Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2016, 11:25 AM   #1

Question for all DISH users

Tried out the King Dome for Directv and was not impressed with quality of the SD and no local channels. Thinking of going DISH but want to make sure that you really do get local channels wherever you go. Also, noticed their base programming just for mobile travelers is $65 for the better channels. $40 plan with 55 channels really doesn't have great programming. Anyhow, can anyone vouch for the local channels everywhere all the time? Thanks!!
Lvnlife1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 11:41 AM   #2
Happily Retired Member

I have a Pathway X2 and could not be happier. It is Dish specific. I just set it out, power up the receiver and the system does the rest. It is powered by the coax cable so no other power is needed. When I change locations I call dish and have them reset my locals per the zip code. This year I am going to a pay as you go, so not sure how that will work out, but hoping for the best.

2013 Ford Escape on Landgrebe tow dolly
Mickeystamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 12:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeystamper View Post
I have a Pathway X2 and could not be happier. It is Dish specific. I just set it out, power up the receiver and the system does the rest. It is powered by the coax cable so no other power is needed. When I change locations I call dish and have them reset my locals per the zip code. This year I am going to a pay as you go, so not sure how that will work out, but hoping for the best.
So you do get specific local channels with each different place you visit? Directv only gives you your home local channels and this weekend we were less than 100 miles from home and still no local channels.
Old 05-02-2016, 12:29 PM   #4

LVINLive1973, where do you live? Where are your "local" channels coming from? The King DirecTV receiver by default only zeros in on Sat 101, and it does not broadcast all the local stations in the us. I am guessing your home channels are not on Sat 101. To connect to the other satellites you will need the sat controller from King, it runs for $100. It also has an alarm feature built into it.
92 GMC K2500 454
2006 Honda Rubicon ATV
zuterbru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 12:42 PM   #5
Happily Retired Member

The pathway x2 will scan Eastern or Western arcs. I did get local channels according to the zip code I was at. I had to call Dish to get them to change the zip code of my new location. It only works with Dish. In the past I had a Dish account, but have cancelled it at home. This year I purchased my own receiver and will go to a pay as you go account, so I can not say for sure if I will get local channels with pay as you go. The X2 will pick up numerous satellites. When you change channels ( depending on the channel) the X2 will move to different satellites automatically. When the system is set up it takes several minutes for the X2 to scan all the satellites. Like I said, when changing channels the X2 will move to the required satellites.

Old 05-02-2016, 04:24 PM   #6

We have a Tailgater with DISH, pay as you go - purchased specifically for the RV.

Works great most times - the only difficulty we've had is when we can't get all 3 satellites at our location (usually due to trees) We have changed and gotten the "local" channels whenever we've moved to a different location. Can't always get them if we aren't able to catch the satellite that has them.

We have found the easiest way to get your "location" changed is by using the chat function when you are logged in (assuming you can do this from your phone) vs calling them. I have actually done it prior to leaving home - if you have the address of your campground, you can change it then and it should work (assuming you get the satellites) when you get there. So far the furthest we've been from home is about 300 miles, and we've gotten the local channels every time the satellite works.

We replaced the TV's in the MH with better quality ones - even though last year we had an HD signal, it didn't look look like it on the "HD" TV's we had. Helped a lot with the picture.

Garren
Edgar & Carlos (felines)
RIP Sophie, the sweetest cat ever.
ChrisAndGarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 04:38 PM   #7

We have dish. When we get to a new location we call dish and ask that we get the locals in that zip code.

They switch it over and in 5 minutes we get the locals. Now if we are traveling we don't call every night. Just call when we plan to stay a few days in that location.

Now we are NOT getting our home locals. Just the locals in the area we are in.

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 04:42 PM   #8

Both Dish and DirecTV have had to find a way to carry thousands of local channels in order to compete with cable. They have done this by building satellites that use "spot beams" which direct a given local channel only to the geographic area that channel serves. They cannot give you access to "your" local channels when you are out of that spot of ground. They can change your setup to give you access to the local channels in the geographic area that you currently occupy, hence you have to call them and update your zip code in their system so that they can enable your receiver to pull in the local channels where you happen to be.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 07:15 PM   #9
toolman_57

We use the pay as you go but don't ask dish to reprogram the locals. Can't answer about the dish locals. We did add a hard drive to the 211z to record the dish signal. Tried to add the OTA tuner to the dish receiver. It worked ok but OTA didn't record very well (lots of skipping). We upgraded the OTA antenna and added a 4 channel Tivo.
toolman_57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 07:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lvnlife1973 View Post
So you do get specific local channels with each different place you visit? Directv only gives you your home local channels and this weekend we were less than 100 miles from home and still no local channels.

Call dish and give them the address you are at and they will give you locals specific to that address. Do it all the time.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
mzbrandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 07:42 PM   #11
toolman_57

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzbrandi View Post
Call dish and give them the address you are at and they will give you locals specific to that address. Do it all the time.

When you do this do you lose your local programming at home?
toolman_57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 07:44 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBrownstein View Post
Both Dish and DirecTV have had to find a way to carry thousands of local channels in order to compete with cable. They have done this by building satellites that use "spot beams" which direct a given local channel only to the geographic area that channel serves. They cannot give you access to "your" local channels when you are out of that spot of ground. They can change your setup to give you access to the local channels in the geographic area that you currently occupy, hence you have to call them and update your zip code in their system so that they can enable your receiver to pull in the local channels where you happen to be.
I would love to get the local channels of the geographical area that the RV is at. So sounds like Directv will do that as well? Just have to call them to change the zip code? Hm....will have to try that.

I was having a hard time getting a signal. It finally found it on transponder 16. I had the King dome on the ground...do I need a tripod? I thought the whole point was that it would work from the ground. There were no obstructions overhead at all. I even used a satellite finder app on my phone and it was still a bit challenging.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:05 PM   #13

We also have dish and use the Tailgater. I used to hate to use the old "Tripod" and have to level and try and find the sats.....it was frustrating to say the least. I have mostly used it within a couple hundred of home and have always got my locals.

The tailgater gives you some leeway if you have to move it for trees and did I mention it was easy to set up??

Happy travels!
TedT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 08:24 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzbrandi View Post

X2
2015 Nights Camped 72
2016 42
2017 15 so far
Fred and Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 08:30 PM   #15
Happily Retired Member

The Pathway X2 is as easy as it gets. You set it out, plug in the coax and the receiver does the rest.

Old 05-02-2016, 08:40 PM   #16
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I have the DISH Tailgater and use it almost every time we camp. As some other posters have said, its limitations are trees. In some campgrounds I do not even try. For tailgating events where we are there Friday night until Sunday, we use it all weekend. I purchased a receiver that is compatible with the Tailgater and leave it in the RV. Before I did that, I took one from the house (that was compatible) and then brought it back inside when we returned. I got tired of doing that. So now, I have one with me all the time and have called and gotten locals where I was spending a couple days. I have my regular home programming while on the road, minus locals. I usually just crank up the roof antenna and switch the TV input to over the air when I want to watch local info like weather. I have had success with DISH and am a happy customer.
2016-(32) 2017-(13) 2018-(20) 2019-0
BombDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 08:43 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolman_57 View Post

That's exactly right. But when I do it lm not at home I'm on the road. When we get back home we call Dish and ask for the locals to be our home address.

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 08:43 PM   #18

Toolman, yes you lose local programming at home.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 09:23 PM   #19
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

I have the Tailgater with the 211k receiver. The 211k has a coax input that takes the cable lead from the RVs roof top antennae. In addition to the satellite channels it will scan the antenna local channels. The Dish guide then shows both satellite and locals in the listings.
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 06:58 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolman_57 View Post

Yes you do, but your not home so no problem. When you get home call them and switch it back.

mzbrandi is offline   Reply With Quote