Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2014, 11:49 AM   #1

Rattle at door

We have a 2014 351ds. We just picked up a little over a week ago. On our way home from our first trip we started hearing an awful rattle in the door. Anyone else experiencing this?? It's much worse than the rattle in the window screens up front. Feeling frustrated....
Campingmomx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 12:11 PM   #2

The windows have an anti rattle insert that you have to make a little bit tighter when the window slides into them. Not sure what's rattling in your door though...could be the screen door not fitting tight against the main door.
Old 03-17-2014, 02:15 PM   #3

Are you sure the rattle is at the door? Did you have someone ride in back, either at the dinette or sofa and listen to the noise? It may be something else.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 02:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campingmomx4
We have a 2014 351ds. We just picked up a little over a week ago. On our way home from our first trip we started hearing an awful rattle in the door. Anyone else experiencing this?? It's much worse than the rattle in the window screens up front. Feeling frustrated....
Most likely the door is on the first of two "cam" locks. You must close it a bit harder or have the latch adjusted. I've had it happen to me also.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 03:00 PM   #5

Another very annoying noise we had was a tick tick coming from the hub caps. As you already know, they are fake and the fake chrome lugs are just a metal cover. They become lose and rattle.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:00 PM   #6

We had two rattles, one was the screen door, bent it a little---solved.
The other was the glass mirror around the cook top, piece of cardboard solved that !!!
Hampton Roads VA
2016 174 Days camping, 2017 66 days 2018 24 days 2019 48 days 2020 25 days 2021 6
mogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 05:18 AM   #7

Had the same two rattles. The drivers window and the screen door. Fiddled with the inserts on the drivers window as Al mentioned and quieted that one. The noise on our screen door is that square piece of plastic that the slide piece for the handle slides over beside. I can tap on that and duplicate the noise but haven't quite figured out how to stop the vibration without putting something on that looks bad.

Charleston SC
1 Boston Terrier, 1 Frenchie, Two Siamese
Gonna miss you Toby, Sage, and Izzie. RIP
cjd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 06:30 AM   #8

CJ, what about using some of those anti skid dots/pads. Not sure what they are called, but like the ones on the bottom of decorative articles. Or, like the ones that keep the kitchen cabinets from slamming. You can get some black ones that match the screen door frame.
Old 03-22-2014, 10:53 PM   #9

Door squeeks / rattles / vibrations / noises can be a challenge to detect. Had my wife pull on the door handle while traveling to see if it quieted a squeak that was driving (mostly me) crazy. I ended up quieting it by simply lubing the cams in the latching/locking mechanism.

Passenger windows tends to make a racket once in a while, so need to investigate adjusting the inserts as previously mentioned. I can't stand rattles and vibrations going down the road. And, so FR's credit, our GT has been as quiet and refined going down the road as any coach we've owned so far.
Buck & Patsy, the boston-mix guard dogs
43D18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 10:46 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43D18 View Post
Door squeeks / rattles / vibrations / noises can be a challenge to detect. Had my wife pull on the door handle while traveling to see if it quieted a squeak that was driving (mostly me) crazy. I ended up quieting it by simply lubing the cams in the latching/locking mechanism.

Passenger windows tends to make a racket once in a while, so need to investigate adjusting the inserts as previously mentioned. I can't stand rattles and vibrations going down the road. And, so FR's credit, our GT has been as quiet and refined going down the road as any coach we've owned so far.
I can't stand rattles either. I have to admit that our GT is very quiet down the road all things considered. I've battling the tick tick from the front hub caps. I thought it was just the driver's side, but the passenger one does it too.
Old 03-25-2014, 05:11 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparmmer View Post
I can't stand rattles either. I have to admit that our GT is very quiet down the road all things considered. I've battling the tick tick from the front hub caps. I thought it was just the driver's side, but the passenger one does it too.
Al,
My 98 GT320 had the exact same hubcaps that made a noise. I had to put washers under the two lug nuts that actually hold the hubcap on as they were bottoming out on the studs and not holding it tight enough. That worked on my old MH.
Haven't had a chance to try the pads on my screen door as you suggested yet.

Charleston SC
Old 03-25-2014, 07:41 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd10 View Post
Al,
My 98 GT320 had the exact same hubcaps that made a noise. I had to put washers under the two lug nuts that actually hold the hubcap on as they were bottoming out on the studs and not holding it tight enough. That worked on my old MH.
Haven't had a chance to try the pads on my screen door as you suggested yet.
I'll have to try that, thanks.
Old 03-29-2014, 06:24 PM   #13

On the 378 fireplace I had to run a bead of silicone rubber to stop the left and right verticle sides of the glass to stop the rattle. Put painters tape on the metal and another strip on the glass. Push the glass in some caulk, release the pressure, wipe off the excess and then remove the tape. Let it sit overnight before moving the coach. You may find like us, that a background noise disappeared.

2012 Georgetown 378XL
Toad 07 Lexus RX350
intercept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 07:07 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by intercept View Post
On the 378 fireplace I had to run a bead of silicone rubber to stop the left and right verticle sides of the glass to stop the rattle. Put painters tape on the metal and another strip on the glass. Push the glass in some caulk, release the pressure, wipe off the excess and then remove the tape. Let it sit overnight before moving the coach. You may find like us, that a background noise disappeared.
That might just work on the screen door panel as well. I think I even have some black silicone that will match. Thanks. I'll let you know how it works.

Charleston SC
Old 03-30-2014, 09:06 AM   #15

The noise that most annoys me is the vibration of the screens against the passenger and driver side widows while underway. Haven't figured our a solution other than to remove the screens.
Krazymace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 03:30 PM   #16

We just got back from FL and during one of the stops I was bored checking things out. I found out that three out of the four screws that fasten the inside door latch plate were about to fall out. The third one was about one turn loose. Funny thing was that when I tightened them all down the door kept coming open while on the road...not fully opened, but enough to cause the steps to extract. Come to find out if I fully tighten the two screws closest to the edge of the door, the locking slide only comes out about half way. When I loosened them a bit, then it will fully lock. I could not figure out why. I ended up putting some Loctite to make sure they don't come loose again.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:54 PM   #17

Krazymace
I had that same rattle from the screens. Removed screens and stuck on some Velcro over the edges in few spots. Replaced screens and no more rattles!👍
Old 04-04-2014, 05:13 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABoy View Post
Krazymace
I had that same rattle from the screens. Removed screens and stuck on some Velcro over the edges in few spots. Replaced screens and no more rattles!👍

Genius! Looks like a trip for Velcro is in order!!
Campingmomx4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door