Old 07-28-2012, 08:19 PM   #1

Rear Sway Bar clamp bolts fall out

The two "C" brackets that support the Rear Sway Bar are not job 1 for Ford. I have a 2011 360, 16 months old now, at 7,000 miles, the day of a big trip to SD and Wy. I saw the bracket hanging down under the coach. The top bolt, 12mm, had come loose and fell out. The Sway Bar then bends the bracket bouncing around. Very few, if any Ford Dealer stocks these parts. I bought a bolt from Napa since my dealer did not have and I needed to leave asap. Bracket was re formed in a vice and bolt was cut to right size and lock tight added. This bracket is still together at 12,400 miles, which brings me to the Passenger side, leaving for Vermont last week, damn if the passenger side top bolt had not fallen out. Called the Ford RV line and they were nice but could not locate a dealer up I-81 with parts, had a Ford Tech call me back and tell me I could drive it without a sway bar, which I replied I could, but did not want too. I am sitting at the KOA in Quechee Vt., and bracket is not fixed but the ford dealer in White River Junction found me one in RI, will stop on way home. Tightening the bolts does not work, they have to come out and have lok tight or similar applied. Oh, ford says they have no information on this issue. Beware.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-07-21_11-02-59_271.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	17207  

Old 07-28-2012, 09:23 PM   #2

Next chance will check mine again. Lock-tite for sure even if they aren't loose.

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:55 PM   #3

Had the same problem, about 5000 mi.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:33 PM   #4

By any chance did you do the modification of the link on the sway bay?
Could that be doing it?

Old 07-30-2012, 08:23 AM   #5

Iggy, I have not touched the sway bar, while under warranty. I am not really sure I want to any way. Local dealer told me he had a guy come in and have them move the bar and then came back month later and wanted it put back. Not sure if the mod is worth the trouble, I handle pretty good now considering how many mountains I have been thru in 12k + miles. The F53 I have is a awesome, on power and performance. This simple screw up is just irritating but not knocking ford. If only they could use more sound proofing when climbing a 6% at 60mph, the roar is rough but engine is super.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:19 AM   #6

FYI
I replaced the rear swar bar bushings with
polyurethane type bushings
Bought them on E-bay for 45.00 + 5.00 shipping
(2 c brackets were still tight)
The stock rubber ones were very beat-up
I did do the sway bar modification abour 2000 miles ago

2008 373 Georgetown 25453 miles
Old 08-02-2012, 12:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo bamboo View Post
FYI
I replaced the rear swar bar bushings with
polyurethane type bushings
Bought them on E-bay for 45.00 + 5.00 shipping
(2 c brackets were still tight)
The stock rubber ones were very beat-up
I did do the sway bar modification abour 2000 miles ago

2008 373 Georgetown 25453 miles

Do you have the particular part number or size for your bushings?
I've read the sway bar was a bit larger in the newer 2011, 2012 for GVCW of 26,000 lbs. I think the new ones are 38.1 mm , 1.5" diameter
Can anyone verify?

Old 08-02-2012, 05:03 PM   #8

Item specifics

Condition: New: A brand-new, unused, unopened, undamaged item in its original packaging (where packaging is applicable). Packaging should be the same as what is found in a retail store, unless the item was packaged by the manufacturer in non-retail packaging, such as an unprinted box or plastic bag. See the seller's listing for full details. See all condition definitions- opens in a new window or tab... Read moreabout the condition
Part Brand: PolyurethaneSurface Finish: PolyurethaneManufacturer Part Number: 1999-2011Warranty: YesPlacement on Vehicle: RearHere is a set of High performance polyurethane rear sway bar bushings custom manufactured in the U.S. of A. for the Ford F53 stripped Class A motorhome chassis, years 1999-2011. OEM Ford bushings are made from neoprene rubber that disintegrate over time leaving your sway bar unsupported in the brackets, making your Class A Motorhome hard to handle on the road. What you get is the two polyurethane bushings pictured along with 2 tubes of special synthetic grease to keep the sway bar from squeaking in the bushing. You will reuse your original heavy duty steel bushing caps, cap in picture is shown for illustration purposes only. Buy with confidence!, If you are not happy with the purchase of your bushings for any reason, simply return the bushings in used or unused condition within 30 days and I will refund 100% of your purchase price! No one else out there offers polyurethane sway bar bushings for the F53 class A motorhome chassis's with V10 engines at this price or quality. These polyurethane bushings come with a lifetime warranty to original purchaser.

The bushings pictured fit the 36MM (About1 3/8") sway bar used exclusively from years 1999-2011.