Old 07-15-2011, 12:49 PM   #1

Question on power awning

I have an electric awning on my Georgetown 330TS. On occasion, the speed and motor sound like it's getting slower or labored doing it's job. Anyone know exactly where the motor is located? Does it work any better having a shoreline connection for power? Any better having the genny running to help? Guess it HAS to run on battery if you're boondocking, but just wondering if there's anything to help the situation.

Thanks

Ken and Terry
2010 Georgetown 330TS being pushed by our
2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 01:06 PM   #2

The motor is inside the tube the awning rolls around. The more voltage the 12v system has the stronger it will run so plugged in would likely be better than battery alone since the converter is in the loop.

2009 Ford Edge AWD Ltd towed
2011 Honda Fit Sport towed
ronhanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 06:48 PM   #3

Yep, the motor is in the roller.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:24 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

In fact, if you are standing outside the camper, and looking at the awning, it is in the top right. DO NOT RY TO REMOVE or DISASSEMBLE!!!! The awning spring loaded, and unless you know how to place the locks in one, it can hurt you. Also the awning must first be removed from the coach. Make sure your battery is in good shape.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 10:21 PM   #5

Hello windrider.........

You sound like you've "bin der, done dat". As far as the battery being in good shape.......I'm assuming you mean the house batteries as opposed to the engine battery? I can check them with a meter sometime this weekend, but they haven't given me any problems to date.

Thanks

Ken and Terry
Old 07-16-2011, 12:07 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ken and terry,

Don't have one myself, but worked as an RV tech for a while, so yes, been there, done that, and got a "T" shirt to prove it. If you want to know a lot more, feel free to send a private message. Get a lot of beer, a lot of scaffolding, and a lot of buddies, incite them for the beer of course, once the job is done.

There is a connector in the right hand arm, near the top, that you should be able to get apart. Test there with your meter but yoy will need someone to hold the switch for you, since you will have to extend the awning and be on a ladder, Also would be nice to have a have a load to plug in to the connector, like a light bulb with wires attached, to be able to test voltage with a load. If you want more details, send a private message and I'll help as best I can. First thing is to verify voltage to the motor, then work backwards. Since I know nothing about your rig or batteries, check them first before we get to the ladder part. Check them with several lights on in the coach, and leave the lights on for 30 minutes and measure voltage again.

Hope I'm helping.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 04:07 PM   #7

My awning goes out just fine but stalls or goes very slow coming in. I've read around and it sounds like I need to have the spring tension wound a bit tighter. I can't find instructions on doing this anywhere.

If I don't come up with something soon I'll probably take it to the local RV shop and have them do it.

I'm tired of being out there with a broom to push on it in one hand and the remote in the other hand. It goes in just fine as long as I give it a push at the right moment.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsutherl View Post
My awning goes out just fine but stalls or goes very slow coming in. I've read around and it sounds like I need to have the spring tension wound a bit tighter. I can't find instructions on doing this anywhere.

If I don't come up with something soon I'll probably take it to the local RV shop and have them do it.

I'm tired of being out there with a broom to push on it in one hand and the remote in the other hand. It goes in just fine as long as I give it a push at the right moment.

I'm having the same issues with my 17 ft power awning. It is still under the 2 year warrantee and it is heading to the dealer on Tuesday. Mine also gets jammed half way going out and I have to bring it back in a foot then out again to work.

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 01:11 PM   #9

In conjunction with my original dealer (some 2 hours away), I had my "house" batteries load tested by a local "Authorized" Dometic RV dealership.

They concluded the "house" batteries are performing perfectly, and experienced the slow and actually stopped action by my power awning. They conclude the awning motor is the culprit.

My original dealer has been advised, and seeing how as we are still under warranty, has agreed there would be no violation by having the local dealer perform the work as a warranty claim. But if the local dealer schedule does not meet our needs or they do not want to get involved in the warranty claim, my original dealer will schedule us in for replacement.

I feel good that it will be taken care of, just need to see the local dealer this afternoon to see what direction we take next.

We'll let you know.

Ken and Terry

Tags
awning