to do this.
I read on another forum of this issue and one poster described the exact same issue and said since he had switched from using 30 weight oil to the 15w40 he had not had the problem again. I use 30 weight oil but plan on switching at the next change.

Charleston SC
1 Boston Terrier, 1 Frenchie, Two Siamese
Gonna miss you Toby, Sage, and Izzie. RIP
cjd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 06:35 PM   #5

Well maybe I will try adding some oil and see if that helps...

2013 Georgetown XL 350
Bunkhouse
2002 F250 4X4 CC
2012 Jeep Liberty
Old 05-16-2015, 01:52 PM   #6

You might have an ATS getting ready to go bad. FR warranted the coach for 1 year, but I have a WFCO T-30 that is manufacturer warranted for 2 years. Not that this helps, but my unit was fine until this spring and then ATS continually tried to start the Gen Set. No other units in the park experienced power issues.
jth8696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 07:30 PM   #7
7 Year Class A RV'er

Have you checked the wiring connections on your start switches? A loose wire could be choking/killing the generator. Total guess, but could happen.

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 08:02 AM   #8

mine has done the same thing. i am convinced it is a heat issue. the ATS overheats and the magnets lose their ability to hold the connection under load. the compartment where the ATS resides is not vented, plus it is right next to the generator compartment and most importantly the generator exhaust. my ATS is a "Furrion" model; i have considering purchasing a more robust ATS, but also i may just take the ATS out of the loop completely and install a 50 amp plug off the genset. that would be my control group solution to see if it truly is the ATS at fault. the frustrating thing is that it is always when you want coach air on during hot daytime travel, and the thing scrambles out and it is a royal pain.

Front & Rear Roadmaster Sway Bars
Koni Shocks
Front and Rear Sumo Springs Jounce Replacement
willingtonpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 09:11 AM   #9

Agree with everything willingtonpaul just said! Yes mine is a furrion as well, I have replaced it last summer with a new one that the mfg. sent me direct, but it's still a problem, I'm thinking the ATS is just cheap. I may look for another brand. I did add about a 1/2 qt of oil to generator yesterday before my travels home, generator itself didn't shut off like it did Friday..... Anybody have recommendations for a more robust 50amp transfer switch???

2013 Georgetown XL 350
Bunkhouse
2002 F250 4X4 CC
2012 Jeep Liberty
Old 08-04-2015, 05:56 PM   #10

Did anybody figure out what the problem was. My ATS is the Furrion model and it looses contact at different times. It can be when hitting a bumpe or just backing up and applying the brakes fast.
What was others solution?
Thanks
Old 08-04-2015, 10:52 PM   #11

I've been having trouble with our transfer switch lately. Sometimes when I start the generator I get no power sent to the coach. If I shut it off and restart it, it usually will power the coach.

I have been thinking of updating the transfer switch and distribution panel to Progressive Dynamics brand units. They seem to have a good reputation.
rxfiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 08:28 PM   #12

It happened to me just a few hours ago when I was backing up and braked suddenly. I may do the oil thing
Old 08-05-2015, 10:46 PM   #13

It's not the oil in the generator, I have been dealing with this issue since 2013 with no resolve no matter what I've done. I'm at a loss as to what to do next.... I haven't given it much thought since my last trip to destin! But I'm sure one day, I will figure it out!

2013 Georgetown XL 350
Bunkhouse
2002 F250 4X4 CC
2012 Jeep Liberty

Tags
generator