Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2016, 08:34 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolman_57 View Post
When you do this do you lose your local programming at home?
Yes you do and it can be a problem... if your DVR at home is set to record your favorite local programs while you're gone.

Or you have a house sitter while you're gone, they lose the local channels.
Old 05-03-2016, 11:42 AM   #22

I use Dish pay as you go and get everything and in HD
k4lp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 12:03 PM   #23

One Key Point

If you have a DISH account, and you add the RV receiver to your account, any changes you make to your programming will effect ALL receivers. Found this out the hard way. We had all of our favorite programs programmed to record while we were away, including locals. Got to our destination, called DISH and had local channels changed to our location. Got home . . . none of our local programs recorded. The home receiver was set to receive locals from our campground location!!! That's the disadvantage - the advantage is that it only cost $7/mo. to add the RV receiver and you can turn on/off monthly or seasonally. Otherwise, it's full price for a separate account just for the RV (not worth it for us). And I HIGHLY recommend the Pathway X2 as mentioned earlier - larger antenna and works with east and west satellites.
NCBBA11043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 12:13 PM   #24
Retired Ford Tech

We are Full-Timers and have Direct TV. We winter in Casa Grande AZ for 6 months. Our home address is Sequim WA. We have family on the East Coast in Georgia and Pennsylvania. When we move from place to place, I call Direct TV and tell them to change my SERVICE address. We get the local channels of the area we're at.We still get the West coast feed from Los Angeles, because our home address is on the West coast.
We're happy with Direct.
rvpezzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 12:23 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvpezzano View Post
We still get the West coast feed from Los Angeles, because our home address is on the West coast.
We're happy with Direct.
No actually you still get the west coast channels since some of the early local channels are on the main satellite which does not support spot beams. I believe that Tampa and possibly metropolitan New York are still there as well. This also allows DirecTV to give local channels to customers who are out of reach of any local channels, which is also FCC regulation.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 12:24 PM   #26

We have DISH with King Dome and love it. I call them and give the new zip code and minutes latter we have the local channels for sheer we are. If trees block the dome and I need to setup the tripod dish I use their DISH for my RV app on my iPhone for easy setup. All In HD as supposed to Direct TV only being available in SD. You will have to have your Kong Dome reprogrammed for DISH.
Center Point suspension
2018 Ram Laramie 3500 6'4" box 2WD
Demco AutoSlide 18k
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 12:57 PM   #27

I have both Dish Trav'ler on roof and the manual Winegard antennae that came with my RV. I call Dish with my location or else if I'm too tired to bother calling that night and setting the signal, I just crank up my antennae and see what local channels it will p/u.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 03:54 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBBA11043 View Post
If you have a DISH account, and you add the RV receiver to your account, any changes you make to your programming will effect ALL receivers. Found this out the hard way. We had all of our favorite programs programmed to record while we were away, including locals. Got to our destination, called DISH and had local channels changed to our location. Got home . . . none of our local programs recorded. The home receiver was set to receive locals from our campground location!!! That's the disadvantage - the advantage is that it only cost $7/mo. to add the RV receiver and you can turn on/off monthly or seasonally. Otherwise, it's full price for a separate account just for the RV (not worth it for us). And I HIGHLY recommend the Pathway X2 as mentioned earlier - larger antenna and works with east and west satellites.
I know. Mama was pissed when we got home and Dancing with the Stars wasn't recorded
Old 05-03-2016, 04:03 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvpezzano View Post
We are Full-Timers and have Direct TV. We winter in Casa Grande AZ for 6 months. Our home address is Sequim WA. We have family on the East Coast in Georgia and Pennsylvania. When we move from place to place, I call Direct TV and tell them to change my SERVICE address. We get the local channels of the area we're at.We still get the West coast feed from Los Angeles, because our home address is on the West coast.
We're happy with Direct.
X2, except for the places you go.

Bruce
Old 05-03-2016, 08:20 PM   #30
Jack of All Trades

One thing to remember with the automatic antennas - like the Pathway X2 that I have.

While they support two receivers, the master receiver controls which satellite is being looked at. If the channels you want on both receivers are on the same satelite, no problem, you can tune them in. But if the channels you want are on different satellites, you are out of luck as the antenna will be pointed at the satillite the master receiver's channel is tuned to, the slave receiver will receive nothing.

Not a big deal until you want to watch a local channel, which are generally on a different satelite than the majority of the main channels, and the better half wants to watch "Hording Buried Alive".

Our solution was to buy the OTA adapters and use the over the air antenna for local channels.

Rick
ScanGauge, TST 507 TPMS
RJHuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 12:17 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbillsmith View Post
I have the Tailgater with the 211k receiver. The 211k has a coax input that takes the cable lead from the RVs roof top antennae. In addition to the satellite channels it will scan the antenna local channels. The Dish guide then shows both satellite and locals in the listings.
X2 Works great when only staying for a few days. Picks locals from the antenna and feeds right thru the receiver. It even converts digital signal so I can use on my old analog TV.

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote