Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2012, 10:42 AM   #1

Rear Suspension Bar Bracket

Heads up for anyone who has not checked this. I was preparing for my departure last week to Mt. Rushmore and looked under my coach and found a bracket hanging down. Crawled under and the bracket was the rear sway bar support bracket. There are two, one on each side just in front of bottom shock bolt. The brackets are horse-collar design with bolt in top and bottom. My bracket (drivers side) the top bolt had vibrated out and was long gone, but in process had bent bracket. My local ford dealer did not have the bolts in stock (12mm x1.75) I went to NAPA and bought one. it was 1/2 too long and had to be cut. The mechanic who did the work checked the passenger side and found both bolts loose also. My coach is 2011 360 and had 7k miles, do no how long the bolt had been missing. I have noticed one thing though, since repair, when camped now I do not hear the popping sound that I used to hear when moving in coach with jacks down. Plus side, am setting in Black Hills of SD, 1700 miles later and everything is fine, no other issues. Safe travels to all. Dan.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:40 PM   #2

Thanks Dan for the update. With any motorhome it has to be checked regularly. Glad to hear you were able to find a bold for Ford to install.
Thanks and will be heading to MT Rushmore next month from Phoenix via Yellowstone.
Any suggestions on what campground to stay at MT Rushmore?
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 05:37 PM   #3

Iggy I have seen several nice ones, the KOA at Palmer Gulch, hwy 244, is the biggest, closest to Mt. Rushmore, but appears pricey at over 100 per night, might be worth it I do not know. I picked Rafters Bar J Ranch right on hwy 16 and 385, 9 miles from MT Rushmore. I really like this place and its huge with a vast wide open meadow in middle of the 5 different sections and just over 43 a night. Safe travel to you.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:09 PM   #4

photos from Rafters Bar J Ranch

Iggy and anyone else interested, a few photos from Rafters near Hill City SD.(3 miles). I am not connected anyway or form to this place, just staying here and like it. Couple photos, my current site and to the rear of my site and a couple of the other sections. Hope this is of use.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1284.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	15149   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1285.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	15151  
Old 06-11-2012, 06:20 PM   #5

Nice location. What's that green stuff on the ground?
I haven't seen that stuff here in Arizona.
Do they paint the rocks there?

Thanks
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:33 PM   #6

Don't worry there are still plenty of rocks to make you feel at home Iggy.