Old 07-11-2013, 01:38 PM   #1

Radio / 12 volt outlet fuse

Ok on my 2007 Georgetown I have started blowing the 20 amp #16 fuse (body builders 12 volt supply) which powers the radio and the 12 volt outlets, on my last trip. Its not a dead short as you can put in a new fuse and the circuit will hold. I have been checking every day since Sunday and today it was blown for the first time since Sunday. No movement of the coach, its parked outside the house awaiting its next trip. Replaced fuse and it held, played with a few things with the voltage meter plugged in and all was fine. Plugged the GPS back in and the fuse blew. So I am thinking its the GPS or the outlet. Plugged a power strip into the outlet and the meter and the GPS into the power strip and circuit and it is still good. I did notice when you put a new fuse in you hear like a motor come up inside the dash for a couple of seconds so I am thinking some other things are also powered off this circuit.

So anyone ever have to deal with this and what did you find? Does anyone know what else is powered by the circuit? Or what is the disassembly steps to open up the center console (backup camera, radio, heater controls gen and leveling panel) so I can take a look at the wiring if I need to?

I've had the motorhome for 4 years and the GPS for over a year so its a new thing. The only changes before the last trip were new coach batteries.

Thanks

Old 07-12-2013, 03:15 PM   #2
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Rand McNally GPS RVND7710 or 5510? If you have one of these you need to unscrew the end that holds the fuse in. There should be a sleeve to isolate the fuse from coming in contact with the metal arms that hold it in the outlet. Mine fell apart and when i put it back together I kept blowing the same fuse. I took electrical tape and covered the metal side of the fuse closest to the end and that solved the mystery. Could be the same issue with another GPS manufacturer as well.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 05:36 PM   #3

We got a winner. RVND 7710, opened up the fuse holder and there was a small piece of plastic floating around and one of the negative spring clips was exposed. You could see on that side the clip if pressed in hard enough would contact the top part of the fuse. Used a piece of tape for the time being, called Rand and a replacement is on its way. Would still like to know how to open up the console just in case someday I need to replace anything in there. Thanks
Old 07-12-2013, 05:55 PM   #4
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutmeg View Post
We got a winner. RVND 7710, opened up the fuse holder and there was a small piece of plastic floating around and one of the negative spring clips was exposed. You could see on that side the clip if pressed in hard enough would contact the top part of the fuse. Used a piece of tape for the time being, called Rand and a replacement is on its way. Would still like to know how to open up the console just in case someday I need to replace anything in there. Thanks
I'm now planning to call them and see if they send me a new one.
I just experienced this on our last trip a few weeks ago. When I started reading your post I thought Wow I could have wrote this 3 weeks ago almost word for word. Glad to hear you're back up and running. I ended up getting a pack of 20 amp fuses and hope I never need them but hey you never know. That fuse also controls the Radio, Map Lights and the Fans. At least mine is set up that way.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Old 07-12-2013, 06:20 PM   #5

To all with the 7710, it is a piece of junk they rushed to market and is will fail often. Rand Mcnally does not have the courtesy to list a Customer Service number or email on their site. I have dealt with them three times on my 7710, which was sent back twice, and all they want is to return it for repair again. I filed a complaint with GoodSam action line and nothing happened, except a few weeks later a 4 page ad for the new 7720 was in GS Mag. Filed with BBB in Chicago, again nothing happens. All this is said to forewarn you ref a replacement or refund. The only email with the company is via their own site email which low and behold they have no record of the 5 emails I sent. I hope my experience helps someone else.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:15 PM   #6
CLASS "A" Senior Member

copsuno, So you had no luck trying to contact them? I plan to try on Monday after I get home from work. I haven't had problems with the GPS itself just the Car Adapter which is a really poorly designed piece. That little screw on fuse cap is so thin it can't hold the pressure of the spring and just blew apart the 2nd time I used the thing.

Rand McNally Website

Our Phone Numbers

TND™ / RVND™ Navigation Devices

1-877-446-4863

Technical Support: Monday - Friday, 7am to 6pm CST

Fleet Sales -TPC 7600 / TND™ 760 Fleet Edition

1-800-641-7263

Sales and Billing: Monday - Friday, 8am to 5pm CS

Technical Support: Monday - Friday, 7am to 6pm CST

For MileMakerŽ / IntelliRouteŽ Licensing and Support

1-800-234-4069

Monday - Friday, 8:30am to 5pm CST

Our Emails

Online Store

store@randmcnally.com

IntelliRouteŽ TND™ Support

tndsupport@randmcnally.com

Truck Product Support

ctsupport@randmcnally.com

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Old 07-12-2013, 10:02 PM   #7

I called 1 800 333 0136 - punched thru the phone tree to tech services. Told them the issue and asked for a replacement. He just asked for the serial number, they had my name from the number, as I had registered the unit when I bought it, asked for a shipping address and said they would send a replacement cord out. Easy as that. Maybe I was lucky on a Friday afternoon. Good luck to you.