Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2011, 08:49 AM   #1

Questions from an almost new owner

We have ordered our first 378TS for delivery in late spring. Any hints on how to reach the back of the deep storage area under kitchen counter? Also about towing: some say you cant tow a car with automatic, must have manual transmission. Is that true? Thanks
Kirby42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:51 AM   #2
Kanadian Kamper

Congrats on your new rig. I'm sure you'll spend a lot of time here getting information about it, and the people here are very helpful. Just looking at the floorplan for your model, I'm guessing you are talking about the space to the right of the stove. Some places in different models are better left untouched!

As far as towing............I won't even attempt to touch this one. There have been soooooooo many threads about towing, you'll have to do some searching on your own. Just start looking into past posts by using the search engine in here. There are no simple answers to this toipic.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:45 AM   #3

Welcome-check out Motorhome Magazine website for towable cars-lots of good info there.
tazzerbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:49 AM   #4

Send a message via MSN to nemo45 Send a message via Yahoo to nemo45
Go to Application Charts | Remco Towing and you can check and see what vehicles can be towed 4 wheels down.
nemo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:14 AM   #5

as far the cabinets we use large pull out plastic tubs and put stuff in the back that isn't used to often.
as for the car most all chevy cars can be towed flat ( four w2heels on the ground) Malibu, Cruze, etc. and there are a lot of other ones out there.
Oh Congradulations on your New Purchase.
Joe
JDickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:31 AM   #6

Congradulations!
We bought a Honda CRV for towing 4 wheels down with no alterations and you don't even know it's there. Really glad the rear view camera lets us know we are being closely followed.
peskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:37 AM   #7
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Congrats on your new Georgetown and to the forums. We flat tow a 2004 Grand AM, no problems. It really depends on the vehicle you wish to tow. Some can and some can't be flat towed.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 12:51 PM   #8

The problem with some cars with automatic transmissions is the driveshafts are turning the internal components of the transmission but because the engine isn't running neither is the pump which circulates the fluid to cool and lubricate the parts resulting in a transmission with a limited life expectancy. Some cars do not have this issue, for those that do they make quick disconnects for the driveshafts. Check with the manufacturer of the car you will be towing.
Congrats and have fun!
Old 01-21-2011, 05:29 PM   #9

We also have a 378 model and yes, its a ways back in the bottom cabinet. We just store items that we don't use all the time back there. As far as towing an automatic, most american cars can ge towed. We towed a saturn and now a Ford escape. The saturn we had to pull one fuse and leave it in neutral (Grandaughter has it now in college). the Ford has to be left in neutral and the auto trans fluid reduced to a marked level in the add part of the dip stick. It also has to be started once every 500 miles and run thru the gears. The above mentioned web is a good place to start. I do know some cars made overseas cannot be towed with automatics.

Ken and Velda
Dahlgren, VA.
2008 Georgetown XL 378
2010 Ford Escape Limited
kvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 12:10 PM   #10

Thanks to all for your answers
Kirby42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:34 AM   #11

An alternative to 4 down would be a tow dolly. That is what I use. Not as convienent, but I couldn't get a new/used car when I got my unit.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:01 PM   #12

We tow a 2006 Hyunda Elantra with auto trans. We had to have a lube pump installed, but with the pump running there is no problems. We pulled the car for about 15000 miles before we traded in our old RV for our new (used) 2010 Georgetown. Our dealer is taking the Remco lube pump control out of the old RV and installing it in the new one. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
jshields13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 10:08 PM   #13

Hey Kirby 42, when we took delivery of our new 378TS, the cabinet space you are referring to had a prominent sticker on it that said "Do not use for storage". So if you follow the manufacturer's advice, your question is a moot issue. I figure they put that there because they did not want extra weight in the cabinet because it is in a slide out.

But for the real world, all of the prior suggestions above will work. Plastic baskets and light items.

Happy Trails, fbconsults
(Forrest and Donna)
fbconsults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 08:02 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbconsults View Post
Hey Kirby 42, when we took delivery of our new 378TS, the cabinet space you are referring to had a prominent sticker on it that said "Do not use for storage". So if you follow the manufacturer's advice, your question is a moot issue. I figure they put that there because they did not want extra weight in the cabinet because it is in a slide out.

But for the real world, all of the prior suggestions above will work. Plastic baskets and light items.

Happy Trails, fbconsults
(Forrest and Donna)
Hey guys....I think that the sticker (do not use for storage) is in reference to the inlet side of the furnace that sits there and not the angled cabnet.
Kirby the Old Dog, passed but still in our hearts
Max E. Dog, the new pup
Eureka the Old Cat, still hangin' on
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote