Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2014, 08:20 PM   #1

question on residential fridge

Has anyone had to remove the residential fridge - if so any tips are appreciated. Mine just stopped cooling, everything works but not cooling at all. I can get it covered under warranty but needs to be accessible for the technician.

Any input is appreciated - thanks
P38wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 08:57 PM   #2

I had to pull our Frigidaire residential frig in our 2014 351 DS- it too had stopped cooling and the frigidaire tech would not slide out to inspect/repair. Due to the fact our frigidaire is about 5" off the main floor I built a frame (looks like a pallet) and used carpet under it to slide the frig out onto. I had to remove the right top door and the slide out freezer door to completely slide the frig to the center of the RV. Make sure the water is off and be aware of power cord and water tubing. Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
FL family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 11:56 PM   #3

thanks for the reply, is it just ankered with the screws on the bottom or is there anything else ?
Old 10-16-2014, 05:36 AM   #4

My rig has a wooden brace at the top to prevent tipping of the frig- but it is not necessary to remove that during removal. Only the 2 angled long screws at the bottom hold the frig in.

Old 10-17-2014, 01:29 AM   #5

thanks so much that will help a lot
Old 10-22-2014, 05:56 PM   #6

Gotta ask - in a 2014 Georgetown why is this not covered under warranty?
bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 06:28 PM   #7

Yes- true in that it has warranty but as always each situation had to be considered. RV dealers are usually not appliance repair certified - esp in the case of residential units. Sure- you could drop it off at a dealer - let them pull the frig and then schedule a outside repair man to come look at it- find the issue then maybe have to source parts. I would say all that results in losing the unit for a few days minimum to possibly weeks. I consider myself handy to a certain point and after a year I will not have a warranty (unless I bought an extended one) and will own all the systems anyway. Unless the frig is required to be replaced in its entirety I chose to set up the service and pulled the frig myself. Now I am confident I can pull it in the future along will setup to pull for any future service or cleaning maintenance.

Old 10-23-2014, 06:20 AM   #8

Thanks. I presume the fix cost by the technician was covered? Probably would go the same the direction.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:02 PM   #9

Yes- frig labor and parts were covered. One thing to consider is the date of manufacturer of the appliance may cause an issue since usually appliances are a year old once "newly" installed in coach. I had to provide bill of sale for coach to get Frigidaire to update the appliance warranty and issue new warranty start date.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:25 PM   #10
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

FL family, were you able to move the frig all by yourself?
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 08:40 PM   #11

Yes- frig is on rollers so it rolled out easily and with a piece of rug under the "pallet" I made it slid around the main cabin very easily.

Old 10-27-2014, 09:24 PM   #12

FL Family - sounds like you understand the Fridge operation really well. So I gotta ask - my ice maker makes ice BUT will not dispense ice. The auger in the ice tray doesn't sound like it is turning. Is there a switch I am missing?

Oh yes - my Fridge is a FRIGIDAIRE in my Georgetown 351.
Old 10-28-2014, 05:33 AM   #13

Bigben- I would check the auger turns freely even when the ice bucket is full then try crushed or cube button on door front to see if it will dispense either- also check the ice bucket is properly seated in its slot- only operational type things to quickly check. The frig has a somewhat complicated troubleshooting menu that can be viewed by pushing various combinations of the door buttons but I do not have the directions handy.

Old 10-28-2014, 06:28 AM   #14

BigBen,

Did your ice maker ever work? If not, you may need to pull fridge out and make sure the electrical connection is not off of the solenoid.

Good luck,
Don
dmdrj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 07:06 AM   #15

Thanks for the inputs. I'll check both. Making ice is not such a big deal BUT dispensing ice - big deal.

Thanks again.

Tags
fridge