Old 09-25-2016, 09:36 AM   #1

Rear Brake, emergency flasher and turn signals quit working

I just purchased a 2007 Georgetown. The rear lights worked pulling off the lot according to the seller. By the time I got home the brake lights, emergency flashers and turn signals quit working in the rear only, front still works. All other lignts, parking , running etc. work fine.

Anyone have any ideas? I've been through every fuse box I could find, the one by driver's left foot and the one in the forward compartment infront of the engine...are there more fuses?

I'm at a loss,

Thanks,
George

Old 09-25-2016, 09:54 AM   #2

George,
Time to learn about your motorhome.
If this happened to me I would check and see what the wires look like in the rear underside harness.
If you do not find any loose wired or any splices and looks like ok I would start checking the fuse panel under the dash on the drivers side.
See attached pictures. Look at the yellow fuses which are 20 amp.
Now what fuses to check would be larger fuses 20 amp. If the dash panel fuses are good I would look at the fuse panel in the engine compartment behind the air filter mounted on the fire wall.

Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Yellowstone_July2012 060.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	493.4 KB
ID:	121216   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	317.9 KB
ID:	121217  

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 10:01 AM   #3

Couple ideas...
First. If the hazard switch is on the column. Snap it on and off 6-8 times. My signals went psycho the other day on TV. Fixed it

I have seen more than one time someone boosted or put a large charger on and burned out several bulbs at once.

Both cheap checks.

On most vehicles the stop lights go through the signal switch because of the interrupter circuit.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Days camped 2016 8 2017 13
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 10:04 AM   #4

BTW. Most vehicles have separate fuses for stop, tail and hazard.

Old 09-25-2016, 12:59 PM   #5

This happened to me.

All the advice you have been given is excellent. When this happened to me, it turned out that there is a fuse in my 2008 Dodge that regulated electrical flow from truck to RV tail lights. The fuse was blown. Replaced fuse and back in business,
Old 09-25-2016, 01:14 PM   #6

No lights

GM, at least my 3500s, have seperate controllers and fuses for lightd truck and lights trailer. Not sure if this would apply in this situation.
Old 09-25-2016, 01:26 PM   #7

There could be a common ground for those rear lights. Ground wires are notorious for getting loose and causing the lights to go out.

2007 Cardinal 30W LE
2008 Ford F-250 Long Bed Diesel
Total of 23 Months on the Road Since 2008
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 08:24 AM   #8

Thank you all, great Ideas! I've check all suggested above, rear cabling, and fuses. Thank you Iggy! Really couldn't find the fuse chart on line. Do you have one for the inside engine compartment fuse box? Can anyone tell me where to get a manual for a 2007 Georgetown? I've searched and searched online but no luck.

I'm down to thinking it's bulbs. When I turn running lights on, the left two lights are on but not the right. This is new, which leads me think bulbs. I couldn't get the lens covers off due to mismatched screw head sizes. These use square head tools. I had one for the #2 screws but not for whatever the other sized is. It's not #1, seems smaller.

I've taken it back to the private seller from whom I purchased it. He runs an RV repair service and gave me a couple of weeks of free service if anything was wrong. Everything else checks out fine except the lights, so I am very pleased with my purchase.

Thank you all for your replies. I love forums that have engaged and supporting members. I look forward to making my own contributions.

George
Old 09-26-2016, 11:22 AM   #9

It's the bulbs. Person repairing said darnedest thing here seen, all popping at the same time. Also explained the two different screws, one set of 4 for the lens (square) the other set for housing(Phillips). He's putting heavy duty tractor bulbs in. Might be overkill but better safe than sorry. Hope this thread helps someone else down the road, pun intended, that might experience the same problem..
Old 09-26-2016, 12:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeM1956 View Post
It's the bulbs. Person repairing said darnedest thing here seen, all popping at the same time. Also explained the two different screws, one set of 4 for the lens (square) the other set for housing(Phillips). He's putting heavy duty tractor bulbs in. Might be overkill but better safe than sorry. Hope this thread helps someone else down the road, pun intended, that might experience the same problem..

Memory tells me there is a bad ground or surge(as mentioned earlier). The bulbs will be the fuse when a surge(over heat) bad connection(fuse link).
Glad you figured it out.