Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2015, 03:41 PM   #1

Reading lights over king bed.

Hi:

The reading lights recently stopped working over the king bed in the rear of our Georgetown 364 bunk house. I've replaced every burnt out fuse I can find, which ended up making no difference to anything. Does anyone know where the power originates for those two lights?

I have traced it under the bed, through the floor then it disappears as it runs to the front of the coach.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!
5nomads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 03:43 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

Could be the bulbs or loose connections in the lights themselves.
Old 06-15-2015, 04:17 PM   #3

I wish it were that simple. I dismantled the fixture to check the voltage on the wire, there is none. It's not getting power to the fixture.
Old 06-15-2015, 04:32 PM   #4
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5nomads View Post
I wish it were that simple. I dismantled the fixture to check the voltage on the wire, there is none. It's not getting power to the fixture.
Did you check both fixtures? They are probably connected together. Try tracing them to an overhead light. The wiring is crazy in rv's as you are finding out. The ground wires are notorious for not being grounded.
Old 06-15-2015, 10:45 PM   #5

Excellent question, I'll make sure tomorrow. Neither fixture works. A single pair of wires goes into the wall behind the bed and there are two pairs at the fixture I tested with a crimp connector. Presumably the extra pair goes to the other fixture. No power there, I'll make sure there's nothing wrong at the other fixture too. But this leads me to believe the problem is with a fuse I can't find.
Old 06-16-2015, 12:30 PM   #6

Now power to the other fixture, it's the end of the line so there's no where to trace after that.

I'll have to crawl under the rig again to see if I can find out where it goes. I was hoping someone would know where that line runs and hooks into the power so I could start at the source.

Thanks again.
Old 06-16-2015, 01:06 PM   #7

not sure where they originate, but we replaced our entire switch,(2), with 12 volt dimmer twist knobs and they work great so they are dimmable.
DAPYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 01:08 PM   #8

That's a good idea, I like it.
Old 06-16-2015, 02:54 PM   #9

On first outing this year, the light over slide out dinette stopped working. Nephew did extensive tests at the light and found there was a good ground and voltage which dropped from 12 to 7 when any load was applied. Stared at the other end at home. I removed every 12V fuse and tested. Found one had a bit of scorch spot and plastic head was slightly melted. Cleaned off scorch. After all that, the light has been working fine.
BobHanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 04:02 PM   #10

Bob, where was that scorched fuse located - which fuse box. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Sbryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 04:42 PM   #11

There is a drop down door in the wardrobe side of the bedroom (bottom rear). Both 120VAC and 12VDC breakers/fuses are there. Another clue to the location of that main panel is to look directly above where the shore line connects in one of the basement compartments....probably rear left in a motor home. Dirty fuse and loose ground might act the same. Cheers!!
Old 06-16-2015, 05:10 PM   #12

My 120VAC and 12VDC fuses are top left over the bed. I've checked all those.

I also just checked all the fuses in the battery bay and in the fuse box in there Everything looks clean and tight.

I'm at a complete loss.
Old 06-16-2015, 08:00 PM   #13

To be clear, I pulled and tested each 12VDC fuse and tested for continuity. Noticed the funky one while doing this. Scraped both sides of that fuse before putting back in. Just back from checking. My bed reading lights and closets are protected by fuse #5 which is labeled "15 Amp Bedroom". #3 "15 Amp Rear Ceiling" probably handles both independent ceiling fixtures plus the ones controlled by the wall switch.
Old 06-16-2015, 09:12 PM   #14
RetiredRVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAPYES View Post
not sure where they originate, but we replaced our entire switch,(2), with 12 volt dimmer twist knobs and they work great so they are dimmable.
This is a great idea! Could you tell me where you purchased your 12v dimmers?
I've spent too much time looking on the net already!

Thanks, Joe Koenig
checkmate99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 05:19 AM   #15

we have that problem as well. repair shop says it is somewhere in the slide with the wires scraping on something there. They were going to drop the underbelly and pursue it further. For now, we are mounting stick up lights til we are ready to pursue that repair further. Good luck!
lhlee14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 08:11 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhlee14 View Post
we have that problem as well. repair shop says it is somewhere in the slide with the wires scraping on something there. They were going to drop the underbelly and pursue it further. For now, we are mounting stick up lights til we are ready to pursue that repair further. Good luck!
UG, I was afraid of something like that. I really don't want to pull new wire or dismantle anything.

Maybe some of those battery operated LED lights that you can just stick up there would work for now.
Old 06-17-2015, 04:07 PM   #17

Isn't it under warranty? Take it in. Don't worry about it anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 06-17-2015, 06:27 PM   #18

We're on the way to Alaska, so we really can't.

Tags
bed, king bed, light