Old 02-25-2011, 12:43 AM   #21

Hi Wnytaxman,

Thank you. It's really not necessary as I am happy with my purchase now, but thank you anyways.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:00 AM   #22
Site Team - Lou

Ah yes; the problem with an open forum.

Once you hit send; you have lost control of your words (and photographs and videos). They are out there in the "ether" and have a life of their own. They go where they will with impact not to be know in many cases. Sometimes, we find out to our horror.

How many of us have posted things to Networking sites and have had those comments come back to haunt us. People have lost jobs over Facebook comments. People have been burglarized by posting real time photos that show they were not at home (while their real address or hometown was shared).

NEVER post your real email to a thread. Us the PM function to protect yourself. Flaming a company may make us feel good when we did it; but a libel law suit is no joke.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:30 AM   #23
2011 Berkshire 390bh

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowy View Post
Hi Wnytaxman,

Thank you. It's really not necessary as I am happy with my purchase now, but thank you anyways.

My purpose of sending the info to the owners of RV Direct is that my experience with them has been just the opposite. One of the owners has become a good friend and he appreciates the feed back, both positive and negative. I have my own practice and when one of my employees steps out of line and does not treat a client with utmost respect they will hear from me. I recently had to let a guy go who had been with me for 23 years for exactly that type of situation. It's a very competitive world out there and the last thing any of us needs is for someone in my employ or anyone's employ, for that matter, to act like an idiot. If you make one customer or client happy they may tell someone else, but if you make one unhappy the WILL tell everyone they meet.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:59 PM   #24

Hi Herk,

Are you reminding me/warning me of the post I posted for RV direct might infuriate the company and result in lawsuit? It took me a while to understand your post....

I don't understand why there might be legal suits if everything I said was genuine.....but thank you for the reminder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Ah yes; the problem with an open forum.

Once you hit send; you have lost control of your words (and photographs and videos). They are out there in the "ether" and have a life of their own. They go where they will with impact not to be know in many cases. Sometimes, we find out to our horror.

How many of us have posted things to Networking sites and have had those comments come back to haunt us. People have lost jobs over Facebook comments. People have been burglarized by posting real time photos that show they were not at home (while their real address or hometown was shared).

NEVER post your real email to a thread. Us the PM function to protect yourself. Flaming a company may make us feel good when we did it; but a libel law suit is no joke.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:16 AM   #25
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowy View Post
Hi Herk,

Are you reminding me/warning me of the post I posted for RV direct might infuriate the company and result in lawsuit? It took me a while to understand your post....

I don't understand why there might be legal suits if everything I said was genuine.....but thank you for the reminder.
Well, my "warning/reminder" was general in nature about problems associated with open forums and networking sites. However, since you asked...

While I am not a lawyer (and I DO NOT play one on the internet) I believe that if you post something on an open forum that is or could be libel, you could open yourself up for legal action. Whether it is or is not libel (or whether what was said could damage their reputation unfairly) would be up to the company to determine since they would be the ones with the staff lawyers who get paid to do that.

If the company was so disposed, they could sue for disclosure of your information; the forum owner would be required to provide your contact information and IP address. That would lead to your ISP, who would be required by the court to direct the process server to your door. (Some Napster users found out this little tidbit to their great horror).

While what you said may very well be true, in your opinion, the company may have a very different view of the facts and will not have had a chance to rebut your "rant."

Any REAL lawyers out there are free to comment.

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 02-27-2011, 11:14 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphin1349 View Post
I asked D* since both models are from the same manufacturer, is it possible for her to give me a better price quote on the regular Georgetown.

The answer was NO. That is the best price she can give and their company has no room for negotiation.
I too had a similar experience as dolphin. When speaking with the salesperson from RV Direct I asked if they could do a little better on the price and his response was the same as what dolphin received. I told them I also had a trade and asked what I could get for that. The number he gave me seemed low since the unit was only 1 year old and had less than 8000 miles on it (a class C). I asked to speak with a manager since the salesmans tone was very nasty. I was given a Kris to speak with and her response was to 'take it or leave it!'. Her exact words. I said that I had to talk it over with my wife and would get back to her. She said that I had to make it fast because someone else was looking at the same unit. I called back about a week later and again asked if they could do a little better on the trade and was given the same line about it being the best price and they had no room for negotiation. She said the owner was not willing to negotiate at all. When I called back and asked to speak with Don Strollo ( I believe that he is the owner), she said he would not speak with me and that I had to deal with her. I said I would call back with my decision. When I did, she said that it was about time that I had decided and that she had spent alot of time with me in making this deal. Again, she said there was no room for any type of negotiation. I would have been thrilled if they had just said that they would have given me $1000 more for my trade but she stuck to the no room to negotiate line. I did end up buying from them only because they had the best price but the 'negotiation process' left me with a bad taste in my mouth for RV Direct.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 01:38 AM   #27

Hi Herk,

Thanks for the clarification. However, Napster's case was different since it involved illegal sharing of media files against copyrights. The discussion was for my purchasing experience which is very common and in line with consumer complaints website, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Well, my "warning/reminder" was general in nature about problems associated with open forums and networking sites. However, since you asked...

While I am not a lawyer (and I DO NOT play one on the internet) I believe that if you post something on an open forum that is or could be libel, you could open yourself up for legal action. Whether it is or is not libel (or whether what was said could damage their reputation unfairly) would be up to the company to determine since they would be the ones with the staff lawyers who get paid to do that.

If the company was so disposed, they could sue for disclosure of your information; the forum owner would be required to provide your contact information and IP address. That would lead to your ISP, who would be required by the court to direct the process server to your door. (Some Napster users found out this little tidbit to their great horror).

While what you said may very well be true, in your opinion, the company may have a very different view of the facts and will not have had a chance to rebut your "rant."

Any REAL lawyers out there are free to comment.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:17 AM   #28
Site Team - Lou

The reference to Napster was cautionary, not specific to you (or this) case. I mentioned it only to demonstrate the way ISPs are required to turn loose of contact information when presented with a court order to do so.

Many folks believe that since they have a cryptic user name and a "hotmail" email, that they can't be found. In the Napster lawsuits, those "anonymous" users found court summons' at their door fairly quickly.

IF an "injured party" gets a court to agree to a hearing (BIG IF I understand) they will be able to get your information pretty easily.

THAT was the point I was trying to make. I apologize if that was not clear.

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 03-01-2011, 08:06 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Not a real lawyer (or even a fake one ). More of a finance guy. But, I did happen to mention this to an associate who is a real lawyer in e-law or internet law or whatever they call it.

In general, he said...
  1. Internet law is still in its infancy
  2. laws vary by region
In practice, he said ...
  1. It can be quite difficult to file and successfully win suit against a poster for defamation. The company has to show that the poster knowingly stated false information and that this information hurt the company.
  2. The best defense is to be honest. Something about truth being absolute IIRC.

And finally, he said no real lawyer would comment about this topic online for free
Old 03-01-2011, 08:57 AM   #30
Site Team - Lou

Thank you Triguy. Sounds like you were able to find a "real lawyer"

Just heard another radio ad for "Reputation Defender" an Internet watchdog company. They seem to advertise quite a lot and must be offering something to their customers.

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW