Old 05-31-2016, 12:14 AM   #1

Rear A/C gave up the ghost...

If you remember the saga, my rear A/C had some issues about 5 weeks ago. The OH sensor went out causing the unit to short cycle. They guys that came out to look at it said these parts usually don't go out on a new unit...saying it was probably a sign of the compressor going next.

Well I replaced that part as one would and low and behold this morning the unit stopped cooling...laying in bed this morning, I heard the unit try to kick on....then came the buzz and click of the compressor trying to start. This repeated itself about every 20-30 seconds until I turned the unit off.

I ran the front unit down to 68 before we left for the day - knowing that it wouldn't stay there....it was 83 in the front when we got back around 5PM...90ish outside. it was close to 87 in the back...Once the sun went down we got the front and ultimately rear cooled down - will have a comfortable sleep - heading home tomorrow any ways.

We have a date with the RV Doctor next week - pre-planned to look at the A/C - now they really have something broke to look at.

Sadly to say, the Residential Fridges inverter looks like it went out too. Checked it our yesterday - tried to reset the GFI switch too and plugged in a small fan to see if had any power while running on the battery - looks like that is one the list too.

I guess that's enough for one post.

cmalberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 03:12 PM   #2

I am guessing you have a Dometic Brisk Air 2 AC like I have. Mine front unit went out, Dometic replaced the whole unit on warranty. These units are not serviceable. I also had issues with the inverter the inverter gfi kept tripping once I disconnected shore power. Not sure if this was the cause but I checked water levels in the batteries and noticed loose connections on the cables, so I tightened all of the cable connections. After that the inverter has been working fine, not sure if there is any correlation or the inverter just started working on it's own.

Old 06-03-2016, 03:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS396CV View Post
I am guessing you have a Dometic Brisk Air 2 AC like I have. Mine front unit went out, Dometic replaced the whole unit on warranty. These units are not serviceable. I also had issues with the inverter the inverter gfi kept tripping once I disconnected shore power. Not sure if this was the cause but I checked water levels in the batteries and noticed loose connections on the cables, so I tightened all of the cable connections. After that the inverter has been working fine, not sure if there is any correlation or the inverter just started working on it's own.
Thanks for the comments. It could be worth a shot checking the cables. I don't remember if I checked the GFI when disconnected from shore power or not...however there was no clicking when pressing either side which I found odd.

I am sure the A/C will be a complete replacement covered by FR or Dometic. All will be well eventually.

If I discover something of interest I will post back...
cmalberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 03:28 PM   #4

Dometic covered mine, there is a 2 year warranty
Old 06-03-2016, 03:45 PM   #5

There is another thread on here about the Dometic Air Conditioners. I've been through 4 already on my Cherokee TT.
2000 F250 CC SD V10 4X4 8' bed, 4:30 gears, SCT X3
2007 Mustang Convertible V6 - Lots of GT mods
1965 Mustang Coupe I6, 3 spd. manual
1963 Thunderbird Landau 390
kc5mhb is offline   Reply With Quote