Old 07-05-2015, 11:39 AM   #1

Recommended Flat Towing Systems

I have a 2015 Georgetown 377xl BD Edition and just bought a 2015 Jeep Sahara 2 door. Any recommendations for a flat towing system?

Old 07-05-2015, 12:06 PM   #2

Use blue ox with patriot breaking system for my Ford Explorer 2014 for the last year, work great.

Denis, Forest river Georgetown XL 377 towing a 2014 Ford Explorer.

Old 07-05-2015, 01:11 PM   #3

I use the NSA Ready Brute Elite towbar with built in surge brake. For the Jeep Wrangler I installed a Blue Ox baseplate. The combination works great, and it is so much easier having the braking system built in, rather than having to install a Brake Buddy type of device each time I tow. It is also much less expensive. The tow bar with built in brake was about $950 when I purchased it two years ago. A braking system alone can cost more than that.

The baseplate was about $350, but another option to consider is a replacement front bumper that has the towbar brackets welded on. A new bumper costs more than a baseplate, but also has the option of easily adding a winch for off road use.

More info here:
NSA RV Products - Ready Brake and Ready Brute Home
Old 07-05-2015, 02:14 PM   #4

I use a Roadmaster Sterling ALL Terrain bar.
The nice thing with this is the ability to twist and change angles when you hit dips and large angles. Rotates also.
This is a heavy duty one but also very easy to hookup and disconnect in any angle.
It also has automatic adjustments so you really don't have to do much after hooking up.
I bought my on Craigslsit from someone who no longer needed it was a great price $450 which included the Roadmaster rock guard.

I did have to buy the longer safety cables because of my extension, drop and the distance from the Georgetown cable holes .

http://www.etrailer.com/Tow-Bars/Roadmaster/RM-576.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4201.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	417.9 KB
ID:	82104   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4202.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	518.0 KB
ID:	82105  

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 10:11 PM   #5

Blue Ox Aventa LX/Brake Buddy Vantage Select

I went with these two after reading numerous posts and the recommendation of my service/parts guy. We've been running it for a year with no issues on my 2009 Pontiac Vibe. I just added a Swagman platform bike rack using a dual receiver. Clearance was going to be an issue so I added an 8" extension (not in the picture). If I had to do it over, I'd make sure I got the 16 3/4" (Blue Ox Part#84-0098) optional hitch connector to provide more clearance without using an extension.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	491.9 KB
ID:	82147  
Old 07-05-2015, 10:42 PM   #6

I just installed a LOD bumper on my 15 wrangler 4 dr. LOD welded on the tabs for my Roadmaster Falcon All -terrain towbar. Had a Invisibrake installed and it tows GREAT behind my 14 377

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 07-06-2015, 02:33 PM   #7

I have a 2015 Georgetown towing a 2010 Jeep Liberty. I tried the Blue Ox Patriot and ran into major problems: 1 Four-wheel lock-up. Factory told me how to get into internal codes and determined it was a hard drive failure, so they overnighted another one which locked up for a different reason: the actuator arm stuck in the full forward position. Even if they worked right, there are three other significant operating issues: 1. the Jeep's floor has a built-in hump at the driver's heel. Even with the optional extendable legs, the unit was unstable; 2. The Jeep's seat cushions are very soft which allows the Patriot to sink into it before allowing the actuating arm to go forward (A $52 base plate resolves this, but only to a point.) The result of this and the unstable leg arrangement allows the unit to tip over at a 20-30 degree angle when activated; 3. The actuator arm is relatively slow and doesn't keep up with the speed of the MH braking action. (I think users "believe" it is working fine, but don't really observe it in action.) The unit is cumbersome, somewhat a bother to install and uninstall, has to be stored somewhere each time, and is actually more expensive than some permanent units. While several very good permanent systems are mentioned above, I went with the SMI Stay-IN-Play. (It took a bit of work to install it - might be worth paying someone to do it if you are not an experienced DIYer.) Now, just a simple flip of one switch and we're on the road.
Old 07-06-2015, 03:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilap View Post
Use blue ox with patriot breaking system for my Ford Explorer 2014 for the last year, work great.
Denis, Forest river Georgetown XL 377 towing a 2014 Ford Explorer.

Same here ... complete Blue Ox base plate, Aventa tow bar, and Patriot brake system for my 2015 Ford Explorer. Have had no problems on short trips so far, but headed out tomorrow on our first long trip towing and will see how it works.
Old 07-06-2015, 03:27 PM   #9

Okay, thanks!
Old 07-06-2015, 04:02 PM   #10

Another thing you will need is to hook up the Jeep's brake and turn signal lights to the Georgetown when towing. There are several ways to do this. You can use external stick on lights, add new bulbs and wiring to the existing tail lights, or run wires to the existing bulbs.

An easy way to connect to the Jeep's existing wiring is to use a kit such as the one sold by Cool Tech:

JK Tow Harness Deluxe Kit - CoolTechLLC

It's a little pricey, but high quality. The folks at the Wrangler Forum really like it. On 2008 and newer Wranglers you do not need to use the kit's battery disconnect. I made my own version wiring harness for a lot less using a trailer hitch lighting harness for the wrangler. With the kit or my cheaper way, you do not cut into the Jeep factory wiring at all. The new wiring harness simply plugs into the Jeep tail light connector at the driver's side.

Another tip is that you can run the tail light wiring inside the Jeep's box frame so it is protected. The "professional" installations that I have seen simply used nylon wire ties to attach the wiring wherever it was convenient under the Jeep. Fishing the wiring inside the frame was not difficult, as there are several drain holes along the frame. Just pull the wire harness from one hole to the next. I also used split loom tubing to provide additional protection for the wiring. Installing the wiring inside the Jeep's frame is a little time consuming, but well worth the effort.

Tags
towing